Black Princeton professor arrested on outstanding warrant plays race card, so police release video

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Black privilege," files: Black Studies Professor Accuses Cops of Racial Discrimination — So Police Released the Dashcam Video | The Blaze

Police determined Perry was also driving on a suspended license and a warrant had been issued for her arrest, for failing to pay the past-due parking ticket, according to police Lt. John Bucchere. After hearing that Perry said police mistreated her, the department released the 30-minute footage of her arrest.
The police have denied that Perry was mistreated. However, university officials remain unmoved.

Perry received the “unequivocal support” of Princeton’s African American Studies department on Wednesday.

The video shows that police were extremely polite, despite the woman being stopped 20+ mph over the speed limit, despite the woman driving with a suspended license and despite the woman having an arrest warrant for unpaid two year old parking tickets. (I just hope I receive such treatment from police if I'm ever arrested.)

Curiously, even the President of Princeton pledged support for Ms Perry.
President Eisgruber's Statement on Professor Perry Arrest | Princeton.edu

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't see the twitter comments anymore, but her facebook note is still up and AFAIK she never claims to have been roughed up. She said that she may have been treated differently based on the color of her skin.

While she may be whining a bit much about certain things (e.g. her arthritic wrists), she has a point that it's kind of silly that you can get arrested over unpaid parking tickets (which afaik are what ultimately caused her license suspension), and I'm sure we're all aware of cases where various government agencies do a lousy job of notifying people about different things, including tickets.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When you look at the details of the arrest warrant, it does seem silly in this day and age to suspend a license over a minor ticket. Use a collection agency if your town is that pressed for money. Universities withhold grades, etc. for unpaid fines. i dislike using our street cops for revenue enhancement.

That said, the cops seem to be doing what they should as they didn't make the stupid rules.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0