Becoming a catechumen tomorrow: prayers please.

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this may be too personal to share, but if you feel comfortable telling - do you foresee problems with your family by this choice? And what lead you to deciding to becoming a catechumen?
Yes, I foresee problems with my family. Both my family and my wife's family are devout Mormon, and I doubt they will be happy about me switching teams.

Put simply, I decided to become a catechumen because I believe the Orthodox faith is the most true expression of Christianity. I initially intended to become a Roman Catholic, but as I have continued through graduate school in early Christian history, I see that the early church looked more like Orthodoxy than Roman Catholicism. That said, I still have a great deal of respect for my Catholic brothers and sisters.

Very Interesting.

As one who himself came into the Eastern Church 12 years ago, I am

:clap::amen::clap::amen::clap::amen:

for you.
But your profile says you are Catholic.

Might I ask from what religious tradition you are moving?
I was raised Mormon, finally left when I was 21 or so, spent a year as an Episcopalian, a few years in and out of RCIA, and now I am headed home :)

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I foresee problems with my family. Both my family and my wife's family are devout Mormon, and I doubt they will be happy about me switching teams.

Put simply, I decided to become a catechumen because I believe the Orthodox faith is the most true expression of Christianity. I initially intended to become a Roman Catholic, but as I have continued through graduate school in early Christian history, I see that the early church looked more like Orthodoxy than Roman Catholicism. That said, I still have a great deal of respect for my Catholic brothers and sisters.

But your profile says you are Catholic.

I was raised Mormon, finally left when I was 21 or so, spent a year as an Episcopalian, a few years in and out of RCIA, and now I am headed home :)

Mormon?????!!!! :crossrc:

WOW!!!

That's a long way from the truth of the Orthodox faith.

God bless you on your journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will offer some free advice, and it is worth exactly what you are paying...do not talk much of your conversion with your wife or your family. discuss it with you Spiritual Father and perhaps with some parishioners who you can trust. Be exactly who you have always been, and know that what this change encumbers you with is the need to pray not only for yourself but for those in your family, especially your wife, children, and so on. Lead by example and not by word, and be a humble as you can imagine and more. Try to, as St Seraphim has said, "Acquire a peaceful countenance" so those around you can be saved. If your journey is true and you do not push them, when it is right they will come along. If they never do in this lifetime, know that your prayers will have benefited them and pray that God's mercy will find you together in His Kingdom.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, everyone, for your prayers. I have some slightly unfortunate news. I was not made a catechumen because my presbyter left to California without letting me know:) However, he will be back this Sunday.

ah, bummer. continued prayers dude!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums