The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"White magic" is the attempt to manipulate God Himself into doing what the supplicant wants, an idea so appallingly stupid that it's hard to fathom how anyone could be a big enough nincompoop to even consider the idea in the first place.

That's for the reply. The author of the book, Jesus Calling, has been accused of white magic, and I just don't see how it's that. She is not trying to manipulate God or suggest we do.. she is simply writing in a style as if it is Jesus speaking to us but she is not suggesting they are direct quotes from Him as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Below is the main reason to avoid this book. There are several others, as well.

James Montgomery Boice once said that the real battle in our times would not be the inerrancy or infallibility of Scripture, but its sufficiency—are we going to rely on the Bible or will we continually long for other revelation? In Jesus Calling we see this so clearly. Young teaches that though the Bible is inerrant and infallible, it is insufficient. It was not enough for her and, implicitly, she teaches that it cannot be enough for us. After all, it was not reading Scripture that proved her most important spiritual discipline, but this listening, this receiving of messages from the Lord. It is not Scripture she brings to us, not primarily anyway, but these messages from Jesus. (http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/jesus-calling)​

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I am currently going through this devotional and it has been a huge help in keeping me focused on Jesus where other books or devotionals have failed.

I have the morning and evening version of her devotional.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

James Montgomery Boice once said that the real battle in our times would not be the inerrancy or infallibility of Scripture, but its sufficiency—are we going to rely on the Bible or will we continually long for other revelation? In Jesus Calling we see this so clearly. Young teaches that though the Bible is inerrant and infallible, it is insufficient. It was not enough for her and, implicitly, she teaches that it cannot be enough for us. After all, it was not reading Scripture that proved her most important spiritual discipline, but this listening, this receiving of messages from the Lord. It is not Scripture she brings to us, not primarily anyway, but these messages from Jesus. (http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/jesus-calling)​

Funny. For 2000 years, people have been using Tradition apart from Scripture for just that reason.

But unless she (author) says, like the others do, ya gotta believe this or else, then still not sure what the problem is.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im sorry but tradition cannot be used without scripture. If people do that they can easily be led astray which is why in the new testament they had teachers who KNEW scripture and could teach it. Eg timothy and Paul. Jesus didnt defeat satan without scripture. He would quote from deuteronomy when the devil was trying to tempt him.

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a fan of telling people to not read a book.

That said, I have read some of the book mentioned in the OP, as I received it as a gift awhile back. I found it to be sappy, like reading a Hallmark card. Not my type of book.
Sappy is not my type of book either, but it's a far cry from "white magic". Lots of people like sappy.(Hallmark is still in business.) I'd like to see any quote from the book that's contrary to Scripture; otherwise I'd still assume it's a fine devotional.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Where does the Bible claim that it is sufficient? Not that I support or reject the book. I know people who use it as a devotional every day, reading the Scripture passages and then the meditation. Personally, I meditate on the psalms.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Funny. For 2000 years, people have been using Tradition apart from Scripture for just that reason.
Wrong. Tradition and Scripture together.
But unless she (author) says, like the others do, ya gotta believe this or else, then still not sure what the problem is.
Agree here. BTW, devotionals aren't part of Sacred Tradition.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Im sorry but tradition cannot be used without scripture. If people do that they can easily be led astray which is why in the new testament they had teachers who KNEW scripture and could teach it. Eg timothy and Paul. Jesus didnt defeat satan without scripture. He would quote from deuteronomy when the devil was trying to tempt him.
The problem people seem to forget is that there was no NT for decades after Jesus died. And nothing was codified for 300 years. People needed Sacred Tradition. Then and now.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
Plainfield indiana
✟7,759.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know what "white magic" is? Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year! A teacher recently said the book promoted "white magic". The teacher refers to passages in Act 16:16-18 and a few others to demonstrate.

here would be one link
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/sit...gers-white-magic-book-jesus-calling-7-minutes
I have the audio version of an updated my utmost for his highest. ..it is my bibles companion. ..i have read some of that devotional. ..and others but this classic is now in a revised easy to understand version. ..you wont want to be without. ..it is a help to anyone daily

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There was, basically it was Paul writing those letters when he was still alive and the churches distributing them. Then John and Peter, James and Judes wrting letters. They were circulating even if they werent all collected all together in one book as we now have the NT but its a fallacy to say that scripture wasnt there and that people didnt remember witnessing Jesus and telling people about him and what he did while he was here on earth and his sayings.

Also, people did have the OT as well, to read from and that was scripture too. So it wasnt just tradition. Believers were literate in those days many had to be. They were people of the book then as it is now, every passover they would have read scripture from exodus and not just acting out a tradition...and every passover believers would acknowledged Jesus last supper which was the new testament. It wasnt just oh we follow what everyone else was doing, no, they checked scripture to see if these things were so. Even the bereans did that. And they would have been checking OT and seeing and reading about the promised Messiah.

Reactions: dawn7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caval

Feb 1, 2016
Pacific NW
✟7,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
* "Rest in My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day. Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released. Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direct your course one step at a time."

* "You are on the right path. Listen more to Me, and less to your doubts. I am leading you along the way designed just for you."

* "You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today. It is in the present moment that I walk close to you, helping you carry your burdens. Keep your focus on My Presence in the present."

...the above is much like the empty fluff I use to read when I was dabbling in new age. What gets me is so many reviews said this book changed their life. I love positive uplifting Bible verses...but I was saved through repentance, the Bible and prayer.
Maybe I'm a but paranoid from my past experiences but I wouldn't touch anything even slightlynew age with a 10 foot pole.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
* "Rest in My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day. Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released. Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direct your course one step at a time."
---"And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." Exo 33:14 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Gal 5:22-23 "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way." Psa 37:23

* "You are on the right path. Listen more to Me, and less to your doubts. I am leading you along the way designed just for you."
---"Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. 15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is." Eph 5:14-17 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27

* "You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today. It is in the present moment that I walk close to you, helping you carry your burdens. Keep your focus on My Presence in the present."
---"He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart." Psa 15:2 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." Psa 55:22 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isa 26:3

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know what "white magic" is? Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year! A teacher recently said the book promoted "white magic". The teacher refers to passages in Act 16:16-18 and a few others to demonstrate.

here would be one link
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/sit...gers-white-magic-book-jesus-calling-7-minutes

My experience with the paranormal tells me this is a bad idea for the untrained.

If one does not fully know Christ, and I doubt any of us do, then an evil spirit could easily pretend to be Christ.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can find all these in the Bible if you already know your bible. I suppose if you don't read it He will teach you but you know what? God likes it when you read your bible!!

Why? Because scripture is written for everyone! When we know scripture and know what he's saying to us, we can share it with others. But if we go channelling and end up with the same messages we can't just say hey look up in the Bible and read for yourself. Otherwise why bother. I don't know, God has always given me scripture to look up because thats age old wisdom that He knows applies to me when I look up those verses.
He will bring these things to mind, and he doesn't put them in new age airy fairy language. Thats how I know its God because in the new age they all say things that stroke YOUR ego and fill you with spiritual pride. But God often corrects us when we go wrong and also stretches us as well as giving us comfort.

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing down thoughts as they come and meditating on scripture, but sometimes God may have private revelation for you not meant to blab to everyone else and make you look like you know-it-all. The danger with this kind of book is that, unsuspecting christians or maybe new christians might look at this as a bible instead of going to read the Bible themselves.

Upvote 0