Best evidence for paedobaptism

S

SeventhValley

you are kinda there. Hades and Sheol were just the Greek and Semetic names for the place of the dead. Abraham's bosom is still in Sheol, and it is NOT paradise because paradise was closed before the death of Christ. and theosis is never complete, since God is eternal.

Ok Thanks :) So I pretty much had it.
Not sure why Greg is so grumpy today.

Needs a Snickers maybe.

This is a tangent that Greg got on.

I am wondering why a godparent or parent would make a statement for someone who cannot yet make a promise to God which is what St.Peter said is what matters. I can promise God that my kids will be faithful but they might not despite my best efforts. So it still seems to me that infant baptism is more for the parent with the kid maybe making good on the promise. Kind of like how funerals are for the living.

I still agree with it though overall.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am wondering why a godparent or parent would make a statement for someone who cannot yet make a promise to God which is what St.Peter said is what matters. I can promise God that my kids will be faithful but they might not despite my best efforts. So it still seems to me that infant baptism is more for the parent with the kid maybe making good on the promise. Kind of like how funerals are for the living.

no because baptism is about throwing off the old man and putting on Christ. the vow of the Godparents for the baby is a part of that (because, as Godparents it is their duty to help the parents and clergy in the spiritual growth of this child), but the baptism is to be clothed in Christ.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, unfortunately! I wish there was an Orthodox canon allowing me to trade mine in!! 😳😳😳

hahaha, there kinda is. if he is not doing the job, find another Orthodox person who can guide you in the faith. I still might be close to my Godfather and my first priest, but they are not the only ones who give me spiritual guidance.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps Orthodoxy has a five-year return policy on jerkwad Deacon godfathers? :p:sorry:

hahaha, there kinda is. if he is not doing the job, find another Orthodox person who can guide you in the faith. I still might be close to my Godfather and my first priest, but they are not the only ones who give me spiritual guidance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Baptism and Chrismation and receiving the Eucharist have made a difference in my spiritual life.

If you believe the sacraments are effective, and they are available to your beloved child, why would you want to withhold them from the child?

As someone said about medicine working without the person understanding how it works. But if the question in the OP is "why would you provide this to your child?" ... I would say, why wouldn't you?

It's not a matter of "purchasing salvation" ... God judges, as always, and we don't presume to do so. But it is a matter of providing spiritual care to a child you are responsible for.

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up and a further cleaning may take place.

Please remember the following rule when posting:

Congregational Forum Restrictions

Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.

You can find that listed within the Christian Forums Rules / Terms of Service

You are not allowed to teach or debate in any congregational forum unless you TRULY share their core teachings and beliefs. You can post in fellowship or ask questions but you can not teach OR debate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps Orthodoxy has a five-year return policy on jerkwad Deacon godfathers? :p:sorry:

well, I know many who have nuns or monks on speed dial because they need some guidance that they are not getting. if the person who is your Godparent is not doing the job, it does not mean that you cannot look for someone who can give you the guidance you need.

and I know he has hurt you dude, but you really should not call the deacon names.

continued prayers for you! hang in there

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But how dose that square with St.Peter saying it is not the water but the promise?

St Peter never says that I don't think. he uses Noah account as a prototype, but even there it was water WITH a promise.

Upvote 0