Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
thinking about baptist churches, literally, is the point of difference all baptist churches have a pool where you can be baptised (fully immersed?)

Going to a non baptist church, I do wonder where there pool is. It seems other churches dont really have them or only like a tiny basin for sprinkling.

Also, do you ever do foot washing in your church?

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Many baptismals (pools) are concealed on or behind the stage. Baptists are not the only ones who adhere to full submersion, though they may be the only ones who strictly adhere to it. I grew up in an Assemblies of God church, where I was baptized by immersion at the age of four in a baptismal that was only made visible during baptisms, otherwise being hidden by two sliding doors resembling sections of the wall.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The baptist churches I've been to had their pools under the pulpit. They are covered up when not in use.

Although I think they ought to be made more visible. Like, I don't know..just have a water feature or spa lol. But I suppose maintanence costs.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Other churches I've heard go to a river or have it somewhere else. I've not seen any adult baptism in presy churches either, and I was attending for about 2 years. They did have one infant sprinkling, and it was just a little bit of water on the forehead.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2007
✟8,525.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The baptist churches I've been to had their pools under the pulpit. They are covered up when not in use.

I have never heard of or seen this before. Every Baptist church I have ever gone into had their baptismal pool behind the stage where the choir sings.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
its sort of in front under the pulpit, or I would say, before it. Its kind of built in and is covered when not in use so it's part of the floor.

You can walk on top of it. I guess you could call it a 'stage' but I call it a pulpit. My baptist church is about 60 years old its not one of those really really old ones with the traditional architecture.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The church I used to go to had a pool to the side. From the back stage you went into a room where you stepped down into the water then wadded around the pool hallway into the front baptismal, which was level with the front row. All the others were behind the choir.

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Little bit of water is fine
You need more than a bit of water to be baptised, since the word means "to immerse". My Church has one behind the pulpit and is normally empty until someone is going to get baptised.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Adult baptism in the Presbyterian church is done by sprinkling, just like with infants.

I have seen baptismal pools in Disciples of Christ churches also, and Mormon churches (yes, I know they aren't Christian).

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Adult baptism in the Presbyterian church is done by sprinkling, just like with infants.

I have seen baptismal pools in Disciples of Christ churches also, and Mormon churches (yes, I know they aren't Christian).

Or pouring.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
And now we have 3 levels of legalism. Perhaps the longer the immersee holds thier breath, the better they get saved. I can hold my breath for 2 minutes. Does that mean I get 200 pounds of gold in heaven?
Yes.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And now we have 3 levels of legalism. Perhaps the longer the immersee holds thier breath, the better they get saved. I can hold my breath for 2 minutes. Does that mean I get 200 pounds of gold in heaven?

No, but I'd like to make you try. In fact, I might push for four minutes and hold a revival afterward. You still wouldn't get the eternal reward, but the rest of us would enjoy baptizing you, repeatedly.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I guess I'd better practice holding my breath for 4 minutes and work harder for my salvation. Works works works

If you had been compelled to take a shower or bath every day just for your own benefit, then I'm sure you would be just fine with it, but if you have to do it just once in your life for God it's just horrible legalism. It's lucky the internet doesn't permit me to find out I'm wrong about that first part.

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Can you rephrase that? Let's hope you agree that any mode of baptism at any age is from the bible. I'm just pointing out that immersion only isn't in the bible.
Yes it does matter who we are Baptised since it is a picture of Christ's death. He was in the grave for 3 days, not just had a bit of dirt sprinkled or poured on him, but he was fully immersed in the grave. Plus the Greek word we tranlate as "baptise" simply means "to immerse". You can't change the meaning of the Greek word. Every time we see someone being baptised in the Bible we see a big body of water to do that.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It means to dip.

Dipping is different from sprinkling.
Eg you dip your chips into dip. The act of dipping is a different from sprinkling.

Sprinkling would be like putting salt on your chips. Anyway... Baptist churches all have pools not sprinkler attachments and hoses.

I think it would be weird to be sprinkled as to me that doesnt represent being buried and thoroughly washed clean. It would be more like a rinse.

All the israelites knew what baptism meant. They had mikvah, and strict rules about it. It wasnt a shower..it was full immersion. They still have them in orthodox communities.

Upvote 0