Because Christ died for us, it shows he thought we are worthy

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Good day, I hold the view, that because Christ was obedient to the Father in Heaven to die for us, that he counted us worthy of the effort.

Some think the work made us worthy, but I am sure that Christ considered his friends worth dying for. He loved us and held us precious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Lamb
G

gideons300

Good day, I hold the view, that because Christ was obedient to the Father in Heaven to die for us, that he counted us worthy of the effort.

Some think the work made us worthy, but I am sure that Christ considered his friends worth dying for. He loved us and hold us precious.

I think it just the opposite. It was because we were unworthy that He died for us. He died for the sins of the whole world, and is not willing that any should perish. But the scriptures give no doubt that those deemed worthy are those who have responded to His grace and have walked in the light as He is in the light. Listen to what Jesus says to the church at Sardis:

" And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy."

How this conflicts with what we have all been taught, that somehow now, grace causes God to wink at our continued sins yet cast others doing the very same things into an eternal hell. How many there are who think repentance is no longer for the church. We draw near Him with our lips, but do we really WANT to obey Him in all things? Are we really hungering and thirsting after His righteousness as well as His forgiveness? Do we really hate sin and our old nature that cannot please Him?

How do we walk worthy of God? We are not satisfied with salvation alone. We seek His holiness, His righteousness IN us so that we can please Him. It is not working for our salvation. It is simply a depth of love that says "What would you have me to do Lord". When we are beoken of all self confidence and truly hate our fleshly nature, seeing it a hinderance to truly walking pleasing to our God, it is then that we can do the one thing that will open up the door to a Holy walk.... believing ALL of His promises to us and then arming ourselves with them

May God open our eyes to the truth that we CAN be caused to obey Him if we trust that He does not lie and that His promises are yea and amen.

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree gideon... The scriptures state Christ died for us while we were still sinners. No sinner is worthy of any grace of God. Shoot, we as believers are not worthy of God's grace apart from the sacrifice of Christ. It's all about him and his demonstration of love for us. Not because we are worthy, but because he is gracious.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some think the work made us worthy, but I am sure that Christ considered his friends worth dying for. He loved us and hold us precious.

Actually, the Bible says that Christ died for us in spite of our unworthiness, not because we were in any way "worthy" or had any merits of our own.

Essentially, what you're saying is that Christ died for good men, which is precisely the opposite of what Romans 5 says.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Worth" and "value" are two separate things. I have a housefull of items that are very valuable to me, but would be worthless to anyone else. If my house were on fire, I might well risk injury to rescue some of them.

A sinners, we may have been "unworthy," but that does not mean to God we were not valuable.

Upvote 0

Chris12

Sep 24, 2014
✟1,003.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
gideons300

Amen!

I will also say, that it Glorifies HIM to save those who are unworthy. It shows HIM in HIS perfection, it shows what HE really IS! We could muse on all this hours and hours and days upon days and never be done finding words of praise which describe HIM! The language of men would give out before we would be done describing HIM!

It shows also HIS love for HIS creation! All praise be to GOD in the highest!

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I see the difference between worth and value. But I dissolve the divide. God loves us and holds us dear. But he has another love for those who love and obey him, he sups with them in their houses. Rev 3:20. John 15:5-17.

We cannot earn God's love. We cannot lessen or increase the love God has for us as when we are babies, not even by the time we are 120 years old. But we can become God's friends.

So I feel sure that breath of God in us and our image and likeness is loved and is valuable to God, worth a lot to him. The worth doesn't change from 1 to 120 years of age. Neither changed by sin or good works. As Paul said, neither death nor life nor things that are now nor things that are to come can separate us from the love of God.

Worthiness can be understood as the strength of foundation for a commission that takes enduring faith and courage.

God looks for the humble ones to show himself strong through. Worthiness would begin if we found ourselves in God, rather than on our talents or flesh... To begin with, we have worth as babies. Later we have worth for commissions that is built in us.

Grace comes from God's love for us and not love from God's grace.

As a Catholic as others were too, according to a clergymen friend, I was beset with a sense of unworthiness. In each mass praying in unison, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed." Now it is worded, "Lord, I am not worthy that you come under my roof"...

I decided after judging, after more than ten years, that Christ died for such as Peter, and it shows what he thinks I am worth.

Jesus said love your neighbour as you love yourself, and love one another as I have loved you. He must do it himself. Who am I that God would love me as himself? David in his Psalms pondered God's interest in him.

God seems to have two sides. He knows the end from the beginning, in eternity he rules. Yet he regretted making the world just before Noah's day. And was angry with Moses and came at him to kill him, and that was relieved by his wife and Moses was then seen to be key in God's plan and special love.

