Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I feel like a broken record, but on any other day, she'd have CPS knocking on her door and every liberal around here decrying her for beating on her son while swearing at him.

I hear people saying "she was protecting him" "she was taking charge" "she didn't want him to end up like Freddie Gray"...

Well, to that I have to say that most parents who discipline their children are doing so because they feel it is in their children's best interest. So why are these folks losing custody of their kids while this mom is applauded and called "Mother of the Year"?

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Because in this case, even the most bleeding heart, touchy-feely Barney-the-Dinosaur fools know they can't fault a mother for stopping her idiot child from rioting without a serious backlash of "have you lost your mind"s? You're right though; sadly, spoiling/over-protecting a child doesn't even make most people blink twice today, no matter how absurd and extreme and no matter how damaging it is to a child. No abuse there. But let a responsible parent discipline a child, not just suggest but actually enforce rules, and push them to do the right thing and "be all they can be?" The horror!

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We definitely do not need more parents like this.

Getting to the point where you are slapping a kid up the side of his fool head he is apt to get blown off is not good parenting and the continuing action even less encouraging.

Still far better than any other parents who made the same mistakes, recognized their kids, and did nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Because in this case, even the most bleeding heart, touchy-feely Barney-the-Dinosaur fools know they can't fault a mother for stopping her idiot child from rioting without a serious backlash of "have you lost your mind"s? You're right though; sadly, spoiling/over-protecting a child doesn't even make most people blink twice today, no matter how absurd and extreme and no matter how damaging it is to a child. No abuse there. But let a responsible parent discipline a child, not just suggest but actually enforce rules, and push them to do the right thing and "be all they can be?" The horror!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Getting to the point where you are slapping a kid up the side of his fool head he is apt to get blown off is not good parenting and the continuing action even less encouraging.

Still far better than any other parents who made the same mistakes, recognized their kids, and did nothing.
Afraid I don't follow. So she should have instead let him go about his merry rioting way? Or do you think "please honeybunch come home now" spoken in sugary tones would have worked?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Afraid I don't follow. So she should have instead let him go about his merry rioting way? Or do you think "please honeybunch come home now" spoken in sugary tones would have worked?
Apparently, to quote the mayor of Baltimore, some believe that she should have given him "space to destroy". :doh:

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I agree. I hate to say it- but if she had been parenting consistently- the likelihood of him being out there in the first place would be slim to none. What we saw was a reaction. While I do understand her reaction- I've got a feeling she's another one that doesn't understand that there's a distinct difference between being authoritarian and being authoritative when it comes to parenting. The former is awful and the latter is good. You could tell her son didn't respect her.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I gotta give kudos to the mom ...

"Embarrassed" Son of Mom Who Slapped Him When She Saw Him With Baltimore Rioters Speaks Out | TheBlaze.com
“I understand how much my mama really cares about me,” Michael Singleton told ABC News. “I just got to try to do better.”​
His mother said this:
"I did. You know, once he threw that rock down I said, ‘You weren’t brought up like this,’ ” Graham told CNN.

You can how easily a young person can get carried away in an even like this, even when they've been raised right. I hope you'll keep this in mind next time you go on about these "thugs" and their lack of proper upbringing and their broken homes they must come from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, to that I have to say that most parents who discipline their children are doing so because they feel it is in their children's best interest. So why are these folks losing custody of their kids while this mom is applauded and called "Mother of the Year"?
What kids. I think someone been telling you lies. Also if someone has to punish their 16 year old, like the lady in the store. Then their punishments aren't working, since a 16 year old should know better.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think if she was a good mother, then he wouldn't be looting.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel like a broken record, but on any other day, she'd have CPS knocking on her door and every liberal around here decrying her for beating on her son while swearing at him.

I hear people saying "she was protecting him" "she was taking charge" "she didn't want him to end up like Freddie Gray"...

There's a substantial difference between using profanity and physical force on your teenager when you're in primal Papa or Mama Bear mode fearing the palpable danger he has directly placed himself in, and using it in ordinary everyday circumstances. Her son put himself directly in the path of harm, and was contributing to chaos and destruction. She was infuriated with him but also scared and wanting to do anything to get him off the street. I don't think smacking him upside the head and cursing was Mother of the Year parenting by any means, but I get that she was desperate and operating on emotions rather than any reason. If she had done that to him for talking back to her in the parking lot or coming home late for curfew, the reaction would be far less flattering.

I don't think that is at all comparable to using corporal punishment as a disciplinary method when the kid is not at risk for losing life or limb or being arrested. Even if a parent sincerely believes a punishment is in the best interest of the child, it always doesn't mean that it actually is. Parents in less stressful situations should also be able to regulate their emotions so they're not in the same frenetic mode of mind as when their child is in danger, and immediate action is required to get him out of that danger. In most situations when emotions are peaked all parties involved can afford to take a cooling off period instead of just being reactive and letting their emotions push out their reason. It seems like parents who receive visits from CPS are in the habit of using punishments that are excessive or otherwise inappropriate. They need to learn other methods of correction that are reasonable, proportionate, and compliant with the laws. Some parents (not mine, thank God) seem to think they are above the law, and that's not OK. I don't think parents receive visits from CPS on a regular basis simply for vulgarity in their speech.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

They are saying that the mother having a moment of maternal brilliance does not indicate she was a good parent considering her kid got to the point where she had to confront him in the middle of a riot and smack the stupid out of him.

To be fair though, kids do stupid stuff, and even the best parents can't stop every foolish action.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Patchworks

Blatantly Homo Sapien
Jan 28, 2015
Maybe The Mayans Just Got Tired of Making Calendar
Visit site
✟15,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baltimore mom Toya Graham: "I just lost it" seeing son at riots with rock in hand - CBS News

Wow really getting on your kid's case for wrong behavior, what a radical concept!
That the system is teaching kids they can't be disciplined at all by adults is what caused this womans punk son to act out in the first place.

