Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
"In Baltimore, Maryland, Robert W. Coleman Elementary is taking a new and holistic approach to how it disciplines students. Rather than punishing them, or sending them off to the principal’s office, they are directed toward “the mindful moment room.” Here, misbehaving students meditate and wind down.

The policy has been in place for more than a year, and the administrators have noticed that no suspensions have been reported throughout that time."
http://www.collective-evolution.com...iplined-with-meditation-instead-of-detention/

I think this is awesome! Many people confuse discipline with punishment. Discipline really means "to make someone a follower." This is a good way to discipline children without shameful punishment. Punishment does not work for many students and they just keep acting up and getting worse especially if they have mental or emotional issues. So many of us grew up being punished one way or another that it is difficult to see how another approach could work. According to school officials, they have had no suspensions since this program was put in place. Gone are the days of sitting in detention for hours of boredom on in school suspension. Mindfulness is good for adults, it makes people more centered, productive, and happy. Why wouldn't it do the same for kids?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"In Baltimore, Maryland, Robert W. Coleman Elementary is taking a new and holistic approach to how it disciplines students. Rather than punishing them, or sending them off to the principal’s office, they are directed toward “the mindful moment room.” Here, misbehaving students meditate and wind down.

The policy has been in place for more than a year, and the administrators have noticed that no suspensions have been reported throughout that time."
http://www.collective-evolution.com...iplined-with-meditation-instead-of-detention/

I think this is awesome! Many people confuse discipline with punishment. Discipline really means "to make someone a follower." This is a good way to discipline children without shameful punishment. Punishment does not work for many students and they just keep acting up and getting worse especially if they have mental or emotional issues. So many of us grew up being punished one way or another that it is difficult to see how another approach could work. According to school officials, they have had no suspensions since this program was put in place. Gone are the days of sitting in detention for hours of boredom on in school suspension. Mindfulness is good for adults, it makes people more centered, productive, and happy. Why wouldn't it do the same for kids?

It has that potential. Left in a room, kids will set fire to it.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
From the article: "The policy has been in place for more than a year, and the administrators have noticed that no suspensions have been reported throughout that time."

Punishment hasn't worked. Introspection may be the way to turn kids around .

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Um.

Suspension is a form of punishment.

Wouldn't it just naturally follow that if you decide to stop punishing kids that obviously the rate of suspension would go down?

"I've stopped eating chicken products."
"The amount of eggs I've eaten in the last year has gone down drastically."

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like solitary confinement to me.
Or secretly teaching them. How to relieve their stress and help them deal with things, that make them act out.

• Agree
Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0