nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, Sammy and JoJo aren't even going to be born for another few weeks (and this first time mama is terrified, ayieeee!!!), but we pray for them nightly, and sing hymns to them. That will only continue and increase after they're born.

In EO, we understand each household as a mini-church, and it must be run accordingly, with diginity and holiness, prayers, chanting, etc.

That's how I understand it now. Ask me again in a month, when I've gone days without sleep. :p

LK

Upvote 0

3toraiseup

Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Eva,

Welcome to a whole new world! How I do it is to 'do all things as unto the Lord'. This means whether I'm planning a dinner or doing laundry, I offer my work up as gift to God.

1. Treasure your husband. As the weeks turn into months and days seem routine, make a conscious effort to show your love for your husband and/or children every day. At the begining of the day, ask yourself what you can do for him today so he will feel your love. Sometimes, it is as simple as making his coffee in the morning or being one step ahead of the housework.

2. Maintain your relationship with God. Let God be your first love in the morning and last at night. Then, take Him with you in your heart everywhere you go each day.

3. Tie the two together. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Living out the Gospel as wife and mother is the same for all Catholics.

I tend to think more abstractly, so if you were looking for practical ways to apply, some things I do are...

Bless my children on the way out the door everyday. Offer to pray for my husband when he is having a tough time at the office. Ensure there are special prayertimes for the family at mealtime and bedtime and other times as needed throughout the day. My job as wife and mother is to get my husband and children to heaven. I do that by example and encouragement. Daily opportunities are given throught my day to share Scripture with my husband or children, it helps get them through disappointments, frustrations, it helps to encourage them toward goodness instead of temptations to choose the wrong path and very frequently as a wife and mother I have the opportunity to reflect on the blessings and beauty of God's touch on our lives. Women are more bent toward appreciating beauty, I think and noticing the little things in life. I love the opportunity to share with my family the many ways we receive God's mercy and love each day!

Upvote 0

HappyMomof4

Thank You Jesus!
Aug 9, 2004
✟9,453.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I got this advice during confession once, when I was fed up with the kids:

Do everything you do for God. Mundane, trivial, repetitive things that you do over and over. Dishes, laundry, etc. Instead of getting tired of it and bored and resentful, do it for God. Make it a sort of a prayer.

Family prayer is wonderful, even if it's just grace before meals. It brings us all together. And bringing up topics that pertain to their learning the faith.

As a wife, I try to always appreciate, love and honor my husband. I used to nag a lot (I'm still working on that), but that takes away from his position of honor in the eyes of the children. So when old arguements would come to the surface of my mind, I'd just try to look at him from a different perspective. See the good things, and focus on them, not the little irritating things that don't really matter. (Like leaving the toilet seat up!)

Upvote 0

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
WOW!

3toraiseup gave lots of great ideas. :thumbsup:

I especially agree with her statement, "My job as wife and mother is to get my husband and children to heaven." I heard that many times during our engagement and marriage preparation period, but didn't fully realize the weight of this statement until we got married.

Things I do (that I did before we were married) are: pray for and with my husband (especially when there is a special need), offer mealtime prayers along with him, discuss the Sunday readings and homily with him, and spend time with him doing things we both enjoy.

Now that we are married, I find myself wanting to please my husband and God by keeping our home as nice/clean as possible and offering my chores to God (I used to let things "slide" once in a while when I lived alone). I also offer our "marital love" as a form of prayer to God.

As crazy as it may sound, it seems the more I pray for our new family, the happier we are.

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
faerieevaH said:
How do you do it? How do you incorporate your faith in your vocation as wife and mother? How do you make it a living part of your daily life?
did some one say mother?
is there news about little adoration H. that your not telling us?

;)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I have a bunch of books for you, Eva...:hug:

My answer as with all things is seek personal holiness, if your heart is intertwined with your Beloved...you can't help but to share His love with those around you!

I also strongly recommend early rising...get up earlier than everyone else in your home, pray, spend quiet time......then begin serving -making breakfast, lunch for your husband, etc.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aaron-Aggie said:
did some one say mother?
is there news about little adoration H. that your not telling us?

;)

*looks left. looks right. Smacks Aaron with a pillow*

Right, Shannon, personal holiness...

Seriously though, I'm reading through and learning a lot! One of the things I want to do when I have children is the evening blessing, but for now I'm concentrating on becoming a good wife! *looks at Aaron.*

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I actually don't see the problem, Eva. Someone with as active a faith life as you should slip into it quite automatically.

But one point is worth repeating. Our vocations as wives/husbands is to get our spouses and kids to Heaven. (Up to a point. In the end, it is of course up to them and them alone.... but over a lifetime, there's a truckload of love and coaching and prayer that you need to contribute...)

Otherwise, what do you mean: "How do you incorporate your faith in your vocation as wife and mother?"? To begin with, it's the other way around... you incorporate your vocation as wife and mother into your faith... and secondly, as I said, I think it sort of just comes automatically!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
faerieevaH said:
*looks left. looks right. Smacks Aaron with a pillow*

Right, Shannon, personal holiness...

Seriously though, I'm reading through and learning a lot! One of the things I want to do when I have children is the evening blessing, but for now I'm concentrating on becoming a good wife! *looks at Aaron.*
:angel:

:) it's me or Zoomom your choice ;)

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ah, Proverbs 31 - great passage to remind us of! Thanks, Colleen. My favourite Women's Lib passage in the Bible. I love quoting it to people who think that a wife's vocation is to bring up the children, clean and cook.

Seriously, it's an awesome ideal to live up to. How do you relate to it, Eva? Others?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.