Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SEEKING ALLAH, FINDING JESUS
A DEVOUT MUSLIM ENCOUNTERS CHRISTIANITY

Nabeel Qureshi
(Zondervan, 287pp, $17p)

We are told that ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds hatred, and hatred breeds violence. It’s like a chain reaction. After 9/11,“the worst attack in history on American soil,” I think I fell victim to it and tended to broad-brush Muslims—all Muslims, suspicious of any person who wore an abaya or burqa, reasoning from my colossal ignorance that Muslims—all Muslims—were terrorists to be feared, distrusted, deported, finis, finale, period. Then, I met a person, who had been in the Middle-East for decades, living Jesus among Muslims in Iran, Lebanon, and Israel. He was Caucasian, an American, a Christian, and frankly told me that he loved Muslims, deeply, and would gladly give his life for any one of them. In fact, after 40 years among them could not imagine life apart from them. That meeting made an impression on me, began to change my perspective, and lessen my suspicion. But it took Nabeel Qureshi to bring me to full term.

Qureshi’s narrative autobiography, “Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus,” tells the story of a devout Muslim’s encounter with Christianity and how it changed everything. The chapters are short, page-turning accounts of the significant moments of his life leading to his eventual decision to follow Christ. His stated purpose is threefold: first, to tear down walls by giving non-Muslims an insider’s perspective into the Muslim heart and mind (the appendix contains a helpful glossary of otherwise unfamiliar Islamic religious terms); second, to assess the claims of Islam and show the overwhelming strength of Christianity; and finally, to show the immense struggle of Muslims confronted by the claims of Christ while, at the same time, grappling with misinformation about Christianity.

According to Qureshi there are enormous obstacles every Muslim faces when considering the gospel, things like losing the relationships they have built over a lifetime, even potentially losing their life, and if they are wrong, losing their afterlife in paradise. It is no understatement to say that Muslims risk everything to embrace the cross. They, more than most, see these words of Jesus in a much starker light, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must deny himself, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.” For most of us in the Western world it is not nearly as radical a step as it was for those like Qureshi. My new life in Christ cost very little by comparison.

Today, Qureshi has taken that giant leap of faith and is a Christian. Not just a Christian, but a committed and outspoken public defender of the Christian faith, an apologist affiliated with Ravi Zacharias. (This book is also available in MP3, audio, and Kindle).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author bio

Nabeel Qureshi
is a former devout Muslim who was convinced of the truth of the Gospel through historical reasoning and a spiritual search for God. Since his conversion, he has dedicated his life to spreading the Gospel through teaching, preaching, writing, and debating.
Nabeel has given lectures at universities and seminaries throughout North America, including New York University, Rutgers, the University of North Carolina, the University of Ottawa, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and Biola University. He has participated in 17 moderated, public debates around North America, Europe, and Asia. His focus is on the foundations of the Christian faith and the early history and teachings of Islam.
Nabeel is a member of the speaking team at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries. He holds an MD from Eastern Virginia Medical School, an MA in Christian apologetics from Biola University, and an MA from Duke University in Religion.

Ref.: Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This article makes me wonder if Jesus is cherry picking people in the Muslim faith to join us on the trail to the narrow gate, but then again I'm one of those pesky American born, American bred, American loving souls that that thinks America is the best, because of our fore fathers having faith to put: "In God We Trust" on our money.

Bad me, prejudice red neck American serving the Lord.

Thank you Lord for calling me

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm. According to the U.S. Treasury Dept., the phrase “In God We Trust” did not appear on American currency until 1964.

$1 Federal Reserve Note
February 12 1964

$5 United States Note
January 23, 1964

$5 Federal Reserve Note
July 31, 1964

$10 Federal Reserve Note
February 24, 1964

$20 Federal Reserve Note
October 7, 1964

$50 Federal Reserve Note
August 24, 1966