United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Boredom in Church
If I were to ask you whether you ever found Liturgy boring, that is, ever found yourself bored during Liturgy, what would you answer? I think most people would be able to say that, at least some of the time, they do. The next question then, is why? I want to give three reasons why I think it is so.

The first is because we have become accustomed to, even dependent on constant, unceasing amusement and distraction. We have no silence, no quiet; we are surrounded by constant stimuli: cell phones, text messaging, Facebook, movies, television, video games, etc. We have so many option to distract ourselves, that we seldom seek the quiet needed to really think or pray. When we are not amusing ourselves, then we are bored. But quiet is necessary for any real spiritual life. If we let our lives be characterized with constant amusement and distraction, the Church cannot compete, for it does not offer these things.

Secondly, and related, is the fact that we are hedonists – we live for the sake of experiencing pleasure. Our culture tells us that this is normal. If we are not experiencing pleasure or ‘having fun’, then we feel somehow deprived. Such an attitude puts us at the center of our own world. Of course, as long as we remain self-centered, the Christian life – and the worship of the Church – will seem miserable, because these things are God-centered; and we will end up asking ourselves: “Can’t church be shorter? funner? more entertaining? easier?!” The paradox however, is that we are not happiest when we are at the center of our own world. Ultimately, happiness does not come from hedonism (living for fun). It may come as a surprise, but fun is NOT the key to happiness.

And this brings us to our third reason, namely, that the worship of the Church is a thing very foreign to us. For may of us, it has no connection to the rest of our life. If we do not pray regularly during the rest of the week, and if we do not make peace and stillness some part of our life during the week, then when we come to church on Sunday morning, we will be entering into something very different from the rest of our life, something that goes against the grain of how we normally live.

I am afraid that the above points describe most of us, teens and adults, to a greater or lesser degree. It is simply part of living in 21st century Western society. But I want to give three suggestions to help us work against this reality, and so enable us to draw greater treasures out of the Liturgy than we would otherwise: 1) Firstly, learn to cultivate a love for silence; learn to live at least a little bit each day without stimuli. Turn the TV and cell phone off. 2) Secondly, remember, as I have said, that fun is not the key to happiness. Strive always to put Christ at the center of your life, by avoiding sin and trying to live according to His will. And 3) thirdly, pray at home every day, even if only very briefly – a few short prayers. If you make prayer a part of your lifestyle, then what you do in church on Sunday morning will no longer be so foreign, but will rather become the natural fulfilment of your private prayer life, and as such, will become far more meaningful; you will even begin to look forward to it.

These things involve a change in lifestyle, and that is never easy, but it is necessary, if we want joy, peace, and fulfilment, in this life and in the next. The ancient Pythagoreans had a saying, and I will leave you with it: “Choose the best way of life, and habit will make it sweet.”

Forgive me...

Last edited:

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Very, very good stuff. Thanks, bro.

It speaks volumes to the desire to change our worship to fit us rather than changing us to fit our worship, or as the old grandmother said, "If you don't have what you want, then change what you want."

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Problem with me is that with my strange sense of humour, I can find the liturgy quite funny and entertaining anyway, and find I'm ending up sharing the fun with Jesus - hopefully that is all right, as at least I'm focussing my attention on Him, even if not in quite the way intended.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that most of today's Christian churches seem to be entertainment oriented putting a pastor/preacher/priest and choir/rock band as the entertainment leaving the rest of the members of the church as spectators. That is not the Lord's intent for His church. He wants a living Body of believers who all enjoy Him and share Him with one another.

