Better To Pray/Speak With God Thoughtfully, Silently Or Verbally?

I Think...

• Thoughtfully Is Enough

• Silently Is Stronger

• Verbally Is Stronger

• Does Not Matter As Long As It Is From Heart

Results are only viewable after voting.

windbreeze

Dec 6, 2011
✟7,645.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I find myself embarrassed/worrying when praying/speaking with God verbally because i don't want others hear me. What is stronger? Praying/speaking thoughtfully, silently or verbally?

Also, i know that it must be done from heart but should it be daily routine even when you don't feel like it or simply procrastinating?

If you don't want to reply, can you vote in a poll that you can see above?

S

someguy14

God hears all the thoughts and knows all the hearts.
It is a personal relationship with God.
A one on one.
When you are alone, speak outloud our thoughts, your concerns, your worries, your joys, your thankfulness.
When your relationship with God increases, your thoughts are a conversation with God, in purity, in goodness, joy, peace, comfort. A guide.
God loves you very much and takes pleasure in working with each of His children individually. He created all and is aware of all. Every need and desire. His love for every child of Him, is great. The definition of love itself. God bless friend.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find myself embarrassed/worrying when praying/speaking with God verbally because i don't want others hear me. What is stronger? Praying/speaking thoughtfully, silently or verbally?

Also, i know that it must be done from heart but should it be daily routine even when you don't feel like it or simply procrastinating?

:wave: Hi and welcome to CF! I wish ALL the questions here were so sincere, and significant!! Seriously, it's refreshing to see such a heart as is reflected by your post here. Do you know what Jesus said about "offering a cup of cold water" to one of His little ones?" ;) Do you know how Proverbs defines a cup of cold water? I will allow G-d to share such revelations with you Himself, since He enjoys your company. :) Let me just encourage you, that you are on a good path!

There is value to establishing good habits, and this surely includes both Bible reading and prayer. I put those in that order on purpose, because reading the Bible = hearing HIM, while prayer is unfortunately mostly us wanting to be heard. Who has the more important things to say? :idea: Hopefully the answer is obvious to you.

Further, I'll state that the Word teaches us that first thing in the morning and last thing at night are the most productive times to read and pray. these items are deep and I won't try to establish that here, just present the info to you for the Lord to germinate as He sees fit.

OTOH there is also danger in "just going through the motions," and rushing our way through reciting the same old written prayers can dull my heart, personally. Bottom line?

"work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12) The context of this is that God works IN us the important stuff, which is then up to us to work OUT, or make it a physical reality in our life and this world. If you'll notice, things are made such that we need each other!

Upvote 0

windbreeze

Dec 6, 2011
✟7,645.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you know what Jesus said about "offering a cup of cold water" to one of His little ones?" ;) Do you know how Proverbs defines a cup of cold water? I will allow G-d to share such revelations with you Himself, since He enjoys your company. :) Let me just encourage you, that you are on a good path!

The Bible says that we must forgive and love our enemies, pray for those who curse you and fight evil with good.

Does this have anything to do with "offering a cup of cold water"?

I read today about Elisha the prophet who ruler of Syria wanted to capture and sent his soldiers to Israel to do this because God revealed Elisha positions of Syrians soldiers what made Israelis victorious in every battle. In the end with God's help, Elisha was not captured and soldiers were taken into custody. They however were not jailed and Israelis fed soldiers and gave them water. In short, Israelis gave them warm reception and released them.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does this have anything to do with "offering a cup of cold water"?

Not really; it's simpler than that. Thanks for sharing what the Lord is showing you though!

Cup of cold water, courtesy of blueletterbible.com:

(Matthew 10:42) And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold [water] only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward."

(Mark 9:41) "For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward."

And here's about the most complex or Spiritual thing I can see Jesus drawing from in His above statement:

(Proverbs 25:25) [As] cold waters to a thirsty soul, so [is] good news from a far country."

