KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Made this thread mostly out of curiosity's sake: Would you rather have a friend (let's say of the same sex, for argument's sake) who really "got" you and who always seemed to know what you were thinking, or a lover who didn't really understand you but who deeply cared for you anyway?

(I know, I know, it's a false dichotomy. But again, this is just for argument's sake).

Perhaps another way of framing it could be: What bothers you more? Loneliness or alienation?

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Same. It really takes both to make a great life long partner, but I'd rather have someone who understands me over someone I'm just attracted to.

And really, loneliness and alienation both are bothering me. I'm more or less having to start from scratch. I'm just now climbing out of a six year long depression, and most of the people I cared for have moved on with their lives. Its hard motivating myself to find new people, but the first thing I'd want is someone who has a good understanding of me.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Both, obviously.

But since you force me to choose...actually I would rather the person who cares for me regardless. I am used to alienation and people not "getting me", so I can deal with that. But it would, admittedly, be nice to have someone that really loved me (romantically) anyway.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope that choosing one wouldn't mean that you'd NEVER have a chance for the other.

I'd take the friend. I don't think it's really possible to love someone you don't understand. I've been "loved" by guys who didn't know me deep down, didn't get me one bit, and it was empty and meaningless to me. You can't love what you don't comprehend. Someone who claims to love a person that they don't understand, is more likely loving an IDEA than a real person.

If there's no deep, profound, soul-to-soul connection, I don't want it.

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that you can have both but then you end up spreading yourself too thin. I've been guilty of investing to much emotionally in friendships and then being distant in romantic relationships. For me, it's just easier not to put all your eggs in one basket, and safer. And it's an issue. But I'd rather have romantic partner that deeply loved me than a soul-mate friend because I have become increasingly closed off

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Made this thread mostly out of curiosity's sake: Would you rather have a friend (let's say of the same sex, for argument's sake) who really "got" you and who always seemed to know what you were thinking, or a lover who didn't really understand you but who deeply cared for you anyway?

(I know, I know, it's a false dichotomy. But again, this is just for argument's sake).

Perhaps another way of framing it could be: What bothers you more? Loneliness or alienation?
Because it is a false dichotomy, I can't answer. I need both in my opinion so there is no either/or and more importantly, the romantic side the girl has to be in the best friend category as well. (I put 'category' best friendships should be put into categories because sometimes you find friends who are friends and then new friends who really have a positive affect for you, and then you have the romantic partner that is in that category).

Loneliness bothers me more though. When I feel alienated, I know how to get rid of that by learning how to adapt to my surrounding to the best of my ability and that normally suffices. I have moved around quite a bit so you learn how to do that. Loneliness though, no drug takes care of, no clever words of so called wisdom takes care of it, no song takes care of it. The only thing that helps is a goal with a woman because you know...you have someone there either one with you, or waiting to be with you. I HATE the feeling of loneliness...just thankfully I have never gotten desperate and my bad ways of dealing with it in my past was very limited.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

puffca

Veteran
Mar 25, 2007
NY
✟11,080.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Because of the huge generation gap between my parents and myself, and because I know how bad a person I am, sometimes I feel devil itself understands me much more than my parents do. But, that doesn't make me feel any less about my parents' love, which I would trade nothing for.

Upvote 0

puffca

Veteran
Mar 25, 2007
NY
✟11,080.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Oops, if you mean romantic love...
My understanding of romantic love is that it is not solely based on eros and agape, that is, certain level of mutual understanding has to be there. I can't imagine someone that loves me romantically but doesn't understand me.
So, I can't vote on this.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Understanding can be a learned skill.. while the sex drive just happens. Though I'd concede there are levels of understanding. You have one form that's like, "we think similar" or "I know how his mind works", then you have "awareness of idiosyncrasies" and a strong bond, despite your intellectual differences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hm, both actually; but, I guess I'd rather have somebody love me romantically (I can always reach out to Heaven for understanding) :D
This is actually a really good answer that I didn't even think of. I've always wanted to be understood. But then again God understands me completely and to be honest He's all that counts in the long run. So I don't know... If it's someone who loves me deeply as you say, maybe even if they dont understand they would still care. And that's good enough for me. I don't expect people to understand me at all times even though it would be nice.

So yeah. Im going with him and saying someone who loves me, and looking to God for understanding.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As the OP said though (unless they changed it and i missed it) the person who understands you would be of the same sex as you. I don't think that would change a lot of your answers, but just thought I'd throw that out there. :p

Upvote 0

Gym

CF's Ruskie
Sep 10, 2009
✟12,239.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As the OP said though (unless they changed it and i missed it) the person who understands you would be of the same sex as you. I don't think that would change a lot of your answers, but just thought I'd throw that out there. :p

oops.. missed that somehow... uhh... ehh oh wells I'm leaving my answer anyways

Upvote 0