Bill O'Reilly Has His own Brian Williams Problem

J

Jessica01

Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem | Mother Jones

After NBC News suspended anchor Brian Williams for erroneously claiming that he was nearly shot down in a helicopter while covering the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly went on a tear. On his television show, the top-rated cable news anchor declared that the American press isn't "half as responsible as the men who forged the nation." He bemoaned the supposed culture of deception within the liberal media, and he proclaimed that the Williams controversy should prompt questioning of other "distortions" by left-leaning outlets. Yet for years, O'Reilly has recounted dramatic stories about his own war reporting that don't withstand scrutiny—even claiming he acted heroically in a war zone that he apparently never set foot in.

Looks like he has a log in his own eye that needs removed before criticizing others.

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mother Jones is attempting even the score, trying to take down O'Reilly in response to what happened to Brian Williams.

O'Reilly's response:

Bill O'Reilly's Talking Points Memo 2/20/15: A Response To Mother Jones

I never said I was on the Falkland Islands ... as Corn purports ... I said I covered the Falklands War ... which I did.

Now ... in what I consider to be a miracle ... I found this CBS internal memo from 33 years ago ... praising my coverage that day.

The cable was sent to the CBS bureau chief in Buenos Aires ... by the news desk here in New York City:

"Doyle, O'Reilly didn't have the time last night but would like to say many thanks for the riot piece last night. WCBS-TV and WCAU-TV both took the entire piece, instead of stripping it for pix. They called to say thanks for a fine piece.”

"Thanks again. Your piece made the late feed, a winner last night."

Want more? ... here it is:

Shortly after my crew and I ... escaped grave danger on the streets of Buenos Aires ... I wrote to CBS News boss Ed Joyce ... praising the crew’s bravery.

I have the letter:

"The crews were great … the riot had been very bad, we were gassed, shot at, and I had the best vantage point in which to report the story."

So we have rock solid proof ... that David Corn ... smeared me ... and some websites that picked up his defamation ... did as well.

Source: Bill O'Reilly's Talking Points Memo 2/20/15: A Response To Mother Jones - Fox Nation

Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hmmm...ok that's one, (and one that was apologized for Obama Issues Apology For 'You Can Keep Your Plan' Promise ) any chance you think Faux News will apologize for the thousands of lies they've told over the years? :confused: Here's an interesting site: FOX's file: | PunditFact
tulc(suspects there's not going to be much chance of it) :sorry:

:mad:Fox News:mad:

Bet you are okay with the State Run Media's lies.

And the Obama apology....wow. Screw someone over and then just say "sorry man". Yeah, that makes it all okay.

Upvote 0

Star Adept

Feb 8, 2015
✟541.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

And the Obama apology....wow. Screw someone over and then just say "sorry man". Yeah, that makes it all okay.

If you make a promise and you can't keep it, what other option do you have but to apologize?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I wasn't aware we had one of those.

Unless you're talking about this failed attempt:

Gov. Mike Pence killed his administration's plans for a state-run news service Thursday amid a national uproar that spurred ridicule for the idea across the political spectrum.

Pence announced in a memo to state agency heads that they would no longer be launching the JustIN website and that they would instead update the state's online press release system and state calendar.

"However well intentioned, after thorough review of the preliminary planning and careful consideration of the concerns expressed, I am writing you to inform you that I have made a decision to terminate development of the JustIN website immediately," Pence wrote.

The Indianapolis Star broke the news of plans to begin a state-run news outlet late Monday. Planning documents obtained by The Star spoke of having press secretaries write "stories" and having the "news service" compete with other, independent media outlets on stories.

The plan quickly became the object of ridicule across the nation, drawing comparisons to state-run media in countries such as North Korea and China. Some outlets dubbed the Pence news service "Pravda on the Plains."
Gov. Pence ditches state-run news site plan after uproar

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Last month it was the Jewish controlled media, did we lose control of the media to the state or did we just gain control of the state too?

I’m no fan of Obama but at least he apologized. I don’t remember anything from Mr. “Read my lips, No… new… taxes”.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

actually I get my news from a bunch of different sources. :wave:

...does that mean you don't expect an apology from Fox any time soon either, huh? :confused:
tulc(did notice you didn't mention that) :sorry:

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...actually I get my news from a bunch of different sources.

What will you do when Jon Stewart leaves Comedy Central?

...does that mean you don't expect an apology from Fox any time soon either, huh?

Even if what Mother Jones is claiming about O'Reilly is true, what would FOX News have to apologize for?

And please, an actual answer this time.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
actually I get my news from a bunch of different sources.

Including the slobbering State Run Media.

...does that mean you don't expect an apology from Fox any time soon either, huh?

Fox was actually an outlet who countered the LIE "if you like your plan you can keep your plan......"

nightflight
(let me know if I can inform you further)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

Jessica01

David Corn found not a kernel of truth. :sorry:

Yeah, he does.

These Are the Questions Bill O'Reilly Won't Answer | Mother Jones

Most notably, he has more than once said that during his short stint as a CBS correspondent in the 1980s, he was in the "war zone" during the Falklands war between the United Kingdom and Argentina in 1982. He even once told the story of heroically rescuing his cameraman in this "war zone" while being chased by army soldiers. Yet according to O'Reilly's former CBS colleagues in Argentina and other journalists there during the war, no American journalist reached the war zone in the Falkland Islands and other territories iin the southern Atlantic Ocean during this conflict. O'Reilly and his colleagues covered the war from Buenos Aires, which was 1200 miles from the fighting.
After the Thursday article, O'Reilly resorted to name-calling and ranting, saying Corn deserved to "be in the kill zone." He should have dealt with the facts rather than rant and name-call.

Corn's response is discussed here:
David Corn hits back at Bill O'Reilly - POLITICO.com

Upvote 0
J

Jessica01

from the article above with the questions for O'Reilly, this is one:

On his radio show on January 13, 2005, Mr. O'Reilly said, "I was in the middle of a couple of firefights in South and Central America." In which countries and when did these firefights occur? Can Mr. O'Reilly describe them?

At least Brian Williams owned up to his lie and apologized and is taking the suspension. Will O have the integrity to do the same?

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Including the slobbering State Run Media.

Fox was actually an outlet who countered the LIE "if you like your plan you can keep your plan......"

nightflight
(let me know if I can inform you further)

kind of missed the point huh? I was wondering when they were going to apologize for the lies THEY told. Not the things President Obama apologized for. :wave:
tulc(will wait for the informing you have about that) :)

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
kind of missed the point huh? I was wondering when they were going to apologize for the lies THEY told. Not the things President Obama apologized for.

Any of these "lies" told by "Fox News" has ZERO effect on my life. However, the "Patient Protection (racket) and Affordable Care Act and its built in LIE does.

nightflight
(easy)

Upvote 0