Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that the basic process is that the outgoing bishop of the diocese or archbishop of that province prepares a list of suitable candidates and sends it to the Vatican (specifically, I think, to the Congregation for Bishops.) They review the files and pick a guy for the job, and the Pope approves it.

Not sure what the specific qualifications for the job are. Obviously, if you're not already a bishop somewhere, you need to receive the appropriate consecration. I think that, in theory, any male Catholic can become a bishop, but in practice, only men who are already priests are chosen.

Reactions: Febe
Upvote 0

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
BillH said:
I think that the basic process is that the outgoing bishop of the diocese or archbishop of that province prepares a list of suitable candidates and sends it to the Vatican (specifically, I think, to the Congregation for Bishops.) They review the files and pick a guy for the job, and the Pope approves it.

Not sure what the specific qualifications for the job are. Obviously, if you're not already a bishop somewhere, you need to receive the appropriate consecration. I think that, in theory, any male Catholic can become a bishop, but in practice, only men who are already priests are chosen.

Cool... Thanx for the info

:)

God Bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.