In a House
✟10,782.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know I've been gone for a while. I was just hired at a local high school to teach CP Biology I. I have witnessed first hand the scientific illiteracy today's new generation is growing up with. It is very sad but maybe I can plant the spark of scientific discovery and critical thinking in a few of their minds.

Did I miss anything good while I was gone?

Reactions: Armoured
S

SimplyNothing

I know I've been gone for a while. I was just hired at a local high school to teach CP Biology I. I have witnessed first hand the scientific illiteracy today's new generation is growing up with. It is very sad but maybe I can plant the spark of scientific discovery and critical thinking in a few of their minds.

Just get excited and passionate about what you're teaching while you teach it, and hopefully it'll catch on.

I found when I was in high school and college, the best professors/teachers are the one's who got excited about what they were teaching. The one's who were truly astounded by what they taught were the one's that inspired passion in me.

Same old, same old from what I can see.

Slug's 1st Law of YECism- Genesis 1-9 must be interpreted literally.
Slug's 2nd Law of YECism- Any other verses can be interpreted liberally to support the 1st Law.
Slug's 3rd Law of YECism- Make up any extra-Biblical claim, no matter how wild, to wave-away evidence in violation of the 1st Law.

"If God sent a wind from space, and blew waters off the surface, for example, the waters would go down. Just as if you take a cup full of water over a sink, and blow hard on it, a lot will go out of the cup. Elementary." -dad
^This statement nullifies his own argument by comparing a "present state" event to a "past state" event!

This is awesome. Made me laugh IRL

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

The Physical&Life Sciences forum has thrown up something new: discussions on the Big Bang, redshift, and (another) giant scientific conspiracy. Good stuff.

Also, kudos on your job, and good luck educating the kids :thumbsup:.

Upvote 0

BananaSlug

Life is an experiment, experience it!
Aug 26, 2005
In a House
✟10,782.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you everybody! Many of the students seem to be interested in what they are learning. Some are really looking forward to the unit on evolution (it is in the SC Standards now). I'll be back this weekend, I'm not going to be able to get on here as often as I was in the past!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is omnipresent so you can't miss Him even if you think you do...
I realize that, but I was assuming he meant: did he miss anything here while he was gone.

He missed God.
... but necroing threads like this is pointless
Because the OP is pointless?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I realize that, but I was assuming he meant: did he miss anything here while he was gone.

He missed God.

Because the OP is pointless?

Pretty sure no deity would touch this forum with a ten foot pole if they could avoid it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pretty sure no deity would touch this forum with a ten foot pole if they could avoid it.
Oh, my.

Are the posters here worse than those of Jesus' time?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hard to say, depends on what you interpret god to be like. If god considers all sins equally offensive, then I'd say possibly.
Jesus came to this earth and died for the sins of all mankind ... including yours.

In doing so, He faced the Sadducees, Pharisees, Romans, and other mockers, including those of His own human family.

He certainly isn't going to shy away from here.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus came to this earth and died for the sins of all mankind ... including yours.

In doing so, He faced the Sadducees, Pharisees, Romans, and other mockers, including those of His own human family.

He certainly isn't going to shy away from here.

Jesus and god aren't the same being to me, even if I considered Jesus to be a part of god I would still considered him to be a much more patient portion of said split being.

Upvote 0

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus and god aren't the same being to me, even if I considered Jesus to be a part of god I would still considered him to be a much more patient portion of said split being.

Well, they are different and the same at the same time. Like if you created a clone of yourself that went out and got a different job and had different experiences. Jesus (God as a human) grew up as a human and experienced humanity while still being God.

So yeah, partially agreeing with your statement.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, they are different and the same at the same time. Like if you created a clone of yourself that went out and got a different job and had different experiences. Jesus (God as a human) grew up as a human and experienced humanity while still being God.

So yeah, partially agreeing with your statement.

Jesus definitely to me is not the entity which flooded the world because it didn't like how it turned out. At least, I don't get that sort of impression from the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then why did you say this?

So even if Jesus was God -- in your opinion, He wouldn't "touch this forum with a ten foot pole if He could avoid it"?

Jesus might, being as patient and persistent as the bible depicts, but the being which was willing to flood the world and restart it like a game of SIMs wouldn't.

Upvote 0