Nov 12, 2004
Southampton, England
Visit site
✟15,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully you guys can help me on this one, cos to be honest...I'm totally baffled. I went to a talk at my church a couple of weeks ago titled 'Blessings and Curses'. A group form another ministry had come in especially who are very popular and who run hundreds or christian courses each year. The talk was very interesting and it opened my eyes to alot.
After the talk I went for some prayer with the lady who had giving the teaching. I used to be involved in new age stuff, the occult and buddhism...so she prayed that no curses, no negativity still rested in me through me having delved in this. She also asked me if I had been a vegetarian, to which I replyed yes. I'd been one for 2.5 years, although I'm now eating meat again. She told me that this is not what God would want as in the bible there's so much reference to God providing us with meat as food...and by being vege, we set ourself up for curses to come into our lfe because it's a sin.
I've never heard this at all, she's the first person to have said it to me. Is it really a sin to love animals so much that we decide not to eat them? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this.:confused:

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
To the best of my knowledge, vegetarianism is not considered a sin. However, biblically there is no spiritual or religious reason to observe vegetarianism.

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not: and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
- Romans 14:1-3

You may also want to read 1 Timothy 4:1-5. Which basically says to be careful of those who push vegetarianism as a religious or spiritual practice.. or also preach abstaining from marriage. There is nothing wrong with these things in and of themselves.. but there's also no necessity.

Upvote 0

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
um.. I assume this means that God says we can eat the animals, just like we can eat the plants.
3. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

I assume you mean verse 4, 5 or 6.
4But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. 5And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at teh hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. 6Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Which, if I am getting this correctly.. stating that it is important that whatever you eat is dead and the meat has been bled and cooked. But then verse 5 and 6, which seem to be aimed more at the killing of men, could be interpreted to mean no killing.

Upvote 0

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no...I meant v3.

(and remember, I am not speaking for myself)

The text suggests that God is NOW giving them the animals to eat, just as he had previously (pre-flood) given them the plants to eat.
This is why God has to explain how to eat (and not eat) the animals now...

Upvote 0

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
oh.. I see what you mean. I misunderstood when you said creation you meant creation only.. not creation and all that followed.

Yes, Genesis 1:28-30.. suggests that God initially intended man to rule and live peacefully with the animals.. and only to eat of the plants. I would tend to agree that those who say this about Genesis 9:3 may be reaching with that particular verse, but may not be all that far off.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wouldn't think that Vegetarianism would be considered a sin. But then again, I haven't done much research on the topic either. I also don't understand why someone would compare Vegetarianism with curses and occult practices. :confused:

Upvote 0

XxGenesiSxX

Nov 12, 2004
Southampton, England
Visit site
✟15,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Holly3278 said:
I wouldn't think that Vegetarianism would be considered a sin. But then again, I haven't done much research on the topic either. I also don't understand why someone would compare Vegetarianism with curses and occult practices. :confused:
The women was talking about the sin that we commit can bring about curses on our lives and other generations in our family that follow. She didn't actually address the issue of vegetarianism in front of the whole church, it was only asked of me whhen we were talking after. I had told her that I used to be very much into new age practices and such, that I've always been a bit of a hippy...that's when she asked me. She also went on about tattoos and piercings(mainly being carried over from eastern religions..hence not Godly) as I've got a few of these too. To be honest, the whole thing totally blew me away. I love God to bits but some of the things she was saying were bad? Well, I find it hard to get my head round. The vege bit most of all! She must have meant that as God gave us meat to eat, in a way, it would be disrespectful for us not to eat it? Perhaps this is what she means? And I suppose that by living with as much respect for God as possible...we stand far less chance of being cursed in any way.
(That last bit is just a thought...I dunno how you guys feel?)

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
XxGenesiSxX said:
The women was talking about the sin that we commit can bring about curses on our lives and other generations in our family that follow. She didn't actually address the issue of vegetarianism in front of the whole church, it was only asked of me whhen we were talking after. I had told her that I used to be very much into new age practices and such, that I've always been a bit of a hippy...that's when she asked me. She also went on about tattoos and piercings(mainly being carried over from eastern religions..hence not Godly) as I've got a few of these too. To be honest, the whole thing totally blew me away. I love God to bits but some of the things she was saying were bad? Well, I find it hard to get my head round. The vege bit most of all! She must have meant that as God gave us meat to eat, in a way, it would be disrespectful for us not to eat it? Perhaps this is what she means? And I suppose that by living with as much respect for God as possible...we stand far less chance of being cursed in any way.
(That last bit is just a thought...I dunno how you guys feel?)
I was a vegetarian for a number of years, and have similarly "always been a bit of a hippy". I'm totally down with vegetarianism as part of a healthy lifestyle (even though I'm not a strict vegetarian these days :blush:), but would agree with other posters to beware of vegetarianism in a spiritual or religious context. As for the tats and piercings... I think those have been addressed in other threads, you may want to search CF to see if there are any ongoing discussions. And of course, there's nothing wrong with being a bit of a hippy; as long as our hearts are devoted to Christ there's nothing to worry about, right? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvmywyf

Nov 11, 2004
Rome (NY, silly!)
✟7,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God did originally tell us not to eat meat. There was no meat as blood had not been shed for the forgiveness of sin. Then, it was no pork products, cleft-footed animals, scavengers, shellfish, etc. These, along with poorly-cooked beef and foul and fish, are unhealthy, not sinful. The thing we need to realize is that God was not just arbitrarily making commands to Israel. He was advocating better health practices. Eating meat sacrificed to idols is wrong because we're not communicating our love for Him.

Try this one:

Romans 14
23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

"Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial."

