Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
12 Killed, 43 Wounded In Memorial Day Weekend Shootings | CBS Chicago

CHICAGO (STMW) — Twelve people were killed and at least 43 — including a 4-year-old girl — were wounded in shootings across Chicago this Memorial Day weekend, police said.

The 4-year-old, identified by her family as Jacele Johnson, was shot about 8 p.m. Friday in the West Englewood neighborhood. She and her 17-year-old cousin Romare Wilson were inside an SUV in the 7000 block of South Justine when another vehicle pulled up and someone inside opened fire, according to their family and Chicago Police.

The girl was shot in the head and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in critical condition, authorities said. She has since been upgraded to fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said Monday morning.

The teen was shot in the chest and grazed by a bullet in the neck. He was in serious condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. A 15-year-old girl standing on a sidewalk nearby was shot in the forehead and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where her condition stabilized, police said.

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sadly this is a common news topic, and yet it is not "headline news" worthy of 24/7 coverage... because it appears that those that bring us the news don't feel that it fits into whatever narrative they wish to present. This isn't sensational enough, it's just the same old same old, sadly.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Chicago and Baltimore seem to have a competition going.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/2...y-weekend-in-baltimore-capping-off-deadliest/

Would it be racist to assume that most of these shootings are black on black? And why would one assume this anyway?
The obvious answer is that you, sir, must be prejudiced to reach such a conclusion, regardless of statistics in both communities.
smiley_wink.gif

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isolated incidents. This is in no way indicative of a larger scale problem in America. More "good guys with guns" would have solved this. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nahh. Rahm Emanuel and the City is protecting the city with the most strict gun laws in the nation! It must be outsiders that don't live there coming in!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
"black lives matter" protest filling the streets of chicago when?
Regardless of the truth of the claims of that movement, the idea of law enforcement unjustly killing people is much scarier to me than the idea of civilians doing the same. I wouldn't expect the same reaction to the two events. Street violence isn't state-sanctioned.

Not trying to start an argument regarding recent events, but these murders aren't comparable to alleged murders by police, unless you wish to hold police to the same low standard as street thugs.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Regardless of the truth of the claims of that movement, the idea of law enforcement unjustly killing people is much scarier to me than the idea of civilians doing the same.
Your chances of being killed by a cop are probably about the same as you being the victim of terrorism.

I wouldn't expect the same reaction to the two events. Street violence isn't state-sanctioned.
Either you don't know what "state-sanctioned" means of you believe in a conspiracy theory in which the state is actively and directly killing citizens for no reason.

Not trying to start an argument regarding recent events, but these murders aren't comparable to alleged murders by police, unless you wish to hold police to the same low standard as street thugs.
Why shouldn't we hold police to the same standards? One law for all of us.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your chances of being killed by a cop are probably about the same as you being the victim of terrorism.
And look at how the US has responded to that statistically insignificant threat? If the threat of terrorism justifies the invasion of two countries and massive internal restructuring, what does police violence justify?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Your chances of being killed by a cop are probably about the same as you being the victim of terrorism..

I've had police draw guns on me several times in my life despite the fact I've never committed a crime nor was there reasonable suspicion of suspecting me of a crime... basically I was pulled over for being Black on a Tuesday and after they couldn't find anything on me reluctantly let me go after drawing down on me and threatening my life for no reason...

Every time a big black man deals with police, his chances of being killed by a cop are significantly greater than 0%. Pretty much every time I've ever dealt with police, their hands are on their guns or their partner is on my blind side with his gun unholstered just waiting for me to do "anything".

And if I'm ever mistakenly accidentally shot, all they will have to say is "Well, he reached for something and we were in fear of our lives..."

and that will be the end of it unless I'm lucky enough for someone to have video taped the whole thing...

So please don't make light of the fact that being killed by a cop is some statistical impossibility akin to winning the lottery. Truth is, for some of us, it is a very real quantifable danger we live with daily. Every time I drive by a cop I get tense because every time I drive by a cop there is a 0.01% chance he will kill me. Granted 0.01% doesn't seem like a lot. But apply 0.01% to every day of your life and the probability of a life altering incident occurring becomes a very real very tangible non-zero quantity...

Sure, as we sit comfortably in our homes typing away on an internet forum it's easy to feel all warm and fuzzy about our rights and the infallibility of our justice system yada yada yada... But I can tell you first hand, when you are pulled over on the side of the road in NoWheresVille USA with no one around and a cop who has his gun drawn calling you "boy" and purposefully trying to provoke you... you will have a different perspective on the subject of how safe you are from police...

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've had police draw guns on me several times in my life despite the fact I've never committed a crime nor was there reasonable suspicion of suspecting me of a crime... basically I was pulled over for being Black on a Tuesday and after they couldn't find anything on me reluctantly let me go after drawing down on me and threatening my life for no reason...

Every time a big black man deals with police, his chances of being killed by a cop are significantly greater than 0%. Pretty much every time I've ever dealt with police, their hands are on their guns or their partner is on my blind side with his gun unholstered just waiting for me to do "anything".

And if I'm ever mistakenly accidentally shot, all they will have to say is "Well, he reached for something and we were in fear of our lives..."

and that will be the end of it unless I'm lucky enough for someone to have video taped the whole thing...

So please don't make light of the fact that being killed by a cop is some statistical impossibility akin to winning the lottery. Truth is, for some of us, it is a very real quantifable danger we live with daily. Every time I drive by a cop I get tense because every time I drive by a cop there is a 0.01% chance he will kill me. Granted 0.01% doesn't seem like a lot. But apply 0.01% to every day of your life and the probability of a life altering incident occurring becomes a very real very tangible non-zero quantity...

Sure, as we sit comfortably in our homes typing away on an internet forum it's easy to feel all warm and fuzzy about our rights and the infallibility of our justice system yada yada yada... But I can tell you first hand, when you are pulled over on the side of the road in NoWheresVille USA with no one around and a cop who has his gun drawn calling you "boy" and purposefully trying to provoke you... you will have a different perspective on the subject of how safe you are from police...
I'm white, and have dealt with the occasional bullying cop. It's not a pleasant experience. But what you describe sounds genuinely scary. Thank you for sharing, and I hope it gives some people some perspective.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
True. I'm a white upper-middle class female. Irrelevant to my point, however.
Either you don't know what "state-sanctioned" means of you believe in a conspiracy theory in which the state is actively and directly killing citizens for no reason.
Neither. A corrupt cop received his or her weapon and authority from the state and is much more likely to be given the benefit of the doubt in a court of law than is anyone else. I am not suggesting that the state is complicit in his or her corruption.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Had a cop draw his gun. Pro-tip, even if it is in your own driveway and you are confused as to why a cop has pulled you and your friend over, do not get out of the car, especially when both of you are over 6 foot tall. This gets a very bad reaction.

He never pointed the weapon, and he was definitely justified to get into a "ready" position, we both apologized when we realized what we did and things went smoothly from there (turned out my friend had a crack in his windshield).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The obvious answer is that you, sir, must be prejudiced to reach such a conclusion, regardless of statistics in both communities.
smiley_wink.gif

Dang, ya got me.

Upvote 0