Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, it just means that I won't encourage your straw-man arguments by dignifying them with an answer. We both know what game you are trying to play, and I'm not going to fall for it. (You're about 40 years too late to get me with that one.)
The truth of Christ is always timely, I think you cannot defend your assertions.

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It might be helpful to check the use of "pais" (servant) in Scripture to see how it is used, especially Matthew 12:18 & Luke 2:43 where it refers to Jesus.
I would recommend that to Brendan, thanks. I have researched it, and it means servant, sometimes child - although, in this context, "servant" is more appropriate. Thanks for your comment though.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I support ecumenical reconciliation, and thus find myself distressed when non-Orthodox churches erect barriers which are quite nearly insurmountable to the process of eventual reunion with us.

Am I reading this statement correct, that all Christians have to change to your teaching? "nearly insurmountable to the process of eventual reunion with us."

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Am I reading this statement correct, that all Christians have to change to your teaching? "nearly insurmountable to the process of eventual reunion with us."
No, and can't claim special knowledge of what Paul meant. In context he is clearly saying that allowing openly unrepentant sinners as leaders of our Churches (as this DC Church has done) is creating a nearly insurmountable barrier for them coming into a reunion of all of us (believers).

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, and can't claim special knowledge of what Paul meant. In context he is clearly saying that allowing openly unrepentant sinners as leaders of our Churches (as this DC Church has done) is creating a nearly insurmountable barrier for them coming into a reunion of all of us (believers).

Thanks for the clarification.

They created the barrier and I am sure that others will flock to them with the exception of those that stay true to the word of God.
I could not fellowship with them knowing that they openly spit in the eye of the Lord. That is what Satan does not True Christians.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the clarification.

They created the barrier and I am sure that others will flock to them with the exception of those that stay true to the word of God.
I could not fellowship with them knowing that they openly spit in the eye of the Lord. That is what Satan does not True Christians.
Anyone sinning is spitting "in the eye of the Lord". I would stop short of claiming they are not Christian. It is the openly unrepentant part I have trouble with and appearing to be supporting someone in their open un-repentance.
I agree supporting openly unrepentant sinners by endorsing them to lead Christians certainly does not sound like something we aught to be doing.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would suggest that you talk to Christ. He said that homosexuals would not go to heaven.

And I suggest that YOU talk to Christ, he said the same thing about prideful people!

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Presumably most married same sex couples are engaging in sinful acts as a part of that relationship. As we have no mention of celibacy in this instance, that would be a safe assumption for even a casual observer.

How many times have I asked you NOT to assume anything? Just because there is no mention of celibacy, do you KNOW it is not the case? You can't.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The arguments equating not eating shellfish, the dietary restrictions, as akin to homosexuality.

Sin is sin. Breaking ONE law is the same as breaking another. It is sin!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And I suggest that YOU talk to Christ, he said the same thing about prideful people!

Funny thing about a mirror which the Law is you see what sin looks like. Sin is the transgression of the Law.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are you suggesting telling someone the truth of the Lord is not love, Brendan? I suggest you read the Great Commission again.

You MAY call me Fr. Brendan or Monk Brendan. You MAY NOT call me Brendan, without one or the other.

Whether you like it or not, sinner or not, I am a Rassaphore Monk, tonsured by Bp. Basil in 2001. As you call yourself Mrs. PGL, I have never called you just PGL. Please give me the same courtesy.

And I know the Great Commission. But try this one on for size. If you are a notorious sinner, in that you carry yourself around in a prideful manner, how are you going to win people to Christ. They won't even listen to you.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you've never held on to ONE sin in all your life? Not even a little bit unrepentant? Maybe, for instance, you have to much pride in how holy you are?
So if the "loving" of a Church could be demonstrated by hiring an openly adulteress Pastor, (a Church you would apparently leave because of that act), would flying a banner on that Church that symbolizes the Pastor's choice of lifestyle be OK?

Say an Ashley Madison banner flying proudly from the Church entrance or an ad in the bulletin for Cheating hookups.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ask the authors. Gallop poles are accurate - unless one wants to deceive people

The Washington Post doesn't always report Gallup polls. And this poll was done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, not the Gallup organization.

But I still don't have the raw data. If you can post the raw data on the study--how many people, where the sample was collected, how the sample was collected, what questions were asked and how, then I can make an objective statement about your contention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What silliness are trying to push now Brendan?

No silliness. If there was no romance in your courtship with Mr. PGL, then you never even knew him before your wedding--This means that someone arranged your marriage.

Romance is defined thus by the Free Dictionary
a.
A love affair: His romance with her lasted only a month.
b. Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love: They kept the romance alive in their marriage for 35 years.
c. A strong, sometimes short-lived attachment, fascination, or enthusiasm for something: a childhood romance with the sea.
2. A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful: "These fine old guns often have a romance clinging to them" (Richard Jeffries).
a.
A long medieval narrative in prose or verse that tells of the adventures and heroic exploits of chivalric heroes: an Arthurian romance.
b. A long fictitious tale of heroes and extraordinary or mysterious events, usually set in a distant time or place.
c. The class of literature constituted by such tales.
a.
An artistic work, such as a novel, story, or film, that deals with sexual love, especially in an idealized form.
b. The class or style of such works.
5. A fictitiously embellished account or explanation: We have been given speculation and romance instead of the facts.
6. Music A lyrical, tender, usually sentimental song or short instrumental piece.
7. Romance The Romance languages.​

There is only ONE definition that includes sex, and that is a form of literature.

Romance is a feeling, an emotion as in:b. Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love: They kept the romance alive in their marriage for 35 years.

Do try to keep up with the times.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Your church preaches adhering to dietary law above the Council of Jerusalem?

NO! In case you haven't been paying attention, read my description, to the left.

I am a Melkite Catholic. That is, I follow the Byzantine Tradition, I belong to a group of Christian Arabs, and I am in Communion with Rome through the Patriarch of Antioch. Also, because of my poor health, I have been forbidden to fast.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
NO! In case you haven't been paying attention, read my description, to the left.

I am a Melkite Catholic. That is, I follow the Byzantine Tradition, I belong to a group of Christian Arabs, and I am in Communion with Rome through the Patriarch of Antioch. Also, because of my poor health, I have been forbidden to fast.

redleghunter said:

I am sure he meant this reply for me.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus himself tells us the purpose for meeting with sinners.

Oh! How wonderful to be completely surrounded by loving Christians at all times, never having to go out and mix with sinners, except for witnessing to them.:oldthumbsup:

Okay, forgive the sarcasm, but Christians are out and about, meeting sinners all the time. If all you can do is hit people over the head with the Word, and beat them into submission, then there aren't going to be many people listening to you.:amen:

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
redleghunter said:

I am sure he meant this reply for me.

Whoever wants to may read this, but the path goes back to redleghunter.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.