Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
JW's - pushers of heresy.
Obnoxious about it too.

online - blasting ppl not of the same belief.
yep - even Catholics can do that.
I somehow befriended one woman who ---- is stridently abusive about all non Catholics and makes me crackers.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or just shutting people down. Ganging up with likeminded buddies, throwing darts. Being dishonest. All a form of bullying in the name of the cause.
JW's - pushers of heresy.
Obnoxious about it too.

online - blasting ppl not of the same belief.
yep - even Catholics can do that.
I somehow befriended one woman who ---- is stridently abusive about all non Catholics and makes me crackers.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Or just shutting people down. Ganging up with likeminded buddies, throwing darts. Being dishonest. All a form of bullying in the name of the cause.
so my friend on fb [i know in life] posted how he worried about crime happening to children in bathrooms - how criminals would use it to harm.

well, the more 'left' argued and i was involved...
they berated him - and i said - you have to expect this - it always happens.
it shamed some of them.

calling someone names is being low down.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I knew a lady once that was Word of Faith. I saw a friend of mine try to explain what was going on in her life and was having a hard time. The WoF lady said she had to pray harder, etc. well, she continued to talk and the WoF lady put her hands over her ears and demanded she stop talking about it it she would leave. I was stunned.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Only if you consider me being completely politically incorrect and calling sin, sin. But then you would have to say I bully myself, which is weird. And you would also have to say Christ is a bully, which is funny to me because of the punishment you will receive in the next life. Is being a politically correct goon worth it in this life? Guess we'll find out.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only if you consider me being completely politically incorrect and calling sin, sin. But then you would have to say I bully myself, which is weird. And you would also have to say Christ is a bully, which is funny to me because of the punishment you will receive in the next life. Is being a politically correct goon worth it in this life? Guess we'll find out.
I'm not saying we should not tell the truth and be supportive in struggles. We should always say what is wrong is wrong. But it how we do it.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm not saying we should not tell the truth and be supportive in struggles. We should always say what is wrong is wrong. But it how we do it.
When our example flipped tables and used a whip, I think it would be really hard for us to be a bully.

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In real life and on the Internet, there is a whole lot of "I'm a better Christian than you are" type of behavior, and it's sad to see that those people are so insecure they feel the need to try and one-up other people. I especially enjoy encountering the folks who think they can play "little Johny pastor" and take up the pulpit to try and teach others and 9 times out of 10 these are the same people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time and have no business trying to teach others their views.

I try to think about a person's views on religion along the same lines as a person's naughty bits - we've all got them and I'm glad you're proud of yours but keep them to yourself.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can't use Christ to be bullies. Honesty, depending on the situation, Christ does not require us to be harsh needlessly. We are supposed to bring people in and foster communication. Is there a time to dust off the sandals? Yes. We do not argue people into belief. We are all different. Even the Saints were harsh but we can't discourage others or make them feel hopeless. We are supposed to make them want to know about the faith that is within us. Think of GT and those that you can't reason with. Does it inspire or repel? Me? It repels. Think of Davidnic and his delivery. He seems to be a good example of stating the real teachings of the faith that usually inspires more questions. But I know you are often hard on even yourself so your direct manner does not come across as a bully mindset to me. But I know you as a friend so I see you different than others who don't.
When our example flipped tables and used a whip, I think it would be really hard for us to be a bully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

and the flip side of that coin is refusing to rightfully acknowledge sin, or else turning a blind eye to it so as to be PC.
Seen a lot of that---way too much!
when that happens our only recourse is God, whose judgement might be slow to our thinking, but it is sure in the end.

So if we give fair warning of what we see, then our job is done--the burden is on the other person to see what is and change it while they can, or not.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
and there will come a time when we are all judged, and we'll see that happening again.
Let's hope and pray that we aren't the ones on the receiving end this time.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
We can't use Christ to be bullies. Honesty, depending on the situation, Christ does not require us to be harsh needlessly. We are supposed to bring people in and foster communication. Is there a time to dust off the sandals? Yes. We do not argue people into belief. We are all different. Even the Saints were harsh but we can't discourage others or make them feel hopeless. We are supposed to make them want to know about the faith that is within us. Think of GT and those that you can't reason with. Does it inspire or repel? ............

GT is usually a horse of another color....a field sown with rocks and stones where everyone is fairly sure of what they believe, and not too interested in what others around them believe. a difficult place in which to minister.
Sometimes a few of the rocks can be removed, thankfully, but it is hard work to do so and not for the faint of heart.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
GT is usually a horse of another color....a field sown with rocks and stones where everyone is fairly sure of what they believe, and not too interested in what others around them believe. a difficult place in which to minister.
Sometimes a few of the rocks can be removed, thankfully, but it is hard work to do so and not for the faint of heart.
I call it 'The Pit.' I can't hear these arguments audibly and still want to plug my ears! Lol

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Michie, I figure we're all in this together, and every person who is honestly trying to figure this life (and the next one) out needs to be respected, not demeaned (no matter what they believe), so I try to hold little against anyone, and particularly those who are not of the household of the faith!

