AKBlessings

Mar 5, 2015
Alaska
✟21,720.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What books would you recommend for a Catholic interested in knowing more about Orthodoxy? Preferably ones that are less likely to be blunt and offensive to someone who is not wanting to convert, just to understand more. And what would you recommend for someone who is Orthodox and wants to expand their knowledge of the faith and the Saints? Thank you for any suggestions! :)

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What books would you recommend for a Catholic interested in knowing more about Orthodoxy? Preferably ones that are less likely to be blunt and offensive to someone who is not wanting to convert, just to understand more. And what would you recommend for someone who is Orthodox and wants to expand their knowledge of the faith and the Saints? Thank you for any suggestions! :)

I think most commonly recommended book for inquirers or even Orthodox looking to learn more is "The Orthodox Way" by Kallistos Ware. It's fairly high level, so it doesn't get deep into "theology"... it's milk. If you want a more theological book, I would recommend "The Mystical Theology of the Orthodox Church" by Vladimir Lossky...it's meat. Nothing however can really replace experiencing the Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would add "The Orthodox Church" by Met Kallistos as well. if memory serves he does very well showing the errors that creep into the West without being nasty about it.

I think your best bet though, would be to take your Roman friend to Church, let him/her talk to the priest and let that be the guide for what books to get.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ArmyMatt said:
I would add "The Orthodox Church" by Met Kallistos as well. if memory serves he does very well showing the errors that creep into the West without being nasty about it. I think your best bet though, would be to take your Roman friend to Church, let him/her talk to the priest and let that be the guide for what books to get.

I agree with the others about the book from Met Kallistos.

Another one of my favorite books about Orthodoxy is actually compiled by a non-Orthodox Christian. He compiled essays from Orthodox theologians, priests, writers etc. on various subjects within Orthodoxy. It's called "Eastern Orthodox Theology: a Contemporary Reader" by Daniel Clendenin

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
'On the Incarnation', by St Athanasios.

Good in understanding on how the terminology about the Virgin Mary as 'pure' or 'spotless' originate. Usually just fancy ways of describing virginity so you will understand why Orthodoxy use them while are not being bound to a belief in the 'immaculate sinless and without stain' sense.

The acts of the 7 ecumenical councils found on ccel.org Not very entertaining but is the primary source on the christological dogmas and the arguments presented.

The Festal Menaion. The actual liturgical services of the 9 great feasts of Christ and the Theotokos that take place on the fixed cycle of the liturgical calendar. Since this is the actual worship texts, its another primary source. Translated into english by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary.

Upvote 0