The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know what "white magic" is? Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year! A teacher recently said the book promoted "white magic". The teacher refers to passages in Act 16:16-18 and a few others to demonstrate.

here would be one link
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/sit...gers-white-magic-book-jesus-calling-7-minutes

Last edited:

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I havent read it but also heard some odd things about it, because it was coming out of Bethel which teaches weird things but cant say for sure.

Bethel had this school of the supernatural where people got sucked into practicing magic and calling it christian, eg heard that people would go to the graves of famous faith healers and try to suck their energy or some weird thing like that. But that is necromancy.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
White magic is supossedly 'good magic' but there isnt really such a thing as good magic, we as believers are not supposed to consult witches and wizards or do divination or any kind of sorcery. Because we have God and he doesnt operate like that we are just to trust in Him. He does give us the gift of the holy spirit, and even if we given power its to cast OUT demons not call them in to people.

Sometimes spirits can masquerade and call themselves Good when they arent. Theres also false christs to be wary of. If you were involved with the occult or witchcraft before you need to repent and not practice it again. It may be tempting to, but just dont.

Reactions: dawn7
Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
White magic is supossedly 'good magic' but there isnt really such a thing as good magic, we as believers are not supposed to consult witches and wizards or do divination or any kind of sorcery. Because we have God and he doesnt operate like that we are just to trust in Him. He does give us the gift of the holy spirit, and even if we given power its to cast OUT demons not call them in to people.

Sometimes spirits can masquerade and call themselves Good when they arent. Theres also false christs to be wary of. If you were involved with the occult or witchcraft before you need to repent and not practice it again. It may be tempting to, but just dont.

Thanks for replying. I definitely am not and never have consulted witches or wizards, and I don't see how this book, Jesus Calling, is doing that as Brannon Howse says in the video. I'm a mom who didn't let my kids watch Harry Potter!

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From God's perspective, there is no such thing as "good" magic. Trying to practice magic means you are not trusting God in the way we need to (and he wants what is best for us). It has nothing to do with whether the person's is trying to do something good with it or not.

... “ ‘Do not practice divination or sorcery. (Leviticus 19:26b, 1984 NIV)

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok i havent read the book but just looked at some amazon reviews of it. It looks sus.

It reminds me of 'a course in miracles' book that was demonically channelled. Channeling is a New age occult practice. Basically its acting as a medium, something we are not to open ourselves up for.

There are false christs in the new age. What this book is perhaps teaching people to listen to spirits masquerading as light.

The bible is Gods word to us and is sufficient for all our spiritual growth. Jesus wont say things that contradict scripture, but He doesnt always say things we want to hear all the time. This book seems to present a different Jesus who isnt challenging sarah in her walk, and smacks of new age affirmations and new age language. Be wary.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know what "white magic" is? Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year! A teacher recently said the book promoted "white magic". The teacher refers to passages in Act 16:16-18 and a few others to demonstrate.

here would be one link
http://www.worldviewweekend.com/sit...gers-white-magic-book-jesus-calling-7-minutes

Run. Don't walk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Addendum to my earlier post:

Seeking to accomplish something through magic means a person wants something or to do something that they cannot accomplish with what God has given us (such as our minds, hands, feet, friends, and business people). Trying to go any spiritual route other than to God to get something is the sin of idolotry. It is a way of demonstrating that God hasn't done enough (or can't), so one goes to another power.

But the angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, “Go up and meet the messengers of the king of Samaria and ask them, ‘Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going off to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?’ (bold mine, 2 Kings 1:3, 1984 NIV, also in several other places in 2 Kings)

It is a way of rejecting the hierarchy of legitimate authority that God has instituted. "I'm going to do it my way" is a classic form of idolotry where we are behaving as if we are God.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
-snip- Also, looking for an opinion on this popular devotional called "Jesus Calling".. I read this devo and actually gave it as a Christmas gift to many last year!-snip-

Luke 11:11
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

I don't know the book, but generally speaking, the idea we may converse with God through/because of Christ is the whole idea of NT Pentecost.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Like any priest, pastor, patriarch, however, the problem arises when they think they are the only ones to hear and you must follow them.

