Beating fear.

PigeonzS

Dec 26, 2009
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I been through a lot in my life.. Some of the things I had experienced in my life wasn't easy and because of that I grew up with depression. Depression really killed my chances of making friends, understanding god, enjoying life. My father was a raging alcoholic..so through out the years I had to deal with the beatings he gave me and my mom.. when I finally was old enough to defend my mother and myself he started to stop. One day I remember asking him to come to my room..I cried in front of him and begged him to stop drinking how his drinking effected my life..He did but it wasn't easy.. When he started to change for the better I began to change for the worst. I remember when he would come into my room to try and talk to me and I would just tell him to get out. I almost acted like an enemy to him i guess it was because of everything I endured in the past that I am letting it out like this towards him. I dropped out of school started hanging out late and going to sleep around 5am everyday. One day I get a knock from the door and I open it only to have a police officer tell me that my father has commited suicide.. the moment those words came out of his mouth it felt like someone has gotten a sledge hammer and bashed me in the heart..After his death I became sick with the way I was. I knew I had to change so I started learning about depression (without the use of medication) I learned that depression cannot be diognosed in any medical way and that most of it was in your head..after months of struggle and relapse and more horrible emotions I finally started to noticed that I beat it. I changed my life for the better but still had more to learn since I had more emotions I had to beat..I ended up beating my anxiety attacks I used to have and also my shyness..Now I have friends who come to me for advice now. Right now I am struggling with something called Fear. I had Fear for a very long time and in the prayer thread I wrote about my mother being in the hospital because they think they may have found cancer but it's not certain until they have her tested today. Fear is really killing me right now but my mother made me promise her to be strong.. now As with everything i studied for in the past and beat this is one of the hardest emotions to beat especially when my mother is ill..My mother is very strong and I want to be as strong as her in life but I feel so weak right now emotionally..I want to know how God feels about people with fear...does he want someone to be strong? I'm so confused right now and desperate for help..It would make my life much more easier if I knew what God see's in the weak who fear and what he really want's us to be like. I hope you can pray for my mothers recovery and my fight with fear. Thank you all and I'm sorry if I made this post too long. :o

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, sorry to hear about your mom's pre-diagnosis. That's scary. A lot of people have operable cancer, or are able to beat it with chemo. Let's hope she is one of them.

You went through a lot with your dad, and his death must have sent your head in twenty directions. But it's great that you have been able to manage the depression! You can help a lot of people with that knowledge and experience.

The Bible speaks of fear as the opposite of love. That is, with the pure and perfect love of God, the fear can be cast out. It is not bravery, mustering strength, fixing conditions, or fighting back that removes fear. Just love.

That sounds vague. But picture a day when you're worried about running into a bully. If you extend kindness to him, he (she) might turn around and be kind back.

Or picture walking by yourself in an alley at night. Praying for God to protect you, and resting in the trust that He will, is a connection of love between Him and you.

The emotion of fear puts our bodies into fight/flight mode. Toxins are released that get us moving, as though we had to run from a raging bear. You have probably studied this. If we are continually worried, then we are continually barraged with our own toxins.

That wears down our immune response, and tires us out.

Doctors and scientists now say that we might be able to prevent our own cancers from growing, and heart ailments, if we find ways to calm ourselves and laugh more. These encourage the body to repair itself.

When he started to change for the better I began to change for the worst
You two had a dynamic going, where you always knew that you had one up on him. When he started improving, you had to admit that he was fairly decent, and he might have even thrown cues at you that implied he suddenly deserved complete respect. But his state could change any day, so trust takes time.

Upvote 0

PigeonzS

Dec 26, 2009
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Heron thank you for those words...you do not know how much it just effected me.. I feel like a ton of bricks were raised from my back and I will follow those words and believe that the lord will always be on my side and before I feel fear or any negative thoughts.. I will come back here and read the reply you gave me again to remind myself that I need to pray more whenever I feel at my worst. Thank you so much and God bless.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow, thanks. There are lots of people on here who will give comfort and advice, so come back to watch your thread grow!

Your situation with your dad reminded me of some other people who had changed in my life. When the changed, I was suddenly expected to like them. Being maturely loving is one thing, but enjoying them is another. It's hard when he might not have even apologized for all those years. Alcoholics tend to not even know what they were doing when they were so offensive -- the brain does not retain it all.

Upvote 0

YoDude

Feb 25, 2010
Texas
✟7,934.00
Faith
Christian
That is a rough story. Your 'fear' sounds like anxiety to me, I believe anxiety is pretty dangerous and can lead to panic attacks, you should research this thoroughly so you know the symptoms and how it can be addressed. But, sounds to me like you are a lot stronger than you think you are, you have made it this far, you demonstrated the ability to recover and improve, and even your friends are attracted to your strength.

Your mom sounds like a beautiful person, her main concern is your well being, even while she is sick. Many refer to this passage for understanding suffering, 'No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.'
1 Corinthians 10:13

I am sure you are familiar with that passage. Anyway, your mind, body, and spirit are under attack, what a tough beginning in life. These experiences will be a part of you forever now, but you can have a good life in the future. My best friend's father committed suicide while we were in high school, he drank too much and succumbed to the pressures of this life. This friend of mine made it through, finished college, and has a nice family and life of his own now. Take life one day at a time, research your fear issues, see your future, fight for it, pray, meditate, and I believe you will shine to the world with how you did not give up.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0