This is not to say that one should choose to never be confrontational because the Gospel is offensive to many (or perhaps most) at first, and they need to hear it. But like you said, we need to be careful about how we bring the Good News to others.

The commandments, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself (Matt 19:19b) and, whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them (Matt 7:12), have no exception clauses that I'm aware of :preach:

Neither does the qualifying phrase at the end of perhaps the most important apologetics verse in the entire Bible, which teaches us to:

"Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" ~1 Pet 3:15

And just like food products list their most important ingredients first, I think the Apostle Paul does the same thing for us in the Bible concerning love .. the two most important ingredients being, "patience" and "kindness" (not that the rest of the list of the ingredients of love are not just about as important .. see 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a). How much better would things be around here if everyone of us who is known by the name, "Christian", always approached others with great patience and kindness :) (whether or not the people we are talking to respond to us in kind)!

I think we also need to remember Who it is we are working for, and Who it is we are doing our best to honor and glorify, yes ;) The commands to "rejoice always" and to "pray w/o ceasing" (1 Thess 5:16-17) also come to mind as an excellent ongoing practice in this place :)

Great topic Michie :oldthumbsup: It certainly seems to be one that can never be given enough consideration here!

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - I hope it's ok with you that I joined the conversation, this being OBOB!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Michie, I figure we're all in this together, and every person who is honestly trying to figure this life (and the next one) out needs to be respected, not demeaned (no matter what they believe), so I try to hold little against anyone, and particularly those who are not of the household of the faith!

This is not to say that one should choose to never be confrontational because the Gospel is offensive to many (or perhaps most) at first, and they need to hear it. But like you said, we need to be careful about how we bring the Good News to others.

The commandments, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself (Matt 19:19b) and, whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them (Matt 7:12), have no exception clauses that I'm aware of :preach:

Neither does the qualifying phrase at the end of perhaps the most important apologetics verse in the entire Bible, which teaches us to:

"Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" ~1 Pet 3:15

And just like food products list their most important ingredients first, I think the Apostle Paul does the same thing for us in the Bible concerning love .. the two most important ingredients being, "patience" and "kindness" (not that the rest of the list of the ingredients of love are not just about as important .. see 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a). How much better would things be around here if everyone of us who is known by the name, "Christian", always approached others with great patience and kindness :)

I think we also need to remember Who it is we are working for, and Who it is we are doing our best to honor and glorify, yes ;) The commands to "rejoice always" and to "pray w/o ceasing" (1 Thess 5:16-17) also come to mind as an excellent ongoing practice in this place :)

Great topic Michie :oldthumbsup: It certainly seems to be one that can never be given enough consideration here!

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - I hope it's ok with you that I joined the conversation, this being OBOB!
You are welcome anytime as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the great post! :)

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is a great concern of mine on almost all the forums I post on because it's such an obvious and ongoing problem. How much more attractive must our faith be to the unbelieving world each time we choose, first and foremost, to "act" like the Christians we claim to be (and worse, how many have come to question Christianity when we don't :eek:)

Thanks for the compliment and for the kind invitation as well :)

Blessings to you in Christ! (Numbers 6:24-26; Jude 24-25)

--David

"Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and
slow to anger; for the anger of man does not
achieve the righteousness of God"

Jas 1:19b-20

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hmmm.
It's difficult to judge such people too harshly, as more often than not, the folk who use religion as a weapon genuinely think they're saving people by doing so.
If they don't have good intentions, then it is a lot easier to take it the wrong way.
Generally, I try not to judge a person's intent(I aint no mind reader) and try to be magnanimous regardless.

I will tolerate some prodding and poking that I wouldn't normally from a stranger(poking into my personal beliefs, listen to why I'm wrong and they're right about something, ETC), but I don't give them a free pass to be as rude as they like. If I lose patience, I just try to end the conversation, politely at first, forcefully if that doesn't work. Or if it's online, just stop responding.

I've seen a few anecdotes on the Jehovah's Witnesses, so I will add my own.
My experience with JW's on the doorstep have been pretty positive, honestly. They've always been polite to me. I don't envy anyone who has to go door knocking.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This happens constantly on OBOB and is usually defended either by invoking "political correctness" or by "correcting sinners"

As I have oft time said, Those who claim to be brutally honest are indulging their brutality not honoring their honesty.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟935,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are people, here, other message boards, and IRL, that when they talk (or type), I imagine them sitting up on a throne, looking down their noses at everyone, even at people who agree with them.
They talk down to everyone and they make it sound like its for everyone's own good. I guess the short description would be 'holier than thou.'
I reserve the word 'hate' for things satanic these days, but I despise these people and generally just don't even engage in conversation.

Upvote 0