So, does the book have major theological flaws, like calling Jesus a creature? Does it say, this book will get you saved? Or my way or the highway? Or does it point you to a deeper relationship with God, the Father, Son, Spirit?

PS. See your signature.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

I don't know the book, but generally speaking, the idea we may converse with God through/because of Christ is the whole idea of NT Pentecost.

Like any priest, pastor, patriarch, however, the problem arises when they think they are the only ones to hear and you must follow them.

So, does the book have major theological flaws, like calling Jesus a creature? Does it say, this book will get you saved? Or my way or the highway? Or does it point you to a deeper relationship with God, the Father, Son, Spirit?
There is a difference between 'hearing' God's voice and direction (which I would be wary of, if it were only private interpretation), and what Ms. Young appears to be doing - that is, assuming the 'voice' (first person) of Christ and speaking as Him.

Reactions: RisenInJesus
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a difference between 'hearing' God's voice and direction (which I would be wary of, if it were only private interpretation), and what Ms. Young appears to be doing - that is, assuming the 'voice' (first person) of Christ and speaking as Him.

Like an OT prophet might do or something else? Does the author say, "I am Christ"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Like an OT prophet might do or something else? Does the author say, "I am Christ"?
I got the sense from reading the 'Christianity Today' article that it was in the "something else" camp. Although I haven't seen the book myself, there appear to be enough red flags about it to raise concern, especially from theologians.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

PS. See your signature.

I don't see any major theological flaws. I do find it eerie for the author to write as if she is God, but she definitely doesn't have Him saying anything that doesn't line up with the God of the bible that I have found.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

no she doesn't claim to be Christ. She just writes the devotionals as if it were Christ talking to us, but I haven't found anything that He wouldn't say.. everything she has him saying and it's not like she is "quoting" Him, does line up with the God of the bible that I know.

I love theologians, I do, and by definition, we ALL are called to be theologians. But.. they do seem to get in a freenzy over Christian materials that are touchy, feely, overly encouraging and loving.. Lots of emphasis on His grace and mercy, and very little mention of repentance, wrath, damnation.. I'm guessing they see it as a half gospel, when really people (especially women) just need encouragement from OUR MOST AMAZING comforter, peace giver Lord, and it doesn't mean that we don't "get" hell, fire, and brimestone.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone know what "white magic" is?
"White magic" is nonsense, just as is "black magic". Neither exists. There is no Scriptural basis for any belief in "magic" or "magick" (spell it as you will) at all.

"Black magic" is the attempt to manipulate demons/evil spirits/what have you into doing your bidding.
THere is nothing in Scripture to indicate that anyone ever did anything of the kind successfully. The stern prohibition against consorting with "witches" and "wizards" is that they use the idea that they have "powers" that they do not in order to deceive people into following then rather than almighty God. It's also a great technique for bilking the gullible out of their goods, money, or whatever else the "psychic" (that's what we call 'em today) wants. There is no indication that Satan ever has, will, or in fact can, confer powers on anyone. He is simply the Father of Lies doing what he does best - lying. "Follow me and I'll give you powers." Right.

"White magic" is the attempt to manipulate God Himself into doing what the supplicant wants, an idea so appallingly stupid that it's hard to fathom how anyone could be a big enough nincompoop to even consider the idea in the first place.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I love theologians, I do, and by definition, we ALL are called to be theologians. But.. they do seem to get in a freenzy over Christian materials that are touchy, feely, overly encouraging and loving.. Lots of emphasis on His grace and mercy, and very little mention of repentance, wrath, damnation.. I'm guessing they see it as a half gospel, when really people (especially women) just need encouragement from OUR MOST AMAZING comforter, peace giver Lord, and it doesn't mean that we don't "get" hell, fire, and brimestone.

I'm not sure which theologians you are referring to, but any who warn about this book are not doing so to hurt you or keep anything good from you - quite the opposite.

Upvote 0