Nov 28, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟17,252.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I'm going to tell you the best way I personally think you should read it...now again, this is my opinion.

I would read the New Testament first. Then I would read the book of Psalms & Proverbs. Then read the rest. Again, that is what someone told me once and I thought it was great advice.

I have the Saint Joseph's version of the New American Bible and I love it. Hope this helps you - God bless!

Upvote 0

Kasia

Pray for our troops!
May 31, 2005
San Diego
✟19,576.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The New American Bible is the one that the readings during Mass are taken out of, so it's always a good one to have.

But, to be honest with you, I have a Jerusalem Bible and I love it for reading. It's more, I don't know, lyrical.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The New American Bible might be a good one for you as your first one since it is the same one used by the Church in America.

However, my personal favorite is the Douay-Rheims, however you may not like it if you do not like reading old English type of novels.

Then my other favorite is the RSV - Catholic Edition.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The New American Bible has a good "teen study" aid thing to it.

Start with the Gospels. Then go to whichever book you feel called to read at the time. Each book of the Bible is just that, a book. It wasn't meant to be read cover to cover.

OR

You could find the readings for that day and read and pray over those every day. In a few years you will have read most/all of the Bible :)

Reactions: Auntie
Upvote 0

HappyMomof4

Thank You Jesus!
Aug 9, 2004
✟9,453.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was told years ago, when I first came back to the church, to start by reading the Gospel of John. It's just so beautiful.

I would read a study bible with lots of footnotes, because I have found them extremely helpful...the bible can be confusing when you first start out. The New Jerusalem is great, and the NAB St. Joseph bible is a good one too.

Upvote 0
C

cairaiii

When you first get your Bible read Mark, the shortest of the Gospels. After that you'll be hooked and read Matthew, Luke, and John's Gospels.

Then I suggest you read at least a chapter everyday in the Old and New Testaments. And if you can, read a Psalm everyday. Try reading the Bible while on your knees too.

Avoid Revelation to John and Daniel until you've read the Bible for a while.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have no oppinion about English Bibles...
I would read in this order: Mark, Luke, Acts, rest of New Testament, Psalms, rest of Old Testament...
(When I started with the Bible, at the age of about 11, I started at the beginning, Genesis... Not a very good idea! I gave up in the middle of Numeri, not understanding why we didn't sacrifice animals anymore, if God seemed to like that... But then I red John and Revelation and rest of New Testament, so I understood better...)

Upvote 0

AnnieG

Watering the Flos Carmeli with her tears
Aug 6, 2005
✟8,047.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You might get yourself a plan. The one I used was Protestant, and it was conceived thus: On a Sunday, you read a couple of chapters from the Gospel (about 3, depending how long they are), on a Monday, you read some chapters from the Law, on a Tuesday you read Poetry, on a Wednesday some Psalms. On a Thursday, you read from the Prophetic Books and on a Friday, some chapters from the remaining History Books. I also used a small card with checkboxes to "monitor my progress". On the other side I had made my own checkboxes for the deuterocanonical books. I read those on weekends or when more time was available. I read the Book of Daniel completely, with the "deuterocanonical verses", the other Books I read seperately.
And yes, Febe, in the Law we read that God is supposed to like the "perfume" of the animal sacrifices, but I personally think I would have disliked the stench of so much blood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Kasia said:
The New American Bible is the one that the readings during Mass are taken out of, so it's always a good one to have.

But, to be honest with you, I have a Jerusalem Bible and I love it for reading. It's more, I don't know, lyrical.

I would also recommend the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (RSV-CE). It is the best in my opinion.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As far as which Bible version to get, well, I think Scott Hahn is right on when he suggests any version that will be read. I would state that it should also be a Catholic version so it is complete and hasn't had books taken out. The RSV-Catholic edition, or Ignatius Bible would be nice. Of course, if you want a Bible that is used in the liturgy in the United States, you just might want the NAB. Of course, a translation from the original languages and one a little more understandable might be the Jerusalem. (If you go this route, get the 1966 translation that doesn't have inclusive language which the Vatican has spoken against.) Or if you want the beautiful poetic language (similar to the KJV) you'll be interested in the Douay-Rheimes.

Now as to how to read, Jeff Cavin's has, IMO, a terrific study called The Great Adventure. It brings you through reading the Bible in twelve chronological historical periods in which the books of the Bible are then read. Even has a timeline band which is a memory aid.

Of course, if you want to try it alone, starting with the New Testament is a good bet since it is there that we deal with Christianity. When starting with one of the four Gospels, there are some that want to read straight throug--Matthew, Mark, Luke and John while others want to start with particular books of the Gospels. (John is sometimes chosen because it emphasizes the Eucharist; Mark is sometimes chosen because it is the shortest; and my own Bible study started with Luke because he ministered to the gentiles and then wrote Acts, which is about the early Church.)

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have an NIV bible , how would i go about purchasing a Catholic Bible, especially Douay-Rheims? Also, if anyone could also give me a price range, i know this isn't a store, but i like to know where i could get one. Thanks. Any Replies to this post, would be greatly appreciated by me.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Counter-Reformer

Jan 30, 2006
New Hampshire
✟826.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ravenonthecross said:
I have an NIV bible , how would i go about purchasing a Catholic Bible, especially Douay-Rheims? Also, if anyone could also give me a price range, i know this isn't a store, but i like to know where i could get one. Thanks. Any Replies to this post, would be greatly appreciated by me.:thumbsup:
Ebay is your friend, my friend. Tis how I got my shiney 2002 edition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ravenonthecross said:
I have an NIV bible , how would i go about purchasing a Catholic Bible, especially Douay-Rheims?

A Catholic goods book store carries any number of Bible versions. the one by me can even order books that they don't have on their shelves. Also, have you looked in the religious catalogue at www.ewtn.com (I even found my more expensive Haydock Douay-Rheimes there, although they do carry the more inexpensive Douay-Rheimes Bibles) or www.leafletonline.com ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.