Blasphemy

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Most people assume that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is like calling the Holy Spirit names and other insulting comments, but that is not it. This thread stems from the verse...

Matthew 12:31 And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

so let's take a closer look....Think of it this way, the Holy Spirit has feelings too. So just like you, the Holy Spirit can grieve.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

What grieves the Holy Spirit is the continual disobedience to His messages to your heart. Continually against the Holy Spirit's convictions upon your heart, you continue to do wrong.

As in this scriptural example where lying does not stop from your mouth when you know better.

1 Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Every time you lie to yourself or your fellow man, or even God, you are grieving the Holy Spirit and searing your own conscience to hear the Holy Spirit no more.

You have learned the truth, and are now walking in it. This is something that the Lord rejoices over. Only the devil would want you to believe that you are too far gone to be salvageable.

It is the humble state that perfects in us the utter dependence on the Holy Spirit convicting us with his still small voice. Remember that being convicted is not enough.

John 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

Remember also that the Lord does handle innocent ignorance a little differently than the out and out refusal to listen. It is a part of walking with the Lord, baby steps...

2 Corinthians 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
Remember..

2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Although, I will give you one SERIOUS WARNING... You can grieve the Holy Spirit by selling your soul and birthright the Lord has promised. Hopefully nothing on this earth is worth such a cheap temporary need-now exchange as Esau's....

Hebrews 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

I believe that Judas grieved the Holy Spirit because He refused to give up believing a lie. He refused to see that Yeshua as Ben Josef rather than the Ben David he was so hoping for. Judas was looking for the one military conquering king that so many others had hoped for. Lies bring us delusions, which cause us to block hearing the truth, which leads to disaster. For Judas the disaster was the final realization, Yeshua was serious about His mission, and the failure of the delusion kill him.

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
I think grieving and blasphemy are two different things...
but one will if continued will lead to the other. It grieves the Holy Spirit to be "neglected" or what the Holy Spirit does is "denied" to be His Work. Blasphemy comes from those who have been causing the Holy Spirit grief with their first refusing to hear, then obstructing His Word and Work, and then deliberately undoing all of His Word or Work. When it reaches the point where this rebellious work shows no remorse then it is blasphemy.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
I think that Acts 5:3-4 gives us an example of blasphemy of Holy Spirit.

"Peter said, 'Why has the Adversary so filled your heart that you lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back some of the money you received for the land? Before you sold it, the property was yours; and after you sold it, the money was yours to use as you pleased. So what made you decided to do such a thing? You have lied not to human beings but to God!"'

A question to ask here is, Why does Peter associate their lying to the community of believers with lying to the Holy Spirit? Anything done against those whom the Spirit resides in who is doing the Spirit's Will could be possibly seen as blasphemy.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The motivation of Judas Iscariot is a mystery. The Bible narrates his actions but gives us little of his inner reasoning.

At least one scripture implies he was possessed by the Satan in his betrayal.

At least one (other) scripture says Yeshua knew from the beginning that Judas would betray him, and implies Judas was not a "fallen" disciple but actually bad from the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iscah
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that grieving and blaspheming the Ruach are 2 different things. They are both bad, but I do not think they are necessarily related.

Matthew 12:22 Then a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute was brought to Jesus, and He healed him, so that the mute man spoke and saw. 23 All the crowds were amazed, and were saying, “This man cannot be the Son of David, can he?” 24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons.”

25 And knowing their thoughts Jesus said to them, “Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand? 27 If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can anyone enter the strong man’s house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.

30 He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters.

31 “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3:1 He entered again into a synagogue; and a man was there whose hand was withered. 2 They were watching Him to see if He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. 3 He *said to the man with the withered hand, “Get up and come forward!” 4 And He *said to them, “Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?” But they kept silent. 5 After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He *said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored. 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately began conspiring with the Herodians against Him, as to how they might destroy Him.

20 And He *came home, and the crowd *gathered again, to such an extent that they could not even eat a meal. 21 When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.” 22 The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons.” 23 And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished! 27 But no one can enter the strong man’s house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.

28 “Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.

What these 2 passages say is that the situation where Our Lord warned of this unforgivable sin, was that the power to deliver from demonization was from the devil, and that Yeshua was Himself demonized.

“He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons.”

IMO this is the vital link in determining this sin. Knowingly attributing G-d's miracles done by the power of the Ruach to the devil. Did they actually know? Of course they did. Here is what Nicodemus said:

John 3.1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”

Upvote 0

The Lone Ranger

Kemosabe
Sep 23, 2012
Rolling Stone
✟20,340.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The motivation of Judas Iscariot is a mystery. The Bible narrates his actions but gives us little of his inner reasoning.

At least one scripture implies he was possessed by the Satan in his betrayal.

At least one (other) scripture says Yeshua knew from the beginning that Judas would betray him, and implies Judas was not a "fallen" disciple but actually bad from the beginning.

I know somebody like that, who was born a bad apple.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you thinking that demon possession is evidence of blasphemy of the holy spirit or grievious?
Not at all. But to say expelling demons is from the devil (when it is actually G-d) is bad and potentially BHS.

Reactions: BukiRob
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Blaspheming is to claim you are G-d.

Matthew 26:65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;

They were responding to Yeshua's proclamation in Matthew 26:64 Jesus said to him, “You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

In Mark the scribes said he was blaspheming when he forgave the sin of the paralytic.

So as I understand it, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit would be to claim that you are G-d.

For example, both the False Prophet and the Antimessiah would be guilty of this....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe blasphemy would be a voice that speaks against Mercy and Grace.

Mercy and Grace

Firstly look at the definition of Mercy.
mercy
noun mer·cy \ˈmər-sē\
: kind or forgiving treatment of someone who could be treated harshly
: kindness or help given to people who are in a very bad or desperate situation
: a good or lucky fact or situation

plural mercies
Full Definition of MERCY

a : compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; also : lenient or compassionate treatment <begged for mercy>
b : imprisonment rather than death imposed as penalty for first-degree murder

a : a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion
b : a fortunate circumstance <it was a mercy they found her before she froze>

: compassionate treatment of those in distress <works of mercy among the poor>
mercy adjective
at the mercy of : wholly in the power of : with no way to protect oneself against

1grace

noun \ˈgrās\
: a way of moving that is smooth and attractive and that is not stiff or awkward
: a controlled, polite, and pleasant way of behaving
graces : skills that are needed for behaving in a polite way in social situations
Full Definition of GRACE
a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b : a virtue coming from God
c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

a : approval, favor <stayed in his good graces>
b archaic : mercy, pardon

Law-Love God with all your mind and Soul..
35For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?…

Prophets-Love your neighbor as yourself.
Isaiah 58:7
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter-- when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Ezekiel 18:7
He does not oppress anyone, but returns what he took in pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.

Upvote 0

The Lone Ranger

Kemosabe
Sep 23, 2012
Rolling Stone
✟20,340.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have been convicted by the Holy Spirit enough to know the feeling. Rejecting that "guilt" (in which the guilt allows us a chance for correction/redemption/repentance) from GOD is a bad thing that turns one's heart to stone, and opens them up for a whirlwind of punishment until they repent/apologize, and correct the error. I am talking plagues, curses, and a lack of guidance from The Holy Spirit. I am not talking about a lack of guidance from man though. Not all men are of God, and God said we can only trust HIM. People who reject the Laws of humanity (The Bible, Holy Spirit) are awfully ugly behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0