IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, I'm not going for jury duty (although I have in the past). I'm watchin tv with a court case on it while I'm working and doing this. :p

Anyway, couple questions:

How would you feel about being on a jury in general?

What kind of case would you NOT want to be a juror for?

What would be an intolerable length of time to be on a jury (in this case on tv the jury was sequestered for 7 weeks)?

Do you feel it's your duty?

If you could, would you opt out?

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
NGL, would find a reason or a loophole to get out of going.

I work almost every day....I need that money to pay rent. If I have to take more than two or three days off to do this, things will begin to get tight. And we all know how long trials last.

And thirdly, my opinion never matters. So even if I got on there and was on a case, it would all be for naught.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
No, I'm not going for jury duty (although I have in the past). I'm watchin tv with a court case on it while I'm working and doing this. :p

Anyway, couple questions:

How would you feel about being on a jury in general?

What would be an intolerable length of time to be on a jury (in this case on tv the jury was sequestered for 7 weeks)?

If you could, would you opt out?

I would be okay with it if it was for something I could stomach. Murder, perhaps. Rape, perhaps. Larceny, things like that. Not anything too sickening though (like the details of certain murder or rape trials would have me saying "hell no" - again, it depends). I have a very visceral response to things or people that repulse me. Anything longer than a day would be ridiculous because I have a baby at home. I would see about opting out - and would probably be allowed to for my reasoning. I feel as though it is a duty, but if there are considerable reasons why one cannot at that time, then that should be understood.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would love to be on a jury actually.

But I'd never get picked to be on one. I know too many lawyers on a personal level and I'm getting to the point of being "too educated" to be your "average citizen". They don't want people who are smart enough to figure out the system.

Otherwise, I don't really feel its my duty, I sort of feel like the justice system is a joke. Their idea of impartiality is my idea of brainwashing...Sort of like, don't be so open minded your brain falls out. But I would love to have the opportunity and experience. The kind of case doesn't matter, I think a murder would be the most interesting. And really 6 weeks is too much, 2 weeks max would be ideal for me as long as it doesn't interfere with school. I am a student, so school comes first. If I'm not in school, then obviously money becomes an issue.

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was once called to serve jury duty in Los Angeles. Unfortunately I lived in Kentucky at the time--otherwise I would have gone.

I wouldn't want to take part in a case that involved serious violent crime, nor anything where anyone had to testify about the details of their private lives. Small claims cases would be more along my lines.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How would you feel about being on a jury in general? Ugh. My least favorite part about it would be getting up at the crack of dawn. I'm a night shifter.

A case where someone is guilty due to a moronic law being in place, but he's in the right.

What would be an intolerable length of time to be on a jury (in this case on tv the jury was sequestered for 7 weeks)? I haven't really thought about that.

I believe it's the right thing to do. "Duty" has this connotation that I owe it to somebody though, and I don't feel that I do.

If you could, would you opt out? I don't believe I have that option, but right now? Yeah, I'd take it.

Upvote 0