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I would have voted "Other", reason being:

I know that the Lord hears us, whether we pray silently, or out loud. After all, He is the Almighty - and knows precisely what is going on in our minds every second. I believe that is good to pray audibly - even if very softly. But one must remember that the Lord has more compassion and understanding than any human being. Therefore, if you don't want others to hear you, and pray quietly, the Lord will understand. After all is said and done, it really is a matter of the heart - since God's Holy Spirit works in the hearts of believers. Saying that God won't answer quiet prayers is in error. I say this, because one of the greatest, most miraculously powerful answers I have ever had in this life was right after a quiet prayer.

Upvote 0

windbreeze

Dec 6, 2011
✟7,645.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not really; it's simpler than that. Thanks for sharing what the Lord is showing you though!

We can talk but can we walk the talk? For example:

How can a person forgive his enemy if he is trying to kill that person or his family? Kill or be killed? Your life or be a cannon fodder? And so far what i have heard according to Bible's sayings is illogical. Why not survive and let yourself be killed? Why sn't it about "God saves those who save themselves" saying? Why Israel that is surrounded by its enemies who want to take the last what israelis have left, simply forgive them, those who are against Israel's survival?

But one must remember that the Lord has more compassion and understanding than any human being.

How can God dedicate his time to prayers of so many human beings?

Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I've had a lot of these concerns, but prayer doesn't need to be stressful, public, or elaborate. I always find myself searching for the right words, then telling myself it doesn't matter, God knows more than the meaning of my words, more than what I think or feel. Prayer isn't for God's sake, it's for ours.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your private room, shut your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Paul urged the Ephesians (6:18) to "Pray at all times in the Spirit with every prayer and request, and stay alert in this with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints."

The idea, and I can't remember where from, is to pray throughout the day even the tiniest prayers. A word, a thought, a feeling, what matters is a prayerful attitude throughout your daily life. You don't have to stop what you're doing to talk to God, or to listen to God throughout a busy day. (I do think it's important to set aside time to speak with God privately in the morning and/or at night, as well as call on God all day every day.)

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can talk but can we walk the talk? For example:

How can a person forgive his enemy if he is trying to kill that person or his family? Kill or be killed? Your life or be a cannon fodder? And so far what i have heard according to Bible's sayings is illogical. Why not survive and let yourself be killed? Why sn't it about "God saves those who save themselves" saying? Why Israel that is surrounded by its enemies who want to take the last what israelis have left, simply forgive them, those who are against Israel's survival?

I'm not sure what you're asking, can you be more specific?

This is a valid question, but I'm not sure any of us here can impart to you the understanding necessary to see the answer. God is "outside of time." He isn't affected by it. He is infinite, which is a concept none of us can really grasp.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Well, that's due to His ability to be fully aware of what's going on everywhere at the same time. We humans are limited, but He is not. His attention is everywhere at the same time. He is the ultimate Champion of multitasking. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

windbreeze

Dec 6, 2011
✟7,645.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what you're asking, can you be more specific?

I think i transitioned here a little to another topic. What i am asking is for example how can you forgive your enemies that took away from you everything? If enemy took everything from you, your life loses meaning and you life to revenge and die peacefully when revenge has been fulfilled, like i see in many movies.

JediMobius said:
I've had a lot of these concerns, but prayer doesn't need to be stressful, public, or elaborate. I always find myself searching for the right words, then telling myself it doesn't matter, God knows more than the meaning of my words, more than what I think or feel. Prayer isn't for God's sake, it's for ours.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your private room, shut your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Paul urged the Ephesians (6:18) to "Pray at all times in the Spirit with every prayer and request, and stay alert in this with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints."

The idea, and I can't remember where from, is to pray throughout the day even the tiniest prayers. A word, a thought, a feeling, what matters is a prayerful attitude throughout your daily life. You don't have to stop what you're doing to talk to God, or to listen to God throughout a busy day. (I do think it's important to set aside time to speak with God privately in the morning and/or at night, as well as call on God all day every day.)

Then what about praying if you took a snack? Must i pray everytime i consume a little, like eating one potato chip occassionally? What if i am hungry, preparing food and food tempts me into tasting it or eating a little to taste if i prepare food correctly?

Now about thanking God before meal in family where only i pray? I don't want them to think oddly about me and i would feel embarrassed being one who thanks God for meal in a holiday evening on family reunion.

What would be correct way? Going to another room and pray there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0