Like emotions in the present and a mind in eternity. Ambivalence.

So we are worth something at birth and that does not change. Because he loves us unaltered. Or he loves us because our worth remains unaltered. But we can prove worthy later of rewards and trusts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If God finds something valuable, who are we to disagree? God's opinion is absolute!
If we find a sinner unworthy to die for, we must remember it is human nature, not glorious and truly right. God is not like us in weighing things, he is gracious. Even our natural fathers will stand by a beloved son charged with something. God is much more loving than us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Luke 12:24 is a verse with Jesus telling us we are worth much more than the birds he feeds and goes on to tell us it pleases the Father to give us the kingdom.

The birds are worth their worms and sunlight, we are provided the Kingdom with Jesus's precious and powerful blood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
From Merriam Webster's Dictionary, you'll note the overlap of meanings of worth and value.

http://www.merriam-webster.com
worth
noun
: an amount of something that has a specified value, that lasts for a specified length of time, etc.

: the amount of money that something is worth

: usefulness or importance

Full Definition of WORTH
a : monetary value <farmhouse and lands of little worth>

b : the equivalent of a specified amount or figure <a dollar's worth of gas>
: the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held <a literary heritage of great worth>
a : moral or personal value <trying to teach human worth>

b : merit, excellence <a field in which we have proved our worth>
: wealth, riches
See worth defined for English-language learners
Examples of WORTH
  1. A diamond's worth is determined partly by its cut and clarity.
  2. The worth of the stocks has increased.
  3. The furniture was of little worth since it was in such bad condition.
  4. He has proved his worth to the team.
  5. The book has proved its worth by saving me hundreds of dollars.

Synonyms
account, merit, valuation, value

Worth.
Preposition.

—used to indicate the value of something

: having money and possessions equal in value to (an amount)

: good, valuable, or important enough for (something) : deserving of (something)

Full Definition of WORTH
a : equal in value to

b : having assets or income equal to
: deserving of <well worth the effort>
worth one's salt
:
of substantial or significant value or merit

Value:
: the amount of money that something is worth : the price or cost of something

: something that can be bought for a low or fair price

: usefulness or importance

: relative worth, utility, or importance <a good value at the price> <the value of base stealing in baseball> <had nothing of value to say>

Here is Jesus use of the word "worth" in Matthew 10:6-15. YLT.
6and be going rather unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7‘And, going on, proclaim saying that, the reign of the heavens hath come nigh; 8infirm ones be healing, lepers be cleansing, dead be raising, demons be casting out — freely ye did receive, freely give. 9‘Provide not gold, nor silver, nor brass in your girdles, 10nor scrip for the way, nor two coats, nor sandals, nor staff — for the workman is worthy of his nourishment. 11‘And into whatever city or village ye may enter, inquire ye who in it is worthy, and there abide, till ye may go forth. 12And coming to the house salute it, 13and if indeed the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it; and if it be not worthy, let your peace turn back to you. 14‘And whoever may not receive you nor hear your words, coming forth from that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet, 15verily I say to you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.

Strong's Numbers 514, Axios, meaning weight, worth, worthy. From Biblehub.com

Here again, Jesus mentions worth and nourishment together with the Kingdom. But further here uses the word Axios to refer to character. And this passage is about the coming of the Kingdom eventually to the human spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you on this GoldenKingGaze. For the greater part of my life (about 22-23 years out of 25) I had it pounded into my head that we were worth nothing to God, that God could do His work without us and who were we, what importance did we have? God didn't need us, so on and so forth. All this, raised by parents who believed this mentality & preached it. I grew up depressed, lonely, and suicidal (knowledge mostly between me & God alone). Recently, within the past year or so, He has been helping me to see that He deeply loves each and every one of us. God does not create anything without worth, it is impossible for Him to create anything that is unworthy. Our actions are unworthy at times, yes, when our actions lack usefulness or importance to the good of someone else or ourselves. However, we ourselves are not unworthy. If we were unworthy, why on earth would Jesus have bothered to leave Heaven and come be brutalized & murdered to graft us into Himself (the vine)? This shows how very much he loved us, how very much He counts us as worthy. He wants to hold us in His arms and draw us near to Him so He can heal our every wound, because we are worthy. He wants us to treat others with the same love He has for us, because we are worthy. We are talking about a God who would rather warn us countless times that what we are doing is wrong & that we should turn back to Him and follow His ways rather than letting the judgment hand fall upon us. We are talking about a God who is not willing that ANY should perish, who is not willing that ANY should spend eternity away from Him. When we continue to hold and endorse the idea that we are unworthy, we miss the concept of the Father's love for us and when we carry that sense of no worth, we cannot understand why God loves us. God loves us because ALL THINGS He creates have usefulness and importance (worth) and He loves us because we emanated from Him, He loves us because He has created us in His image and He crafts each and every one of us with individual personalities and with individual jobs to do upon the face of this earth that He has created for us to be stewards of. This is love, that He has made everyone of us with worth (usefulness and importance). So yes, we are worth something, yes, we are worthy, and the sooner we understand this, the sooner we will be able to press in further to that love He has for us.
Hearing this testimony helps to give a better idea of the Father's boundless (without end!) love for us.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Some think the work made us worthy, but I am sure that Christ considered his friends worth dying for. He loved us and held us precious.
We might say that God considered us worth saving. That's not the same as saying that we were worthy of salvation just as we stood prior to Christ's sacrifice.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
From before we existed we must have been worth something to God for him to make us in order. And worth something to save from disorder. Jesus said "to whom much is given, much is expected", and our race has the cross. Before Adam fell there was glory, but we have more than Adam and much should come from Jesus' precious blood in us.

