Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
greenbiblelrg.jpg

The Green Bible
New Revised Standard Version
(HarperOne, 1312pgs, $30h)

How is a Christian to respond to environmentalism? Personally, I cringe when I see someone’s trash dumped along roadsides and I wonder if maybe we could serve our planet better every time I pass by industrial smokestacks profitably billowing great clouds of pollution into the air I happen to be breathing along the Interstate I happen to be driving. Some of my friends have accused me of buying into “left-wing propaganda’ when I complain about it. I want to help clean up the planet without joining the Sierra Club but facing my vociferous friends is a bit intimidating. I guess you might call me a closet environmentalist. I just quietly pick up people’s gum wrappers and try to mind my own business.

But I am noticing that more and more prominent Christians lifting their voices about the way we are treating Mother Earth. Recently, I heard a speaker at a conference, a well-known evangelical, bluntly say that God’s directive for humans to have dominion over Mother Earth did not give us a license to rape her (his words, not mine). He went on to point out that God’s first assignment to mankind was to tend his garden; not exploit it. With guys like that leading the way, I am slowly easing out of the closet.

So I was intrigued to learn that Harper Publishers has released “The Green Bible” in the New Revised Standard Version, an edition with more than 1,000 passages highlighted in green that address God's love for creation and the challenges we face as stewards of his green earth. Despite decades of reading scripture, I had no idea those verses I had applied to other areas of life were actually talking about my responsibility as a warden of God’s creation. So much of what Jesus said had to do with the earth: fields sown with seed, vineyards filled with grapes, wheat ready to harvest, fig trees, vines, and gardens all figure prominently in his teaching.

“The Green Bible” does not just preach at you, it actually practices what it preaches. Produced in an eco-friendly printing process with soy-based inks, recycled paper, with a cotton/linen cover, it opens with St. Francis’ "Canticle of the Creatures" followed by Wendell Berry's poem "The Clearing Rests in Song and Shade.” J. Matthew Sleeth provides an essay on "The Power of a Green God," and Calvin DeWitt gives us "Reading the Bible through a Green Lens." Other articles are offered by N. T. Wright, Brian McLaren, Desmond Tutu, Pope John Paul II, Ellen Bernstein, and others reflecting Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish perspectives. The Green Bible also has the following features: historical quotes on Christian teachings about creation from Augustine to C. S. Lewis; a Green Bible Trail study guide which accentuates Bible passages that touch on six green themes in the Scriptures; a green subject index that includes listings of Bible passages that cover such topics as animals, caring for your neighbor, land and water, plus a resource guide with suggestions on how to start a green group in your church and simple ways to practice creation care in daily life.

It may be a tad overly-ecumenical for some and will not appeal everybody but for those interested in what the Bible says about environmental issues it can be a helpful resource.

Last edited:

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Disclaimer. The above review is FYI and for a general readership audience—Evangelical, Catholic, and non-Christian and is not necessarily meant to reflect personal views.

If you want to debate environmentalism you might consider opening such a thread in the debate forum.

~Ophelia Payne
Walls built to keep others out also keep you in.

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Al Gore would love it as a Christmas gift.

~ Don't you know that Al Gore actually wrote it? In fact, Al Gore was the original translator for the King James Bible as well. Not to mention having discovered love canal, invented the internet etc...
~ Can you imagine if he had been president during 9/11? He would be apologizing for inventing terrorism and islamo-fascism.

~ Back on topic though: I do think we need to be responsible stewards of God's creation. Having been around the world a few times I have seen how bad things are when people dont respect God's creation and throw trash everywhere. As an observation, I find that the more societies treat others like trash, the more likely they are to have a trash/pollution problem of their own....
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
It wouldn't be my top choice for a sole study bible -- right now it's hard to imagine anything displacing the new ESV Study Bible, which I've fallen in love with -- but I think I'd like to have one in my collection.

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
While I would not spend money to buy the reen bible, I would love to know what the 'green' verses are.

I am WAY OUT OF THE CLOSET on this one. God's creation is an expression of His creative beauty and caring. We might as well spit in His face if we handle our trash irresponsibly.

In developing countries, lack of knowledge in caring for the earth, leads to disease and death. Zimbabwe pops to mind.

As far as corporate responsiblity regarding care of the planet? "To whom much is given, much is required."

When Jesus healed the paralytic, He told him to pick up his mat and go. I understand that to mean that we are still responsible for what we don't need anymore.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forward by Desmond Tutu? Hmm...I tend to back away from anything that says "green" on it. I feel like I'm being lectured or talked down too.

Could your bias be showing through here? Sometimes we accuse prejudiced people with the same misdirected prejudices we are guilty of.

The articles in the Green Bible are not just from eco-friendly Evangelicals (although there are some in the mix) but from a broad array of Judeo-Christians, including Bishop Tutu, Pope John Paul, N.T. Wright, and Barbara Brown Taylor, all bringing a different insight into God’s love for this planet and our responsibility as stewards.

Even if you don’t read the articles, the eco-scriptures highlighted in green will be an eye-opener.

But, hey, you don’t have to buy one if you don’t want one but maybe you should at least look at one up before you shoot it down. ;)

~Barry D. Hatchett
Sometimes it takes as much faith to let go as it does to hang on.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could your bias be showing through here? Sometimes we accuse prejudiced people with the same misdirected prejudices we are guilty of.

The articles in the Green Bible are not just from eco-friendly Evangelicals (although there are some in the mix) but from a broad array of Judeo-Christians, including Bishop Tutu, Pope John Paul, N.T. Wright, and Barbara Brown Taylor, all bringing a different insight into God’s love for this planet and our responsibility as stewards.

Even if you don’t read the articles, the eco-scriptures highlighted in green will be an eye-opener.

But, hey, you don’t have to buy one if you don’t want one but maybe you should at least look at one up before you shoot it down. ;)

~Barry D. Hatchett

Jim, if I come across it in a bookstore I'll give it a look, but to be honest it won't be on my top ten wish list. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim, if I come across it in a bookstore I'll give it a look, but to be honest it won't be on my top ten wish list. :)
^_^ That’s okay.

~Barry D. Hatchett

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.