[MOVED] Babies are racists – but there might be a way to cure them, scientists say

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is inSANE.

Well, we have officially lost our marbles.

I'm not quite sure I understand this reaction. What, exactly, is insane about this? That we check babies for racism? Not only do the results of the study seemingly vindicate it, but I'm not sure why one would find this such an appalling question to ask. That the results came up that way? What's crazy about that? I'm confused, honestly. Like, is there some flaw you guys see in the methodology?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not quite sure I understand this reaction. What, exactly, is insane about this? That we check babies for racism? Not only do the results of the study seemingly vindicate it, but I'm not sure why one would find this such an appalling question to ask. That the results came up that way? What's crazy about that? I'm confused, honestly. Like, is there some flaw you guys see in the methodology?

Babies respond to their mother's (caretaker's) face.

It has nothing to do with "racism".

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
They must be born that way!

LOL! Surely yes, babies are "born racist"....hateful li'l munchkins, aren't they?

25r30wi.gif

Reactions: Rocmonkey
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Babies respond to their mother's (caretaker's) face.

It has nothing to do with "racism".

Yes, that was something that came to mind for me as well. But does it matter why the babies react differently? I don't think so. I think what matters is the effect this has. Being unable to easily distinguish people of different races can lead to groupthink and possibly dehumanization. Think about it - "that's not a person, that's a black guy, or an asian guy, or a white guy" might by the subconscious thought process.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/racist-babies-nine-month-olds-bias-faces_n_1477937.html

That article has a much more detailed look at the study, FWIW.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, that was something that came to mind for me as well. But does it matter why the babies react differently? I don't think so. I think what matters is the effect this has. Being unable to easily distinguish people of different races can lead to groupthink and possibly dehumanization. Think about it - "that's not a person, that's a black guy, or an asian guy, or a white guy" might by the subconscious thought process.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/racist-babies-nine-month-olds-bias-faces_n_1477937.html

That article has a much more detailed look at the study, FWIW.

it's a psychological safety mechanism that's a reassurance for babies need to feel secure...same instinctive reaction they have to the fear of being dropped or falling.....

babies need familiarity and reassurance and thus be well adjusted and secure and not be stressed. or startled.

look up the etymology and/or definition of "racism".....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, there's a sure fire cure alright. Ignore Paul Quinn of the University of Delaware. He sounds like the next candidate in this so called research for entry into a Quackwatch list.
Insane! Is right. Kind, but right.
You have to teach hate. Racism is hate. Three month olds aren't taught to hate. And they don't hate naturally.

BTW, why is this considered an American Politics topic?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, there's a sure fire cure alright. Ignore Paul Quinn of the University of Delaware. He sounds like the next candidate in this so called research for entry into a Quackwatch list.
Insane! Is right. Kind, but right.
You have to teach hate. Racism is hate. Three month olds aren't taught to hate. And they don't hate naturally.

BTW, why is this considered an American Politics topic?

LOL!

Upvote 0

bhayes

Jesus is Lord.
Dec 13, 2012
Canada
✟43,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Babies are not born racist. They have a preference for familiarity as brinny said but that doesn't make them racist. Article says: "It’s not known whether these ‘perceptual biases’ are linked or related to racism in adults..." So they said it is not known whether it is linked, (obviously not) yet they still make the claim that babies are racist?
Racism is believing one race is superior to another and includes discrimination, this is obviously not racism and to say it is so is throwing mud on the actual racism that exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, they're not. But don't you wonder how much money this guy got from a grant program or some other avenue in order to arrive at this conclusion? And his is the field of psychology.
Probably barely enough to feed himself, knowing how much researchers make from their efforts.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
The headline of that Metro article says Paul Quinn called babies racist--but the rest of the article doesn't. Which is weird. Maybe the Metro got the headline wrong and he never actually called babies racist!

It's hard to fact-check this because they don't mention the title of the study they're reporting on, and a Google search for the statements they supposedly quoted from the study turns up nothing but racist blogs and tabloids like the Daily Mail, which don't mention the title of the study either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
On wow this is from the Metro. They are out of their depth when they attempt to report on anything more than a cute animal doing something mildly amusing.

I'm quite shocked they even ran this story. Maybe they have a new editor.

Upvote 0