Best marriage advice to a soon-to-be-married couple?

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've only been married for 6 months...so I have little experience, but here's one recommendation, I've already learned. Don't get complacent. Just because you are permanently bound, doesn't mean you should stop trying. Every little effort counts, when those go, a lot can go wrong. Keep putting into the relationship what you put in, before marriage, because it is easy to get caught up in life and forget to do the nice things.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's the best advice I ever got, and I share it all the time. People usually reject it and don't like it, and look at me as if I must have a terrible marriage, but a lot of people come back to me months or years later and thank me.

The day will come in your marriage, in weeks, months, years or decades, when you will wonder, (or her will wonder, or you both will wonder) what you ever saw in him and how you ever could have married him. I know that right now that seems impossible, but trust me, the day will come . And, on that day, if there were a gun beside the day, the only question will be, do I use it on him or myself?

And the thing to remember is, every marriage has this day, though many people won't admit it, and you, with God's help, can work through this, and your marriage will be healthier and better after you do, so don't despair when the day comes.

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's the best advice I ever got, and I share it all the time. People usually reject it and don't like it, and look at me as if I must have a terrible marriage, but a lot of people come back to me months or years later and thank me.

The day will come in your marriage, in weeks, months, years or decades, when you will wonder, (or her will wonder, or you both will wonder) what you ever saw in him and how you ever could have married him. I know that right now that seems impossible, but trust me, the day will come . And, on that day, if there were a gun beside the day, the only question will be, do I use it on him or myself?

And the thing to remember is, every marriage has this day, though many people won't admit it, and you, with God's help, can work through this, and your marriage will be healthier and better after you do, so don't despair when the day comes.

poignant and real, true, and hard for the new 'uns to imagine....but I guess another piece of advice would be....DO expect that, DONT be naive....no need to dwell on it....just dont discount its coming

Upvote 0

HiluxBakkie

Feb 8, 2011
✟7,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Foundations that is the key, a good foundation in Christ. I read on one webpage the following though it might sound funny i believe it has a lot of true in.

Ten commandments for husbands
1.Thou shalt not take thy wife for granted, but will honour and respect her as thy equal. (1 Pet 3:7)
2.Thy highest allegiance, except God, shall be to thy wife, not thy relatives or friends. (Gen 2:24)
3.Thou shalt frequently tell thy wife how important & valuable she is to thee. (Phil 2:3; Prov 31:10-11)
4.Thou shalt hold thy wife's love by the same means that thou won it. (Sos 5:10-16)
5.Thou shalt actively establish family discipline with thy wife's help. (Eph 6:4)
6.Remember to do all the little things for thy wife when you say you will. (Mt 5:37)
7.Keep thine eyes on thy own wife, not thy neighbors. (Prov 5:15-20; Job 31:1; Jer 5:8)
8.Thou shalt make every effort to see things from thy wife's point of view. (Gen 21:12)
9.Thou shalt not fail to kiss thy wife every morning. (Sos 8:1)
10.Thou shalt not be stingy with thy wife when it comes to money. (Esther 5:3)
Ten commandments for wives
1.Expect not thy husband to give thee as many luxuries as thy father hath given thee after many years of hard labor. (Phil 4:11; Amos 4:1)
2.Thou shalt work hard to build thy house with the husband that you have, not fantasizing about "the one that could have been". (Prov 14:1)
3.Thou shalt not nag...hit him with thine frying pan, it is kindlier. (Prov 27:15; 21:19)
4.Thou shalt coddle thy husband and be a warm wife. (1 Cor 7:3-5)
5.Remember that the frank approval of thy husband is more to thee than the side glances of many strangers. (Ezek 16:32; 2 Pet 2:14)
6.Thou shalt not yell at thy husband but will be a gentle and quiet spirit. (1 Pet 3:1-4)
7.Permit no one to assure thee that thou art having a hard time of it. (1 Pet 5:9)
8.Thou shall not fail to dress up for thy husband with an eye to please him, as thou didst before marriage. (Sos 4:9-11)
9.Thou shalt submit to thy husband from thy heart and allow him to be head of the household. (Col 3:18; 1 Pet 3:6; Eph 5:33)
10.Thou shalt assure thy husband and others that he is the greatest man alive. (Phil 2:3; Sos 5:9-16)

Upvote 0

zeland2236

Jan 18, 2011
✟15,475.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What would your best marriage advice be? As short or as long as you want.

Hear are my thoughts for your question.

Each marital act must be open to new life.

Accept whatever children God gives you.

Avoid contraception, or any form of artificial birth control. These acts are seriously sinful (Genesis 38: 8 - 10)

If you need to space your children, use NFP (Natural Family Planning). It is more effective than artificial birth control, and is morally permissible.

Families who use NFP have about a 3% or 4% divorce rate, as opposed to a 50% rate for contracepting couples.

Avoid any form of inappropriate contentography, and R-rated movies.

The family that prays together, stays together.

Upvote 0