Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Okay. One of my favorite books to recommend is Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown. I will say this about his book, it is a real eye opener and it will break your heart. I would also recommend reading books written by Vine Deloria, Jr. But one of my favorite authors is Craig Johnson. He writes the Longmire book series.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
G K Chesterton Orthodoxy, - reading it now, it is a classic and I can understand why.
Other G K Chesterton, if you can stand his British humour, which I quite like.
Mere Christianity by C S Lewis is supposed to be another classic (which I haven't read).
some others, I'll get back to you on

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay. One of my favorite books to recommend is Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown. I will say this about his book, it is a real eye opener and it will break your heart. I would also recommend reading books written by Vine Deloria, Jr. But one of my favorite authors is Craig Johnson. He writes the Longmire book series.
Cool, I've read Bury my Heart, but it's been a while, might be time to reread it. I'll look into the other authors too.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
G K Chesterton Orthodoxy, - reading it now, it is a classic and I can understand why.
Other G K Chesterton, if you can stand his British humour, which I quite like.
Mere Christianity by C S Lewis is supposed to be another classic (which I haven't read).
some others, I'll get back to you on
Hmm, I've never read Chesterson, I'll have to do so. I started Mere Christianity many years ago but didn't finish it for some reason. It's still on my shelf, I'll have to start again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MG, I think you might like The Holy Longing by Fr. Ronald Rohlheiser. I read it shortly after I was confirmed, it really helped put some things in perspective early on, verified a lot of what I had been through and helped in setting me off in what I hope is the right direction.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You folks are all awesome! I've added books to my Amazon cart, have a list for the library, etc.
Hey, if I start with the last two spiritual books, The Holy Longing and Ferngren's book, maybe I can open a thread to discuss them :)

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I loaned my copy of The Holy Longing to someone who was interested in Catholicism and I haven't seen him since!

I'll have to get a new copy because I have been wanting to start some threads regarding things I've learned from the book. More specifically, Fr. Ron has a section on four non-negotiable aspects of the Christian life one of those being a mellowness of heart. I've been meditating a lot on that lately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Looking for a few good books on faith, reconciling faith with science, Catholicism, etc. I've recently read Seven Storey Mountain and have a copy of Credo by Kung buy haven't read it yet

Have you read any books by Brother Guy Consolmagno? He became the Director of the Vatican Observatory after being named to the position by Pope Francis, and is a MIT graduate who won the prestigious Carl Sagan Medal. I believe he's the only clergy member to ever win it. I think you might enjoy his books. My older brother loves astronomy and had read some of his books in high school then passed them along to me when my interest was sparked. The books convey a lot of information but are lively and captivating so they never feel textbook-esque.

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Mechanics-Scientists-Engineers-Religion/dp/0787994669/ref=sr_1_5/184-7041988-3022708?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462130813&sr=1-5&refinements=p_27:Guy+Consolmagno
http://www.amazon.com/Would-You-Baptize-Extraterrestrial-box/dp/0804136955/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=518D4mBnzBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR108,160_&refRID=13V6DFYDJFAHBZQ4X37Y

Dr. Francis Collins has also written some worthy books.
http://www.amazon.com/Language-God-...462131573&sr=1-1&keywords=dr.+francis+collins
http://www.amazon.com/Language-Life..._UL320_SR212,320_&refRID=09YXSTZ4GR7NPWB0NVYH

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
More specifically, Fr. Ron has a section on four non-negotiable aspects of the Christian life one of those being a mellowness of heart. I've been meditating a lot on that lately.
sounds interesting.

Upvote 0

string_theory

May 2, 2016
Canada
✟15,150.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Looking for a few good books on faith, reconciling faith with science, Catholicism, etc. I've recently read Seven Storey Mountain and have a copy of Credo by Kung buy haven't read it yet

Not Catholic but there's a great Christian apologist named John Lennox. He's a physicist at Oxford (I think) or one of the big universities in the UK.

http://www.johnlennox.org/

He writes extensively on faith and science, and how the two are not in conflict. I've read many of his books. I think he's Anglican. Anyway, great stuff. There's one called Gunning for God that I just read that is excellent.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It does not really have anything to do with science, but you might like Cadfael. You perhaps already know in fact!
This is about a monk detective in the 12th century. Really good plots and investigations and a sensible main character. The show is very good too. I recommend to everyone, Catholic or not!

Upvote 0