Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have no need for men to teach us as scripture tells us. For it is the anointing (sic) in us that teaches us all things. This would be the Holy Spirit.

We seem to be heading off-topic, however Scripture itself tells us to obey our elders. It also shows the establishment of a church hierarchy
Deacons
1 Timothy 3:10
And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
1 Timothy 3:13
For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Priests
1 Timothy 4:14
Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
Presbytery
4244 presbuterion pres-boo-ter'-ee-on neuter of a presumed derivative of 4245; the order of elders, i.e. (specially), Israelite Sanhedrin or Christian "presbytery":--(estate of) elder(-s), presbytery.
Strong’s Lexicon
Strong's Greek Lexicon Search Results

Bishops
1 Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Titus 1:7
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
1 Peter 2:25
For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Simple ‘belief’ in God is not sufficient.
Matthew 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
(you have to DO right)

"For "the devils also believe and tremble," as the Scripture* tells us."Augustine - Homily X
on John; 1 JOHN V. 1–3

* - referring to James 2:19

Upvote 0
We seem to be heading off-topic, however Scripture itself tells us to obey our elders. It also shows the establishment of a church hierarchy
Deacons
1 Timothy 3:10
And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
1 Timothy 3:13
For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Priests
1 Timothy 4:14
Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
Presbytery
4244 presbuterion pres-boo-ter'-ee-on neuter of a presumed derivative of 4245; the order of elders, i.e. (specially), Israelite Sanhedrin or Christian "presbytery":--(estate of) elder(-s), presbytery.
Strong’s Lexicon
Strong's Greek Lexicon Search Results

Bishops
1 Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Titus 1:7
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
1 Peter 2:25
For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Simple ‘belief’ in God is not sufficient.
Matthew 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
(you have to DO right)

"For "the devils also believe and tremble," as the Scripture* tells us."Augustine - Homily X
on John; 1 JOHN V. 1–3

* - referring to James 2:19
It is not a hiearchy but different gifts and callings of God. We are to submit one to another in Christ. Never are we told that one man will lord it over another man. :) So therefore the teacher of truth is the Holy Spirit. He is the one that quickens Gods truth to our spirits or hearts and teaches all things. :)

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is not a hiearchy but different gifts and callings of God. We are to submit one to another in Christ. Never are we told that one man will lord it over another man.
Depends what you mean by 'lord it over'. Paul himself has authority to teach. He immediately becomes a teacher, his audience his students. He directs them in how to live and condemns their bad practices.

He calls people to obey their elders.

And the Apostles made people to obey...
Acts 16:4
As they traveled from town to town, they delivered the decisions reached by the apostles and elders in Jerusalem for the people to obey.

In Acts people gave their money to the Apostles to distribute and when some lied about this the Apostles had the authority over them, that Ananias died

You must have a different Bible ;)

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He still teaches us today through the words that he has written. The Holy Spirit He quickens the truth to our heart through the teaching of God through the written scriptures..

Thanks for not directly addressing what I wrote :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Depends what you mean by 'lord it over'. Paul himself has authority to teach. He immediately becomes a teacher, his audience his students. He directs them in how to live and condemns their bad practices.

He calls people to obey their elders.

And the Apostles made people to obey...
Acts 16:4
As they traveled from town to town, they delivered the decisions reached by the apostles and elders in Jerusalem for the people to obey.

In Acts people gave their money to the Apostles to distribute and when some lied about this the Apostles had the authority over them, that Ananias died

You must have a different Bible ;)
The same Spirit that taught these Apostles and lead them leads the people of God today. :) For He is eternal and He shall never leave us nor forsake us.. Men they leaved us. They pass away and scriptures shows us they wither and fade away. This is why the authority is not the men themselves but the word of God and God Himself. When it comes to what happened with Ananias that was God at work.. Not the Apostles. For they did not lie to the Apostles if you will see they Lied to the HOLY SPIRIT.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The same Spirit that taught these Apostles and lead them leads the people of God today. :) For He is eternal and He shall never leave us nor forsake us.. Men they leaved us. They pass away and scriptures shows us they wither and fade away. This is why the authority is not the men themselves but the word of God and God Himself. When it comes to what happened with Ananias that was God at work.. Not the Apostles. For they did not lie to the Apostles if you will see they Lied to the HOLY SPIRIT.

that's not what the holy spirit told me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All one has to do is check what they hear with the full counsel of the written scriptures.

That's exactly what she's done. What I do. What you do. Yet we all come to different conclusions. I am urging you yet again to think about this and why you believe your version of truth is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
That's exactly what she's done. What I do. What you do. Yet we all come to different conclusions. I am urging you yet again to think about this and why you believe your version of truth is true.
1Co 2:2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
1Co 2:3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling,
1Co 2:4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
1Co 2:5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
1Co 2:6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away;
1Co 2:7 but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory;
1Co 2:8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory;
1Co 2:9 but just as it is written, "THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."
1Co 2:10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God.
1Co 2:11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
1Co 2:13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
1Co 2:14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
1Co 2:15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
1Co 2:16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.