Thank God she reminded him who's boss.

These rioters are a product of an ultra-leftist environment. They're using the death of one man as an excuse to rally together, as it is said three street gangs that prey on their own people are doing, just to kill cops.

And the same professional rabble rousers that stoked the rage in Ferguson and elsewhere are now in Baltimore. Seeking to escalate the unrest against the establishment. And to what end?

That's what we have to ask ourselves when the media, who programs the pulse of America's consumer of it, focuses on race riots against police.
While ignoring white cops killing white victims. What's the motive?

I think it's to set off a race war so that Obama has reason to declare martial law before he's expected to leave office.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You can how easily a young person can get carried away in an even like this, even when they've been raised right. I hope you'll keep this in mind next time you go on about these "thugs" and their lack of proper upbringing and their broken homes they must come from.
Noting that this mother's son comes from a broken home. His mother is a single mom with six kids and without a job.

It's a problem.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Baltimore mom Toya Graham: "I just lost it" seeing son at riots with rock in hand - CBS News

Wow really getting on your kid's case for wrong behavior, what a radical concept!

That is rather traditional Black-American parenting. Not that all Black-American parents carry on like that but lets just say it's not uncommon in "the hood."

Although, at his age and taller height over his mother, it usually takes place either "back on the block" or at home, not off the block in front of television cameras and that huge of a crowd full of strangers.

I was raised by a Black-American father and white American mother. Two different parenting styles per corporal punishment. As is standard in the Black-American community (at least when I was growing up--which also included not going out side the home without a belt on [not like pants hanging down your butt today]) my father used to order me as a small child to go get his belt. Which meant so he could beat me with it. And then as I was spanked and cried, he would shout at me to stop crying before he gives me something to cry about (meaning harder beating). That's also a traditional comment/threat among Black-American parents. :D

My white mother never slapped me around like the black mothers of my black friends.

Also, my white Mother never threatened me with a beating if I didn't stay somewhere and fist fight some boys threatening me or jumping me. Which was a pretty normal threat ethnic Black-American mother gave their black sons.

But it is hard to say ethnic Black-Americans beat their kids and white American parents don't. Because there are plenty of physically abused white children beaten by their white parents.

But in general I think Black-Americans carried the culture of the whip (why extension cords and so forth were so common in the spanking for black kids) from the slave plantations of the South up to the North.

I think a strong culture of emasculating black boys early on and into adulthood was carried out of those slave plantations of the South.

I'm indifferent to this woman's actions probably because I have seen it *so much.*

However, I'm of the mind, knowing Americans as I do, that what they really get their jollies off on seeing this public shaming and physical assault on this young man, was the emasculation of a black male.

As a thought experiment we can imagine a white American man in his 40s publicly slapping around his 16 year-old daughter, while screaming profanities at her, for wearing a mini-skirt and dancing provocatively outside.

Feminists would be in an uproar be they female or male. And white knight syndrome conservative males would be standing arm in arm with them.

(I'm for spanking kids when necessary--and this boy probably should have been slapped upside his head behind closed doors. And I do believe the mother intended well and overall is a good woman and good mother. Her emotions probably got the best of her even while she was *out in public* and I certainly can excuse her. She does not want her only son to end up did or a "hood" statistic.)

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN said:
What kids. I think someone been telling you lies. Also if someone has to punish their 16 year old, like the lady in the store. Then their punishments aren't working, since a 16 year old should know better.

Hal Stanley lost custody of his kids I a raid of his house for MMS, and it became public that he possibly spanked his teens. You can read some of the indignant responses in threads here on CF. I'm on my iPad and at work so I can't link them.

Rosalinda Gonzalez lost custody of her children because she spanked them.

The list goes on...just google "parent spanking custody". There's even a website outdrew that helps Dads accuse their ex-wives in such manner so that the moms lose custody, and spanking accusations is a quick way for hat to happen.

What "lady in the store" are you referring to?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Artemis97 said:
There's a substantial difference between using profanity and physical force on your teenager when you're in primal Papa or Mama Bear mode fearing the palpable danger he has directly placed himself in, and using it in ordinary everyday circumstances. Her son put himself directly in the path of harm, and was contributing to chaos and destruction. She was infuriated with him but also scared and wanting to do anything to get him off the street. I don't think smacking him upside the head and cursing was Mother of the Year parenting by any means, but I get that she was desperate and operating on emotions rather than any reason. If she had done that to him for talking back to her in the parking lot or coming home late for curfew, the reaction would be far less flattering. I don't think that is at all comparable to using corporal punishment as a disciplinary method when the kid is not at risk for losing life or limb or being arrested. Even if a parent sincerely believes a punishment is in the best interest of the child, it always doesn't mean that it actually is. Parents in less stressful situations should also be able to regulate their emotions so they're not in the same frenetic mode of mind as when their child is in danger, and immediate action is required to get him out of that danger. In most situations when emotions are peaked all parties involved can afford to take a cooling off period instead of just being reactive and letting their emotions push out their reason. It seems like parents who receive visits from CPS are in the habit of using punishments that are excessive or otherwise inappropriate. They need to learn other methods of correction that are reasonable, proportionate, and compliant with the laws. Some parents (not mine, thank God) seem to think they are above the law, and that's not OK. I don't think parents receive visits from CPS on a regular basis simply for vulgarity in their speech.

Nope. Circumstances don't dictate whether whuppin a kid over the head is ok or not. It either is or is not okay.

You will be surprised at what things can prompt a CPS visit.

Upvote 0