I agree that we need to
Strive always to put Christ at the center of your life, by avoiding sin and trying to live according to His will. And ... pray at home every day,

We need to be those who are living Christ every day. The Lord did not intend for us to have a separate spiritual life for one or two hours a week on Sunday only. His intent is for us to live Him always - unceasingly pray, and enjoy Him every day. Then, when we do gather together with other saints, we all will have a psalm, hymn and something to share of Christ with one another and we won't be bored.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

To your three reasons I would also add a fourth for your consideration, as follows:

1. The division between the priesthood and the laity. As long as there is only one individual actively worshiping God with the remainder being passive onlookers, boredom is the natural outcome. When Christians begin to exercise their priesthood in offering up worship and praise, whether actively or silently, they become engaged with God. It is difficult to do that when one is distracted by various forms of "worship" which become mere entertainment. I include the entire spectrum from Contemporary Christian Worship to Traditional Liturgies. God has not called believers to be passive priests. I Peter 2:5-10.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To your three reasons I would also add a fourth for your consideration, as follows:

1. The division between the priesthood and the laity. As long as there is only one individual actively worshiping God with the remainder being passive onlookers, boredom is the natural outcome. When Christians begin to exercise their priesthood in offering up worship and praise, whether actively or silently, they become engaged with God. It is difficult to do that when one is distracted by various forms of "worship" which become mere entertainment. I include the entire spectrum from Contemporary Christian Worship to Traditional Liturgies. God has not called believers to be passive priests. I Peter 2:5-10.

In "The Divine Liturgy" of the Orthodox Churches, every present member should participate. From beginning to end.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

1. The division between the priesthood and the laity.

There is no such thing. The priest leads the people in worship but he is not acting by himself. Now whether you choose to participate or just stand there like a dead tree, that's up to you.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't relate to the OP article at all...Here's some scripture on worshiping the Lord...I love worshiping, He created me and knows me personally...

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If I were to ask you whether you ever found Liturgy boring, that is, ever found yourself bored during Liturgy, what would you answer? I think most people would be able to say that, at least some of the time, they do. The next question then, is why? I want to give three reasons why I think it is so.

The first is because we have become accustomed to, even dependent on constant, unceasing amusement and distraction.

When I was involved in a liturgical group , this was not why I was bored .

Secondly, and related, is the fact that we are hedonists – we live for the sake of experiencing pleasure.

This was not the reason , either .

And this brings us to our third reason, namely, that the worship of the Church is a thing very foreign to us.

This certainly was not the reason .

I was bored for many reasons . The biggest reason was because ... it was boring . It was the same thing over and over again . No real interaction except directed phrases over and over again . No actions but that was done over and over again .

Place on top of that was that I had one option - go to mass or go to hell . Not to mention that my parents wouldn't stand for it - hell would be a better option in that case .

You force people to do something and have that something be the same thing every time and have most of the moderators give their part in a monotone ... what do you expect ? If the master of ceremonies sounds bored with what they are doing , don't blame the audience .

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was bored for many reasons . The biggest reason was because ... it was boring . It was the same thing over and over again . No real interaction except directed phrases over and over again . No actions but that was done over and over again .

I went to a local megachurch last Saturday to see a relative's daughter perform in a performance. It included a couple of guys swinging over the audience on a rope. You can see it in the slideshow on the church's homepage here. (I saw Ted Nugent do the same thing in 1977.)

It's fine when you get chocolate in my peanut butter, but please don't get your entertaining world in my Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went to a local megachurch last Saturday to see a relative's daughter perform in a performance. It included a couple of guys swinging over the audience on a rope. You can see it in the slideshow on the church's homepage here. (I saw Ted Nugent do the same thing in 1977.)

It's fine when you get chocolate in my peanut butter, but please don't get your entertaining world in my Church.
surprise.gif
You've got to be kidding me! *groan* But you said it was during a "performance," not during the liturgy or anything.

Just my thoughts on this....The Divine Liturgy, or worship service is not to be entertained, but to be there to participate in praying to the Lord. The priest isn't there to entertain you or "feed you," but to face the Altar with the rest of his congregation in prayer to our God. These types of "entertainment" are for the community hall after liturgy while talking and drinking coffee and having a nice time with one's parishioners, not during the holy service of constant, fervent prayer to our Lord and God, and anticipating partaking of his Holy Mysteries. :confused: :sorry:

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Not worship...Ringling Brothers would be proud.

Upvote 0