At the cross were two criminals, I am persuaded by Ps Jentzyn Franklin that the thief represented Adam and our race, a thief who humbled humbled himself and prayed. The Murderer, as one like Satan, challenged Jesus. Only the thief was saved. Both worth considering, but the thief was worth the sacrifice of Jesus.

Jesus love for you never changes, nor does your worth. As from before we existed. The Father counts every loss we suffer, even mere hair loss. And the father remembers us. I think death and what can happen to people in Satan's hands. But Paul said " I am persuaded that neither death nor life nor angels principalities nor powers, nor things that are now nor things that are to come can separate us from the love of God."

Being makes us loved. Character makes us loved on top of that. "Jacob I loved Esau I hated." And from John, "If you stay in my Father's love"...

How we respond to Jesus' blood is crucial, to how we turn, to bearing fruit, to character change and what we become in the Heavens. We have intrinsic worth, we become character rich.

Christ' cross reveals Adam's worth as it was when he was a lad.

So there is God's love, then breath and being, sin, salvation, holiness and glorification. It is soteriology.

Before and in being, in God's image and likeness, is an attraction for God to love us as himself according to his own command. There is worth in being.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If Jesus asked you, "son, are you worthy to receive me?" would you draw back or step forward?

In the Catholic mass I would say in unison, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed." The church modernised the words to “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.”

But the old wording was heavy on me. It did not give me peace.

One is good if like the Centurion he is healed without a touch. Others needed the laying on of hands for minutes, due to lack of faith in "the carpenter's son". Imagine if the Centurion had hands laid on him!

But yes, there are worthy beings and worthy characters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
In our charismatic circles, there are teachings and preachings on Jesus' powerful blood. "Jesus' blood makes your hearts clean"...

If a true teaching comes perhaps one on one, and a person is invited to receive the blood of the lamb, the need is there and it is quiet... one can say "no I am not worthy", or "yes, I am worthy", or simply "I accept Jesus powerful blood."

Jesus already prepared it and considered it worth trying. But if one refuses, even humbly, it was was for some a wasted effort and the cross work only makes people nicer. But they could even be lost. For that other part of worthiness to be, we need to consider ourselves to be the ones who step forward and take grace from God, which then changes us more towards Christ likeness and being able to stand before the Lord without fear and with confident reverence, at judgement time.

We must be ready for Jesus return. Not coarse hearted because of life's cares, debauchery or drunkenness. Or we could be trapped. And we could be to weak to stand before Jesus. From Luke 21:34

Our hearts are good earth, Jesus' blood part of the seed, it may not be worthwhile if there is no fruit. The more people who bear fruit, the more worthwhile the cost of the cross. Jesus gains more than he lost.

Grace is like a loan. We don't deserve or earn it, but later we actually are a kind of presence which deserves good things instead of what Jesus took from us at Calvary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I believe there is a relationship between self esteem and self worth, morals and morale, and we must love ourselves to set love upon others and upon Jesus, if we are to be whole hearted and strong. False humility and there is feebleness. Self love, self worth, confidence then there is faith and love and obedience possible.

To ask for the blessing of the Father in Heaven, his love pouring into you in waves, you need to be humble about how much love you have. Such as half heart, or cold. But you need to know you only need be hungry, and he will fill you. Do you need to prove worthy of the responsibility? I think it is what makes us worthy of commission... Romans 5:5. The answer to false humility, and being luke warm.

Upvote 0