The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Sappy is not my type of book either, but it's a far cry from "white magic". Lots of people like sappy.(Hallmark is still in business.) I'd like to see any quote from the book that's contrary to Scripture; otherwise I'd still assume it's a fine devotional.

Yes, that is why my OP asked "what is white magic".... because I just don't see how this book is. This isn't witchcraft or sorcery. A "medium" is someone who talks to dead people, right? I watched that series "Medium" and it was really good, and she's not doing that. She's not claiming to have any special gifts.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
* "Rest in My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day. Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released. Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direct your course one step at a time."
---"And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." Exo 33:14 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Gal 5:22-23 "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way." Psa 37:23

* "You are on the right path. Listen more to Me, and less to your doubts. I am leading you along the way designed just for you."
---"Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. 15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is." Eph 5:14-17 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27

* "You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today. It is in the present moment that I walk close to you, helping you carry your burdens. Keep your focus on My Presence in the present."
---"He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart." Psa 15:2 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." Psa 55:22 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isa 26:3

Thank you for the quotes! There was one on 2/28 that maybe didn't line up with my understanding of HIM, and I can't quote it exactly now because I don't have the book on me, but basically it says "Don't evaluate or judge yourself"... well, I thought we were suppose to examine ourselves http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Examining-Yourself ??

The rest of the devo on 2/28 comforted me a lot because it then goes on to talk about our "affirmations need only come from me".. Remember it's written as if it's HIM talking ;)

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I'm a but paranoid from my past experiences but I wouldn't touch anything even slightlynew age with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks for the post. Can you tell me what is New Age about it? Can we work off this link below. The book isn't any of the 6 things referred to as New Age. This is all I know about New Age - this link below: http://www.gotquestions.org/new-age-movement.html

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
affirmations are a new age thing.
They can be used if you want to identify yourself with Christ, but 'I am' statements are not meant that you think of yourself as God. That seems to be the difference between new age affirmations and encouragement we find in the Bible.

New age is basically a westernised version of hinduism, where God is in everything. in other words, pantheism. Thats why Shirley Maclaine, a famous new age devotee, went round saying 'I am God!'. Well lol we know she's not.

Upvote 0

Caval

Feb 1, 2016
Pacific NW
✟7,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the post. Can you tell me what is New Age about it? Can we work off this link below. The book isn't any of the 6 things referred to as New Age. This is all I know about New Age - this link below: http://www.gotquestions.org/new-age-movement.html

From what I know, new ageism is almost like a high, very ego driven.
It almost takes you to another place, its kind of hidden...but very inviting. It focuses on what a person deserves. Everyone is one with everything. Everything comes from within. That link included a lot of what I was exposed to. I knew a couple people who talked about Jesus but only parts of his teaching, and never ever the whole Bible.
I only read parts of her book on a website so maybe I don't have the whole picture. I just know I wouldn't choose it at this point. Heck I'm still learning the Bible. =)

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does anyone know what "white magic" is? Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year! A teacher recently said the book promoted "white magic". The teacher refers to passages in Act 16:16-18 and a few others to demonstrate.

here would be one link
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/sit...gers-white-magic-book-jesus-calling-7-minutes
I saw this in a bookstore last year. It was a good read as far as the first page I went over.But something told me not to buy it. Then I forgot about it. Then someone on a Bible forum I was browsing posted a thread much like yours. Asking if anyone had read it. Turns out this book's first printing had a different part all together. That which had the author saying that she'd channeled the book.
That didn't go over well with the evangelical market she was hoping to inspire to purchase.

Apparently the publisher edited all references of that type out on the next printings.
Young claimed she was influenced to write Jesus Calling by that of the writings of A. J. Russell. He wrote a book, God Calling, in the 1930's and was a mystic.
If there's anything of white magic in her book that could be where she got the idea. Only she'd have to be subtle in putting it in because being bold about outlining that which appears to be incantation like would be a giveaway. And the editors thinking to remove her mention of channeling in the first printing would be a bit hard pressed to let anything like white magic enter in in subsequent printings.

This may help out.
Another Jesus Calling: How False Christs Are Entering the Church Through Contemplative Prayer

Then there's all that predated this new con.
Helen Schucman who claimed it was through automatic writing that she channeled the testament of Christ in, A Course In Miracles.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,109.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Idk about her channeling for the book, etc.

posted "our "affirmations need only come from me".. Remember it's written as if it's HIM talking."

