Blessings

S

Silje

Hi :wave: I hope you're all having a lovely night and that nobody is suffering too much of a chocolate hangover!

When I was watching one of my favourite TV shows recently, the protagonist said to his wife, "Would you like me to lay a blessing on you?" when she was going through some troubles. What does it mean to lay a blessing on a person, and is this denomination-specific?

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
From the link, some verses to read through are Romans 12:14, 1 Corin 4:12, Luke 6:28, James 3, Isaiah 44:26, Matthew 21:21.

The verses on anointing with oil might also relate... pouring real oil over a person in ceremonial sanctioning for a mission/term of office.

You might have felt an uneasiness about what the person said, and I sometimes do too. Often people say it with an arrogance, as though they are a qualified deliverer. The man saying it to his wife could have also sounded condescending. God asks us to humble our hearts. It is by His power that we can do anything -- including our involuntary breaths and heartbeats.

But then, Jesus sent His disciples out to other towns to heal and deliver and preach the good news of being welcomed into the Heavenly kingdom through faith and redemption. That action required a gutsy approach to minister to other people. The disciples had to believe enough in their authority as God's representatives.

There is a bit of mystical stuff creeping into televised religion, some good and some bad. Also hierarchical attitudes -- ministers treating people as royal subjects. We always need to be on guard, because the devil is always looking for our vulnerabilities.

If you are uneasy about something, don't be afraid to challenge it. Look into the topic, read scriptures, and sort the good from the bad. There is never pure and complete delivery of God's perfect will and presence -- ministers just try their best. Sometimes they get swayed, just as we do.

There are some tangible ways that we bless others, through trying to meet their needs before our own. Christians can also give people intangible support through kind words and truth. And since the kingdom of God is within us, the Holy Spirit resides in us, we do bring God's presence into situations.

When we lay down our lives for others, He lifts us up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0