Baha'i Holy Days in a few weeks.... November 1st and 2nd.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Baha'is will be observing two Holy Days in a few weeks... On November 1st the Birth of the Bab (Siyyid Ali Muhammad) and on November 2nd the Birth of Baha'u'llah (Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri).

Baha'u'llah (meaning "Glory of God") was born in 1817 in Tihran while the Bab was born in 1819 in Shiraz.

The ministry of the Bab ( meaning "the Gate") was relatively brief beginning in 1844 and ending with His martyrdom in 1850 while the ministry of Baha'u'llah lasted until 1892 when He ascended - passed away- in Bahji near Akka in what is today Israel..then it was under the Ottoman Empire.

The Holy Days actually begin at sunset the day before... so this year the Birth of the Bab in my area will start after sunset October 31st. During the Holy Days work and school are suspended. Usually there are gatherings of the Baha'i community with prayers and community meals.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What do you typically do for a celebration of this holiday?

Baha'is typically gather at a home or a Baha'i Center ..meeting place and share appropriate prayers and readings from the Baha'i Writings...usually there is a program of such readings and prayers developed before hand and following that we will socialize and share food and play some games. As I mentioned above work and school during the Holy Day are suspended

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes thanks everyone! My wife and I had two days in which we shared prayers and food with Baha'is in our communities.

Later this month are an additional two Holy Days... The "Day of the Covenant" on November 25th and on the 27th of November early in the morning we have a somber gathering on the anniversary of the Ascension of Abdul-Baha... His passing in Bahji near Akka now Israel in 1921...A summary of His life can be found at

http://www.bahai.org/abdul-baha/life-abdul-baha

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Baha'is will be observing two Holy Days in a few weeks... On November 1st the Birth of the Bab (Siyyid Ali Muhammad) and on November 2nd the Birth of Baha'u'llah (Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri).

Baha'u'llah (meaning "Glory of God") was born in 1817 in Tihran while the Bab was born in 1819 in Shiraz.

The ministry of the Bab ( meaning "the Gate") was relatively brief beginning in 1844 and ending with His martyrdom in 1850 while the ministry of Baha'u'llah lasted until 1892 when He ascended - passed away- in Bahji near Akka in what is today Israel..then it was under the Ottoman Empire.

The Holy Days actually begin at sunset the day before... so this year the Birth of the Bab in my area will start after sunset October 31st. During the Holy Days work and school are suspended. Usually there are gatherings of the Baha'i community with prayers and community meals.

Why do you celebrate the birthday of human? Are they better humans than you are?

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why do you celebrate the birthday of human? Are they better humans than you are?

Thanks for posting "juvenissun!

They (the Bab and Baha'u'llah) are considered Manifestations of God by us Baha'is so we observe Their anniversaries.... Much as some Christians recognize the Birth of Christ who we also accept.

- Art

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

They (the Bab and Baha'u'llah) are considered Manifestations of God by us Baha'is so we observe Their anniversaries.... Much as some Christians recognize the Birth of Christ who we also accept.

- Art

Are you also a manifestation of God?
If you are not, then how would God guide you in your daily life?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon

- Art
Do you celebrate Christmas or the birth of other Manifestations?

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do you celebrate Christmas or the birth of other Manifestations?

Jane,

Thanks for your question! Baha'is observe the anniversaries of the Bab and Baha'u'llah. If your family say has Christian relatives and celebrating Christmas is important to them we are free to participate with them.. In my family my wife's parents were Christians and they invited us to open presents with them etc. so we would go to their home... They also would reciprocate by attended our Ayyam-i-Ha parties where some of the same customs of gift exchanges occur. We had a Naw-Ruz meal in a local park and my wife's family participated. So if there are members of your family that are non-Baha'is you are free to participate with them in their celebrations.

- Art

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Juvenissum for your question! No I myself am not a "Manifestation of God" nor would I claim to be..:wave: To understand that concept better I will offer you a source so you may have more of an idea what it means:

http://www.bahai.org/beliefs/god-his-creation/revelation/manifestations-god

The best to you!

- Art

Do you ever have YOUR OWN original understanding on the doctrine of your faith? Or, you did not have any of such understanding, and will never have any?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever have YOUR OWN original understanding on the doctrine of your faith? Or, you did not have any of such understanding, and will never have any?

Yes Juvenissum before I was a Baha'i my own "original understanding" lead me to the Faith.

- Art

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Jane,

Thanks for your question! Baha'is observe the anniversaries of the Bab and Baha'u'llah. If your family say has Christian relatives and celebrating Christmas is important to them we are free to participate with them.. In my family my wife's parents were Christians and they invited us to open presents with them etc. so we would go to their home... They also would reciprocate by attended our Ayyam-i-Ha parties where some of the same customs of gift exchanges occur. We had a Naw-Ruz meal in a local park and my wife's family participated. So if there are members of your family that are non-Baha'is you are free to participate with them in their celebrations.

- Art
Double-checking that I'm understanding you: Baha'i have nothing against celebrating Christmas with others, but don't normally celebrate Christmas by themselves.
Correct?

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Double-checking that I'm understanding you: Baha'i have nothing against celebrating Christmas with others, but don't normally celebrate Christmas by themselves.
Correct?

Correct Baha'is don't observe Christmas among themselves but we can if invited to do so by Christian friends. The same would hold true of other religious holidays.

Upvote 0