On the topic of piercings... I had one earring for a handful of years. Even after I accepted Christ. I've been bought and kept by my free will. My ear remained pierced as a part of my witness.

On the topic of health... I've just cut back on caffienated sodas in the last 2 weeks and have already lost 5% of my body weight. Now, to figure out how to lose the next 25%.

Derek

Upvote 0

JD_shalom

The One
Aug 6, 2003
Trinidad (West Indies)
✟659.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
XxGenesiSxX said:
The women was talking about the sin that we commit can bring about curses on our lives and other generations in our family that follow. QUOTE]

Actually I've heard the same too - not that it's really a sin but that it's a practice by other religions. I would not call the name of the sect, but my country is inter-religious. There are some which stay away from meat at certain times to allow certain spirits to dwell in them or in their homes or whatever. Something like that. So that's why it was kind of considered not so favoured to be a vegetarian although being a vege in itself is not a sin. I wouldn't think it is.

Upvote 0

Green Orchid

earth nomad
Jul 23, 2004
✟6,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On a side note here, the woman who was telling you you can "bring curses" on your life by doing this on that... she's off. That's not biblical. You are a child of God, you cannot be cursed. If you do sin (and I wouldn't consider vegetarianism to be a sin) then there are consequences, but a curse? No way, Jesus took away the curse of sin and death at the Cross.

:wave:

Upvote 0

claire_ferg

Oct 9, 2004
London
✟147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is for freedom that Christ has set you free!

Eat what you like. Let no-one judge you based on what you eat, drink, what you wear (please cover your private parts though!) etc. You live to and for God.

But, being Christian and human (and having the command to take care of the earth) I think that the church (that's us) should be making more of a stand against the cruel practises of battery farming chickens, factory farming animals (including dairy cows) and if it means becoming vegetarian in order to make a point and set a standard for the world, so be it.

God looks at the heart. If you are trying to be vegatarian because ot peer-pressure or cult-pressure or because you think it makes you more "spiritual"... don't do it. But we know animal flesh is not actually healthy for us, or needed in our modern diets. Eating animal flesh contributes to an industry with dodgy ethical standards.

These animals are being kept in awful conditions, never see daylight, are mass-slaughtered, arrive at the slaughter houses with broken legs and suffering etc... we really shuld wake up and take a stand for the way these animals that land up on our supermarket shelves get treated before they die.

i'm telling you, we would win more souls for the Lord if the world saw the Christians standing up for God's creation. i'm not saying become vegetarian (I enjoy eating meat), but make sure its organic and that the animal has spent some of its life in a field, tasted grass and seen the sun before it entered the factory and got electrocuted.

Reactions: nvrbnunloved
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

onlybygrace

Nov 8, 2004
Toronto
✟7,681.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
claire_ferg said:
But, being Christian and human (and having the command to take care of the earth) I think that the church (that's us) should be making more of a stand against the cruel practises of battery farming chickens, factory farming animals (including dairy cows) and if it means becoming vegetarian in order to make a point and set a standard for the world, so be it....
These animals are being kept in awful conditions, never see daylight, are mass-slaughtered, arrive at the slaughter houses with broken legs and suffering etc... we really shuld wake up and take a stand for the way these animals that land up on our supermarket shelves get treated before they die.
Good points. I ate meat my entire life until about 9 months ago. I became vegetarian all the sudden because I am an animal lover, and in good conscience I could not support the inhuman treatment of animals anymore. So no, I don't believe being vegetarian is a sin.

But I also believe that eating meat is fine too. I don't believe there is any scriptural command either way. Just pray about it and do what Spirit guides you to do.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
claire_ferg said:
It is for freedom that Christ has set you free!

Eat what you like. Let no-one judge you based on what you eat, drink, what you wear (please cover your private parts though!) etc. You live to and for God.
Can I hear an AMEN!

Upvote 0

claire_ferg

Oct 9, 2004
London
✟147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think I should also add this:

The lady who came to do the ministry at the place where the original poster was, is a woman of God. We need to remember that people like her spend a lot of time "in the Spirit" (as we all should), and see the world through spiritually mature eyes... they are a lot more aware of the workings of the spiritual realm than us. What she is saying is (in a strong sence) very true. Its like cigarettes are a "gateway" drug... few people smoke dope without having first smoked a cigarette. So too, getting in to vegetarianism and the subculture (which DOES have a spiritual element and decepions around it) around it... you know, the sence of PRIDE vegetarians often feel because they are able to sacrifice their indulgence of/in meat, and somehow makes them morally better etc., is getting in to a spiritual - uh - element.

I remember being at a women's convention, and the prophetess told this girl to take off her toe-rings, because the symbolise a refusal to submit to your husband in some or other culture/religion. The teenager just thought they looked cool, ya know... but it was not UNTRUE that toe-rings mean something spiritually when they are used symbolically. Same, I think with vegitarianism... it all depends for what and TO WHOM you are acting.

Another quick point -

To find out who you are worshipping, find out WHO or WHAT influences your decision-making most. If its not God, you are probably in idolatory and have some stuff to sort out! Those who walk in the Spirit will not gratify the demands of the "flesh"... er - sinful nature, i should say!

Upvote 0

RMB62

Sep 19, 2004
NC
✟304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would double check anything someone says against what the Bible says on the subject and pray for guidance. While I do not know this women, from what you have written, I have my doubts on her true spirituality.
If the women or any women is wearing toe rings, what does that have to do with their walk with God? Unless it is a form of self worship and is a roadblock between you and the Lord, I see nothing wrong.
Long hair on a man is another example, hippies and other cultures have men in long hair, so does this mean long hair is a sin?
She seems to want to put her beliefs on certain subjects as doctrine. The only doctrine I would be concerned about is that spoken by Christ.

Upvote 0