Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If Jesus is real, why do Christian's say they believe in him. Shouldn't they say I know him?

How can one believe something they know?

Welcome to C F ! I hope you enjoy your time spent here. You bring up a very good point. The Bible uses believe and know as much the same thing. You can't know Jesus if you don't believe in Him as Gods one and only Son. Do you understand this now? Good to ask questions. have a few more?

Upvote 0

believeume

NQR in the head.
Sep 25, 2016
Now I know
✟8,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to C F ! I hope you enjoy your time spent here. You bring up a very good point. The Bible uses believe and know as much the same thing. You can't know Jesus if you don't believe in Him as Gods one and only Son. Do you understand this now? Good to ask questions. have a few more?
So you know what you believe, do you ever know in a classical sense?

Not withholding your biblical terminology of belief and knowing, but they mean two different thing's in the english language.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you know what you believe, do you ever know in a classical sense?

Not withholding your biblical terminology of belief and knowing, but they mean two different thing's in the english language.

I gave you my answer. If you prefer to accept it fine, if not that's fine too. I really don't want to split hairs.

Just starting out why be so technical? If you don't like an answer by someone ignore it. Unless I am reading you wrong. Your post back to me seems a little snarky. Am I?

Upvote 0

believeume

NQR in the head.
Sep 25, 2016
Now I know
✟8,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I gave you my answer. If you prefer to accept it fine, if not that's fine too. I really don't want to split hairs.

Just starting out why be so technical? If you don't like an answer by someone ignore it. Unless I am reading you wrong. Your post back to me seems a little snarky. Am I?
No, my intention is to get to the crux of a dilemma I have with believing or knowing. I believed in Jesus for a very long time but it never came around to actually knowing anything (In a classical sense) Sustaining belief 24/7 was exhausting, and my faith never held up to scrutiny.

I can't walk back into belief blind again, it's dangerous for me and I get taken advantage of.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, my intention is to get to the crux of a dilemma I have with believing or knowing. I believed in Jesus for a very long time but it never came around to actually knowing anything (In a classical sense) Sustaining belief 24/7 was exhausting, and my faith never held up to scrutiny.

I can't walk back into belief blind again, it's dangerous for me and I get taken advantage of.

I understand your issue. Can I help in some way?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Jesus is real, why do Christian's say they believe in him. Shouldn't they say I know him?

Hello Believeume,

Basically, many Christians say they "believe" in Jesus because the semantic notion of coming "to know" someone typically means to have a social, empirical, face-to-face interaction with another person. As I'm sure you understand, this isn't usually the kind of interaction that most of us will ever have with Jesus in the space of a single lifetime.

So, we Christians refer mostly to the notion that we "Believe" in Jesus, or that we have "Faith" in Jesus, because we rely on a body of Christian tradition which is not comprehensive in its epistemological scope or in its social or psychological depth.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Believeume, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

You wrote:

Frighteningly, there is a kind of faith/belief that does not save. The demons "believe" in God, and they know what and who He is (and they shudder because of it .. James 2:19), but their "kind" of faith cannot save them.

Belief/faith that saves involves "trust", therefore, it's more than simply an intellectual ascent to His existence. True Christians don't simply/only believe "in" God, we truly "believe God" as well, knowing (for instance) that His promises to graciously save us, based upon the merits of Another, are true.

If sustaining belief in Him was exhausting for you, then I think it's pretty safe to conclude that you never had "saving" faith in Him, IOW, that you never became a "Christian" to begin with. Saving faith is not exhausting, in fact, it's quite the opposite. What is truly exhausting and frustrating for me is trying to live my life as a Christian 'apart' from faith and trust in Him.

You are correct though, our "knowing" Him (and He us :) .. John 17:3; Matthew 7:22-23) is at the very heart of our salvation, as those who do not know Him (nor He them) cannot be saved.

I was baptized a baby and attended church and Sunday School regularly through to my college years. I very much believed that there was a God, and that He was the one described in the Bible. So I always believed that I was a Christian, that is, until I actually became one when I was 30 years old.

Yours and His,
David

"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and
believe in your heart that God raised Him
from the dead, you shall be saved"

Romans 10:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That is a nonsensical question.
How can you not believe in something you know? I know 2+2=4 just as I believe 2+2=4; knowing is believing.
And I do know Him and believe in Him because He lives in me through the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I believe in my wife because I know her. Belief and knowledge are not mutually exclusive things.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

believeume

NQR in the head.
Sep 25, 2016
Now I know
✟8,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hello Believeume,

Basically, many Christians say they "believe" in Jesus because the semantic notion of coming "to know" someone typically means to have a social, empirical, face-to-face interaction with another person. As I'm sure you understand, this isn't usually the kind of interaction that most of us ever have with Jesus in the space of a single lifetime. So, we refer mostly to the notion that we "Believe" in Jesus, or that we have "Faith" in Jesus, because we rely on a body of Christian tradition which is not comprehensive in its epistemological scope or in its social or psychological depth.

Peace
2PhiloVoid
So does one know after they embrace belief?

Upvote 0

believeume

NQR in the head.
Sep 25, 2016
Now I know
✟8,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hi Believeume, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

You wrote:

Frighteningly, there is a kind of faith/belief that does not save. The demons "believe" in God, and they know what and who He is (and they shudder because of it .. James 2:19), but their "kind" of faith cannot save them.

Belief/faith that saves involves "trust", therefore, it's more than simply an intellectual ascent to His existence. True Christians don't simply/only believe "in" God, we truly "believe God" as well, knowing (for instance) that His promises to graciously save us, based upon the merits of Another, are true.

If sustaining belief in Him was exhausting for you, then I think it's pretty safe to conclude that you never had "saving" faith in Him, IOW, that you never became a "Christian" to begin with. Saving faith is not exhausting, in fact, it's quite the opposite. What is truly exhausting and frustrating for me is trying to live my life as a Christian 'apart' from faith and trust in Him.

You are correct though, our "knowing" Him (and He us :) .. John 17:3; Matthew 7:22-23) is at the very heart of our salvation, as those who do not know Him (nor He them) cannot be saved.

I was baptized a baby and attended church and Sunday School regularly through to my college years. I very much believed that there was a God, and that He was the one described in the Bible. So I always believed that I was a Christian, that is, until I actually became one when I was 30 years old.

Yours and His,
David

"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and
believe in your heart that God raised Him
from the dead, you shall be saved"

Romans 10:9
What a relief, but why did I miss the mark for so long. How is it possible to reach the right faith now?

Upvote 0

believeume

NQR in the head.
Sep 25, 2016
Now I know
✟8,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
That is a nonsensical question.
How can you not believe in something you know? I know 2+2=4 just as I believe 2+2=4; knowing is believing.

And I do know Him and believe in Him because He lives in me through the Holy Spirit.
Yeah, I guess the spirit would be strong evidence. Is it even detectable? How do you know your got the right spirit, are there tests you can put yourself through.

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
because they believe what they know to be true.

Upvote 0