What would be better than knowing the trinity based on Scripture and then our opinions of ourselves be based on Scripture (that way it wouldn't be pride based but an accurate description).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
affirmations are a new age thing.
They can be used if you want to identify yourself with Christ, but 'I am' statements are not meant that you think of yourself as God. That seems to be the difference between new age affirmations and encouragement we find in the Bible.

New age is basically a westernised version of hinduism, where God is in everything. in other words, pantheism. Thats why Shirley Maclaine, a famous new age devotee, went round saying 'I am God!'. Well lol we know she's not.
Yes, but the Bible also affirms an omnipresent God, for example, Jer. 23:23.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This may help out.
Another Jesus Calling: How False Christs Are Entering the Church Through Contemplative Prayer

Then there's all that predated this new con.
Helen Schucman who claimed it was through automatic writing that she channeled the testament of Christ in, A Course In Miracles.

Thank you. I can't open that link, but I believe "contemplative" prayer is something totally different? I don't like the idea that she used the word "channel" in her previous book, but should we nit-pick that if she really didn't mean it that way? I don't know. The terminology we use is a good indicator of what we have been reading, listening to, and watching, that for sure.

"something told you not to buy it".. I call that the still small voice :) Lucky for me, I never read the same book every day (except the bible), and even that I jump all over the place daily. So, even if I wanted to do the Jesus Calling daily devo daily, I wouldn't :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Teslafied

Watt is love? Baby don't hertz me no more.
Apr 27, 2016
NC
✟8,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Does anyone know what "white magic" is? Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year! A teacher recently said the book promoted "white magic". The teacher refers to passages in Act 16:16-18 and a few others to demonstrate.

here would be one link
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/sit...gers-white-magic-book-jesus-calling-7-minutes

https://carm.org/book-review-jesus-calling

If anything I'd consider the book to be new age, definitely not inspired by God.

As for your teacher if she has qualms about the book being new age well she's right but last I checked so is "Christmas" which is based on Roman pagan holidays.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you. I can't open that link, but I believe "contemplative" prayer is something totally different? I don't like the idea that she used the word "channel" in her previous book, but should we nit-pick that if she really didn't mean it that way? I don't know. The terminology we use is a good indicator of what we have been reading, listening to, and watching, that for sure.

"something told you not to buy it".. I call that the still small voice :) Lucky for me, I never read the same book every day (except the bible), and even that I jump all over the place daily. So, even if I wanted to do the Jesus Calling daily devo daily, I wouldn't :)
Sorry, it is an UK Amazon link.

This is the USA Link: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Jesus...ords=another+jesus+calling+by+warren+b.+smith
The review of his book and relevant to Jesus Calling is that he's reviewed Sarah Young's blending of New Ageism with Christianity.

When former New Ager Warren B. Smith read Jesus Calling, he became greatly concerned, finding it troubling to see a number of New Age practices and concepts being presented as completely normal for Christians. Even more troubling, there were no warnings or disclaimers about what was being introduced. By the end of the book, Jesus Calling, and its "Jesus" had subtly, and not so subtly, introduced occult/New Age channeling, spiritual dictation, creative visualization, meditation, divine alchemy, co-creation with God, and practicing the presence like it was everyday Christian fare. New Age terms and concepts were brought into the messages like they were no big deal. And added to this were indirect references to a pantheistic poet and two classic New Age books, along with a hearty endorsement of God Calling - the channeled book that inspired Sarah Young to try and receive her own personal messages from Jesus. The unusual use of language by the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling, was also disturbing. It seemed to run the gamut from "everyday Joe" language to strange word choice, unwarranted flattery, worldly cliches, repetitive phrases, disparaging comments, and not so subtle mockery. All in all, Jesus Calling, seemed to be an obvious attempt by our spiritual Adversary to get an even further foothold inside the Christian church. "Another Jesus" Calling asks the question, Is the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling,the biblical Jesus Christ, or is it a false christ deceiving many? Given the fact that millions of copies of Jesus Calling, have already sold, the answer to that question needs to be found. Warren Smith gives us the documentation and biblical references needed to find that answer. "For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him." (2 Corinthians 11:4)

