Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
IMG_7162.jpg
Link to Bill introduced
https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s11/BILLS-115s11is.xml

A BILL: To recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, to relocate to Jerusalem the United States Embassy in Israel, and for other purposes.
A Bill was introduced to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. This move is considered provocative by Palestinian and Jordan (who have been very vocal about the possibility of this move). Of course, many other Arab nations will also be angry about this.

This Bill and action would acknowledge Jerusalem as being the undivided Capital of Israel.

There is already conflict in the Middle East between Israel and Arab nations surrounding it, I am sure this will escalate tensions.

As a Christian, how do you feel about the US Embassy possibly being relocated to Jerusalem? I would love to hear your input regarding this.

Fere222

...Love each other... ‭‭~John‬ ‭13:34‬ ‭
Jul 25, 2016
USA
✟18,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's a very bold move. Doesn't that violate some UN resolution? It's probably going to be globally denounced?
Years ago, the United States approved the Jerusalem Ebassy Act of 1995.
"The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 is a public law of the United States passed by the 104th Congress on October 23, 1995. ... The act also called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel." (Source: Jerusalem Embassy Act - Wikipedia)
So this move was already authorized by Congress in 1995.

It is a very bold and provocative move. I am sure it will be denounced by many nations - especially Arab ones. I wonder if this could trigger a larger scale war. I am not certain if it violates a UN resolution, that would be interesting to research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Years ago, the United States approved the Jerusalem Ebassy Act of 1995.
"The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 is a public law of the United States passed by the 104th Congress on October 23, 1995. ... The act also called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel."
So this move was already authorized by Congress in 1995.

It is a very bold and provocative move. I am sure it will be denounced by many nations - especially Arab ones. I wonder if this could trigger a larger scale war. I am not certain if it violates a UN resolution, that would be interesting to research.

I'm not 100% there was an actual bonafide resolution, but it was agreed that no one would recognize Jerusalem as the capital when Ben Gurion? and the Knesset declared it such back in, 50? To recognize Jerusalem as the capital would be equivalent to not recognizing "illegal occupation" of the territory. So it would seem that by this act, the US would be declaring that Jerusalem isn't being illegally occupied as defined by UN law. But it's been a while, maybe things have changed in the UN? Who knows. But it's a bold move, that's all I can say. It's basically the US overtly siding with Israel in the conflict.

Reactions: Fere222
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
To recognize Jerusalem as the capital would be equivalent to not recognizing "illegal occupation" of the territory.
Unlike Gaza and the Westbank, Israel has annexed all of Jerusalem.

The UN is a bunch of idiots when it comes to Israel. The UN doesn't think there is any such thing as the Temple Mount. I don't think the USA should care one tiddly wink what the UN says about the matter.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Moving our embassy to Jerusalem is way overdue. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The former PM of Australia is also pushing for his nation to move its embassy to Jerusalem and cut off aid to the PA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
it will serve no purpose other than to anger some needed regional allies...
Nonsense. It will support the only modern democracy in the middle east: Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Which sector would it get moved to? Would our people be more safe or less safe there?
Isn't there a sector that has the other embassies?

Accepting Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel is really going to tick off the Arabs. I think you can guess about the safety.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't there a sector that has the other embassies?

Accepting Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel is really going to tick off the Arabs. I think you can guess about the safety.

I did a little more research. Apparently we have a consulate there already. I have no idea if its current location will meet the needs of moving the actual embassy there or not.

U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nonsense. It will support the only modern democracy in the middle east: Israel.

we already support israel...our allies in the area have already expressed their displeasure, to put it mildly. we lose more than we gain (which is nothing).

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
we already support israel...our allies in the area have already expressed their displeasure, to put it mildly. we lose more than we gain (which is nothing).
The US just set up Israel in the UN for a security council resolution against the Jewish State. We have NOT been supportive of Israel for a while now.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The US just set up Israel in the UN for a security council resolution against the Jewish State. We have NOT been supportive of Israel for a while now.

right, cause the $38 billion we've just promised them over the next ten years isn't supportive enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi imind,

I'm not sure that this decision is being made with an eye on gaining or losing anything. The United States has 136 U.S. embassies around the world and 135 of them are in the capital city of the nation that they are in. Care to guess which one isn't?

So, it's really a matter of keeping things as we seem to want them to be. We put embassies in capital cities and that's where they are considering putting the embassy to Israel. No one's looking to gain or lose anything. It's just how we do things.

A few days ago many on these boards were up in arms that President Obama wasn't supporting Israel as some thought they should by not vetoing the U.N. vote regarding the legality of Israeli settlements. Now, the U.S. is making a bold move to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and some aren't happy with that.

It's true that you can't please all the people any of the time. This would be a bold step for the U.S. to clearly recognize Jerusalem as the capital city of Israel since both the muslims and the Jews want to claim the city as their own. We likely won't gain anything and so long as the Arab nations don't start a war over it, we won't lose anything. However, we will be doing what we normally do with the placement of embassies in foreign nations.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, it's really a matter of keeping things as we seem to want them to be. We put embassies in capital cities and that's where they are considering putting the embassy to Israel. No one's looking to gain or lose anything.

its not in jerusalem for a very specific and obvious reason...diplomacy. we cannot afford to alienate and anger our few allies in the middle east.

lets not pretend israel and its ardent supporters are not trying to gain anything by moving the embassy there.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
its not in jerusalem for a very specific and obvious reason...diplomacy. we cannot afford to alienate and anger our few allies in the middle east.

lets not pretend israel and its ardent supporters are not trying to gain anything by moving the embassy there.

Hi imind,

Yes, I agree. Let's not pretend that Israel and its ardent supporters are trying to gain anything by moving the embassy there. Let's merely accept it for what it most likely is. Setting the U.S. embassy to Israel in the same place where all the other U.S. embassies are around the world. In the city where they have their seat of government.

I'm really not one to be much impressed with conspiracy theories for every issue in the world, especially what governments do. However, to each his own as far as how they relate to and understand government. The only command of the Scriptures is that we respect them. We don't have to like them, agree with them, or believe that what they are doing is righteous or not.

BTW the U.S. government actually set a time line to have this done by 1999, but because of fears such as yours, they have reneged for many years on that commitment. I think it's time that we set it right and if it brings on a war, then so be it. It will only hasten the war that's coming anyway. You don't seem to put much stock in the belief that most of the Arab countries have an agenda of eventually removing Israel from the face of the map. It's been slow going because a lot of nations still support Israel's right to exist and so to just militarily do such a thing would mean a great battle. But that battle is coming anyway.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0