Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A planned all-wood replica of Noah's ark got a step closer to its Old Testament ideal on Thursday, when workers lifted yet another rib of the would-be vessel into place in a Kentucky pasture.

The future tourist attraction is called Ark Encounter — centered around a 510-foot-long ark, which the builder, a Christian ministry called "Answers in Genesis," says "will be the largest timber-frame structure in the world" when it's completed next summer.

Builders are betting big that millions of visitors will flood the Williamstown, Kentucky, attraction. Ken Ham, president of Answers in Genesis, told WLWT he expects up to about 2 million visitors per year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bible-based-all-wood-ark-takes-shape-kentucky-field-n382146

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Moses had cranes?

On a more serious note, I'd love to see the schematics and plans for this. And also the engineering behind it as to how they make sure it doesn't just collapse under its own weight.

-J
Might have something to do with the Concrete Support walls, Structural Steel Support, Rivets, ect...

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Might have something to do with the Concrete Support walls, Structural Steel Support, Rivets, ect...

That's kind of what I suspected. A free standing, wood-only structure of that size would be, at the very least, impressive. A steel-trussed, concrete-surrounded wooden sculpture is decoration.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why build it in a field? Why not build it at a sea port and then launch it?

Probably because of this:

Ken Ham is all about show. If you put him to the test, he sinks.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Moses had cranes?

On a more serious note, I'd love to see the schematics and plans for this. And also the engineering behind it as to how they make sure it doesn't just collapse under its own weight.

-J
Yes, the same cranes that Noah used when he parted the Red sea.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A planned all-wood replica of Noah's ark got a step closer to its Old Testament ideal on Thursday, when workers lifted yet another rib of the would-be vessel into place in a Kentucky pasture.

The future tourist attraction is called Ark Encounter — centered around a 510-foot-long ark, which the builder, a Christian ministry called "Answers in Genesis," says "will be the largest timber-frame structure in the world" when it's completed next summer.

Builders are betting big that millions of visitors will flood the Williamstown, Kentucky, attraction. Ken Ham, president of Answers in Genesis, told WLWT he expects up to about 2 million visitors per year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bible-based-all-wood-ark-takes-shape-kentucky-field-n382146

I was a bit disappointed to see that they are using modern day equipment, materials and tools to build it. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

A million dollar challenge to Ken Ham - Build an Ark the same way as outlined in the Bible, using the same tools, the same techniques, and the same manpower. Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZedaClaire
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was a bit disappointed to see that they are using modern day equipment, materials and tools to build it. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

A million dollar challenge to Ken Ham - Build an Ark the same way as outlined in the Bible, using the same tools, the same techniques, and the same manpower. Go!

Today we marvel at people who maintain their physical activity and mental clarity beyond the century mark, but they'd just be whippersnappers in comparison to Noah's family of ultra-geriatrics. In the fable Noah was over 500 years old and his family were all well beyond the modern-day retirement age, so replicating the manpower would be the hardest condition to meet in that challenge.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Today we marvel at people who maintain their physical activity and mental clarity beyond the century mark, but they'd just be whippersnappers in comparison to Noah's family of ultra-geriatrics. In the fable Noah was over 500 years old and his family were all well beyond the modern-day retirement age, so replicating the manpower would be the hardest condition to meet in that challenge.

That and getting their hands on some gopher wood.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ultimate challenge: Build this thing using only tools and technology available during the bronze age, fill it with animals and provisions and a crew the size of Noah's family, launch it and spend a year at sea. They may want to rethink the restaurant upstairs and carry lots of extra pitch. That thing is going to leak like a sieve.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
capture5.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Probably because of this:

Ken Ham is all about show. If you put him to the test, he sinks.

Compared to the giant straw man Nye constructed the ark was just a rowboat. :wave:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ultimate challenge: Build this thing using only tools and technology available during the bronze age, fill it with animals and provisions and a crew the size of Noah's family, launch it and spend a year at sea. They may want to rethink the restaurant upstairs and carry lots of extra pitch. That thing is going to leak like a sieve.

What is the history of the Wyoming during her first year of service (she served for 15 years before sinking)?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Moses had cranes?

-J

I spent the first 19 years of my life in a three story building, and it didn't collapse. Many of my friends also lived in three story buildings, and they lived to tell the tale. ^_^

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.