If you look at Google results or some other search and seek out, "what's wrong with Saray Young Jesus Calling", you'll find a lot of hits I think.
The book was very engaging for me at first. It was written in a personal first person manner that just so happened to appear when I randomly thumbed through and dropped into a page.
But that, as you call it and rightly so I believe, still small voice , said don't buy this. It just didn't feel right.
Then I found other reviews well after when I wasn't looking for them. Bible forums as you can imagine tend to look for books that are about Christ, God, the Bible. And I happened on a thread that was talking about the first printing of this Jesus Calling book. I took that as God reiterating what that still small voice had whispered days before.

I think there are certain authors that take advantage of the movement wherein people want a personal relationship with Jesus, which has always been possible, but that feels as if they're able to do something outside of the traditional religious environment they may oppose as being to orthodox or dogmatic.
New Age themes put the person in charge of ritualizing contact if you will. So that it feels like the person is able to "summon" and find Jesus without having to ascribe to the teachings in the New Testament surrounding repentance, salvation, etc...

I pray God continues to guide you on your search. :)

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
https://carm.org/book-review-jesus-calling

If anything I'd consider the book to be new age, definitely not inspired by God.

As for your teacher if she has qualms about the book being new age well she's right but last I checked so is "Christmas" which is based on Roman pagan holidays.
The quotes in the link are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for your time!

Should I say anything to the person who gave me the book for a Christmas gift? What about the 2 people that I gave the book to as a Christmas gift.. yikes and dang I need to be more discerning next time.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
um. Well, they might have meant well, but as you did the same and didn't really investigate it just put it down to money that wasn't well spent.

if I had a copy of a new age book given to me I would just bin it.
They might have kept it and not read it, but its theirs so just pray they aren't led astray by it. I know people don't often bin books many just leave them taking up space on their bookshelves but I'm quite ruthless at culling my collection, I read them and then give them away and learn to be more discerning, if something isn't right I just bin it so nobody else gets affected. I mean, it might have a fancy cover and all that, but if the content is trashy, why keep it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Teslafied

Watt is love? Baby don't hertz me no more.
Apr 27, 2016
NC
✟8,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The quotes in the link are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for your time!

Should I say anything to the person who gave me the book for a Christmas gift? What about the 2 people that I gave the book to as a Christmas gift.. yikes and dang I need to be more discerning next time.

Well you didn't know any better, I would just be honest and present them the truth and hopefully they take it to heart.

Upvote 0

chandraclaws

May 25, 2015
✟3,897.00
Faith
Christian
I don't see any major theological flaws. I do find it eerie for the author to write as if she is God, but she definitely doesn't have Him saying anything that doesn't line up with the God of the bible that I have found.
Many Christian songs and hymns are written as if God the Father or Jesus is speaking to us.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I found screwtape letters, purporting to be written from a demons perspective, one of those books to avoid. I just found it perverse.

People say oh its fiction, but what people dont consider is, many fiction writers use channelling to get into a character, or mediumship. Just because someone has written a book and its for sale to the 'christian market' doesnt mean it is actually christian. Many writers may use this as a hook.

Also another unsavoury fact about the publishing world. Many people publish books in order to make money. It doesnt matter if the book or recording is harmful. As long as it brings in the dough, publishers are happy to keep publishing. That is why many have turned to occult to sell millions of copies. Thats why you see so many paranormal books and recordings etc. harry potter, thriller (michael jackson) were phenomanal successes because they captured peoples imaginations.
If a person can get into the lucrative christian market (because christians naturally read a lot, after all, we meant to read the bible) they have got it made. So it pays be be discerning and not judge a book by its cover.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only time I have heard of white magic is when christians describe the difference between Gandalf and lets say Harry Potter. Gandalf (lord of the rings) uses white magic. Its for good. Harry Potters magic is more based on real witchcarft. Aka dark arts. Aka dark magic.

While its just a term, its not in the bible and white magic doesn't really exist. I'd stay away from a book that promotes something thats not even real.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling,the biblical Jesus Christ

No, it certainly is not. Sarah Young puts her own (New Age) statements in Jesus' mouth.

Which is blasphemy, as far as I'm concerned, as well as heresy.

Upvote 0