Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
✟21,138.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
:wave:Hi folks

I know I haven't posted in a while but been sorting a few issues out in my life this is still on going although a few minor victories have been seen and God has been faithful.

Anyways can you help with something

John 7:37-39 (New International Version)

37On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as[a] the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

The verse highlighted states we need to believe in Jesus as the scriptures have said, could you point me in the direction of theses scriptures.

Thanks

Hearty.

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Are you using Biblegateway.com? I went to the NASB version, and clicked on the cross reference for that part of the verse. It gave me

Isaiah 44:3;

3'For (A)I will pour out water on the thirsty land
And streams on the dry ground;
I will (B)pour out My Spirit on your (C)offspring
And My blessing on your descendants;

Isaiah 55:1;

1"Ho! Every one who (A)thirsts, come to the waters;
And you who have (B)no money come, buy and eat
Come, buy (C)wine and milk
(D)Without money and without cost.

Isaiah 58:11

11"And the (A)LORD will continually guide you,
And (B)satisfy your desire in scorched places,
And (C)give strength to your bones;
And you will be like a (D)watered garden,
And like a (E)spring of water whose waters do not fail.

Does that help? You might try other versions as well. (NASB is my personal favorite! ;) )

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Ok just answered my own question, not every bible version has the cross references at the bottom of each passage.

Yah, I tried it on the NIV but couldn't get anything. That's why I suggested the NASB. You might get even more hits off of some of the other translations too.

Upvote 0

MrSnow

May 30, 2007
✟8,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is my understanding that "as the scripture has said" refers to the part following it - "streams of living water will flow from within him", not to the part about belief.

To word it differently: "This scripture will happen to all who believe in me - 'streams of living water will flow from within him.'"

So we don't have to look for an OT verse that says "believe in the Messiah".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.