Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not necessarily, but given some of the other things you've said, yeah, I would suspect that that comment, coming from you, would stem, at least in part, from some racist ideas.

I do hold some politically incorrect views. :)

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And look at how the US has responded to that statistically insignificant threat? If the threat of terrorism justifies the invasion of two countries and massive internal restructuring, what does police violence justify?

Following stupid by more stupid isn't exactly the best idea though.

That said, police who do step out of line need to be held to the highest standard.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That said, police who do step out of line need to be held to the highest standard.

Unfortunately they just aren't. Truth be told, they are held to the absolute lowest standard and I mean that in all sincerity. They are given every benefit of every doubt regardless of how ridiculous the doubt is or how much the situation they describe defies all logic and semblance of reality.

If we did hold police to the highest standard, a lot of our problems would go away as police are weeded out through simple Darwianism.

That is one thing I'm hopeful that the nation's anti-police movement will accomplish... higher standards and making it easier to not only get rid of bad and corrupt cops, but also inept and incompetent cops as well.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That is one thing I'm hopeful that the nation's anti-police movement will accomplish... higher standards and making it easier to not only get rid of bad and corrupt cops, but also inept and incompetent cops as well.
Personally, I'm hopeful that the current protest against police will hold inner city residents to higher standards.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I'm hopeful that the current protest against police will hold inner city residents to higher standards.

This is so elitist and belays a fundamental lack of understanding of the Constitution, Civil Rights, and the Social Contract and where the onus needs to be.

There are various ways to become a citizen, but for the most part being born in America is the #1 way of becoming a citizen.

Once you become a citizen you are protected by the Constitution and the Laws of the land. These laws and this protection apply to you no matter what type of person you are, no matter your character, no matter what.

In order to become a police officer one has to pass a battery of tests and receive training and then take an Oath of Office in which they commit to enforce the Constitution and laws of the land. In order to accomplish this the State gives the Police officer near unlimited authority to commit violence against the citizenry as long as said police officer is using said violence to enforce the law.

So where should the onus be for "higher standards"? Should the citizen be required to be better than the police or should the police be required to be better than the citizens?

Using very simple basic logic, The asymmetry of power -- i.e. the person who holds the greater power should be the one required to adhere to higher standards. In this case, since police have near unlimited authority to commit violence against the citizenry it is the police who need to adhere to higher standards.

The police work for the citizenry not the other way around. At least, that is the theory, the elitist reality though is that the police are "above" the citizenry and the citizenry only has the rights that police are willing to grant at their leisure depending on their mood at the time. As it stands now, given the overly broad latitude of police procedures and unwillingness of the system to prosecute corrupt, inept, or incompetent cops, police have no incentive to adhere to higher standards. I mean, why adhere to higher standards when you can do basically whatever you want whenever you want without fear of punishment or retribution???

Upvote 0