avoiding kissing and holding hands altogether...

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, there were a few times that I was really wanting to lose it.

But thank God that when I was wanting to have sex with someone, they didn't feel similarly. And when someone was wanting to have sex with me, I didn't feel similarly.

But to be honest, I haven't faced the more difficult temptation of having a long term romantic partner that I was physically and emotionally intimate with. I am certain that in the past that I wouldn't have been able to resist that temptation.

JM

Upvote 0

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married

But thank God that when I was wanting to have sex with someone, they didn't feel similarly. And when someone was wanting to have sex with me, I didn't feel similarly.

But to be honest, I haven't faced the more difficult temptation of having a long term romantic partner that I was physically and emotionally intimate with. I am certain that in the past that I wouldn't have been able to resist that temptation.

JM

Nothing wrong having a desire to, its natural, the major difference between you and I is the acting upon said desires lol I still give you the same major props! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
J

Jerimi

JM

I have not been so lucky. When I am sexually attracted to someone, it is almost garunteed that they will not only feel similar but actually initiate the act. This is why I was too weak to wait. That and I was not a Christian at the time. So it goes that I have had many relationships and each has been physical to some degree.

My view on being physical, now that I have learned a few things, is that I do not want to be physical early on. I want to give it some time before we take a step in that direction, however, I do not feel that waiting for marriage for a kiss is necessarily a good thing either. Part of a relationship is the ability to be comfortable around each other completely. An awkward kiss on my wedding night followed by awkward sex does not scream good to me. One should be at least comfortable with their partner to the point of having known their lips before marriage.

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As I said, my plan is to kiss before marriage too. Actually, I have kissed a few people but I regret it because I was not emotionally attached to them.

However, if my SO doesn't want to kiss before marriage, depending on the reason, I can go along with her desires (it wouldn't be a source of conflict). I can understand and approve of some reasons to wait. That is why I said that I can understand the position and even approve of it.

JM

Upvote 0

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My last girlfriend was the "no kissing on the lips until we're married" type. She also told me (quite seriously) that she would probably spend the honeymoon hiding in the bathroom crying to herself.
:o How horrible.

Yeah, I am fine with not doing some stuff until engagement, and not other stuff until the wedding night (like sex). And it is true that wedding night doesn't have to have sex (although I think it would be very romantic, and the romantic part of me really wants to lose my virginity my wedding night).

But it is important to me that my wife isn't one of those people you occasionally see Christians become who feels that sex is dirty or wrong or what have you. Or that has other psychological problems with it.

Those would need to be dealt with, preferably before the marriage. And if she didn't want to kiss until the wedding, I would need to be sure she didn't have those issues.

Sex is a beautiful thing, given to us by God. We need to not abuse it, but also not to demonize it.

JM

I agree with this post.

There is a lot to be said for sexual compatibility. That is not to say that you have to do inappropriate things, by the way, so please don't quote me out of context. I think it is important that a couple figure out whether or not they will be sexually compatible. I think much of that depends on good communication between the couple about expectations and desires. But a kiss can also go a long way in revealing whether or not you will be compatible in your physical relationship. No, it's not ALL that marriage or a relationship is about, but it is and should be a big part of a healthy relationship.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't read this whole thread.
I think it's fine to have boundaries and to be communicating about those boundaries. Sex is a beautiful and joyous thing within marriage and it's important to me to keep it that way. I would want to respect and love a man i was dating enough to not want him or me to experience that outside of marriage. Is holding hands and sweet kisses inherently wrong before marriage? No, I don't even think it's a sin- unless it is something you really have a self control problem with/ or a pressuring the other person problem with. Whoever is the right man for me, is someone I can be fully comfortable with discussing our boundaries and respecting the other not to want to push the other into anything that they aren't comfortable with. I think the deeper level of commitment, the more physical intimacy (in any form) means to me.

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I actually don't think that kissing (or sex) is needed to determine sexual compatibility. Which is more about expectations than 'skill'.

Someone who hasn't kissed much will be bad at kissing, someone who has kissed a lot will be good at it. By saying 'how well she/he kisses shows our sexual compatibility' you are selecting for guys/girls with lots of kissing experience (and often, lots of sexual experience).

This isn't the Christian way to select for partners. It is just selecting for experience, which doesn't help for long term satisfaction in a partner.

Communication, however, is important to expectations about how your sexual life will be. It is important that both parties are satisfied with this... although it isn't just about what people agree to, as people can agree to things like swinging but it isn't healthy anyways.

JM
(Don't censor me please, this is like the rest of my posts good Christian advice and discussion. Removing this discussion is why so many Christians can't talk about it to other Christians and end up without a Christian viewpoint and rather with just the secular viewpoint.)

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can tell you that my kisses will be terrible to begin with, because I have only kissed a couple people (with alcohol involved) and that was a while ago.

I don't think it is a sign that I will be a terrible lover (which is mostly dependent on expectations and whether the person is selfish or not in bed) or that I am not the right person for the next person I kiss.

JM

Reactions: Supplanter
Upvote 0

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually don't think that kissing (or sex) is needed to determine sexual compatibility. Which is more about expectations than 'skill'.

Someone who hasn't kissed much will be bad at kissing, someone who has kissed a lot will be good at it. By saying 'how well she/he kisses shows our sexual compatibility' you are selecting for guys/girls with lots of kissing experience (and often, lots of sexual experience).

This isn't the Christian way to select for partners. It is just selecting for experience, which doesn't help for long term satisfaction in a partner.
FTR, that is not AT ALL what I said, and certainly not what I meant. I never said anything about skill level and never even considered it from that aspect. Just to be clear. :wave:

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that people have this false expectation that what their experiencing is sexual compatibility (either from sex or from kissing). They aren't, rather they are experiencing sexual skill.

Which like any other skill comes from practice.

JM

Reactions: Supplanter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that people have this false expectation that what their experiencing is sexual compatibility (either from sex or from kissing). They aren't, rather they are experiencing sexual skill.

JM

Was this in response to what I said that you misunderstood or are you just putting it out there? I'm not sure if I was clear enough about what I actually meant when I mentioned compatbility.

Upvote 0
S

Sunset2009

There is a lot to be said for sexual compatibility. That is not to say that you have to do inappropriate things, by the way, so please don't quote me out of context. I think it is important that a couple figure out whether or not they will be sexually compatible. I think much of that depends on good communication between the couple about expectations and desires. But a kiss can also go a long way in revealing whether or not you will be compatible in your physical relationship. No, it's not ALL that marriage or a relationship is about, but it is and should be a big part of a healthy relationship.

I disagree entirely. Like someone else said, that is not a Christian way to pick a future spouse. Sexual compatability, and I don't even know what that is, is something that should come last in a relationship, and again, I don't even know what that would entail. "Ooo, I like your kisses." What is that? It should not ever overrule emotional compatabilty or... compatability period. Or something.

If you could explain what you mean by sexual compatibility, that'd be great.

Lolwut? Let me just say, not true. :cool:

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
:|
Yeeaaahhh, no.
If you can't bond with someone intimately/emotionally without physical/sexual contact, you got some problems!
Like the problem of being a normal human? I'm assuming you're talking about ALL physical contact, including the hand holding and the minor hugs. If touch is supposed to convey love, rather than being all about lust, why wouldn't some form of touch be appropriate for a long-time couple that is considering marriage or is engaged. I just can't fathom not being able to hold a fiancee's hand.

josh_duggar.jpg

If Josh and Anna Duggar can hold hands before marriage,
can't you too?​
Win.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sapphyre

pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟13,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I disagree entirely. Like someone else said, that is not a Christian way to pick a future spouse. Sexual compatability, and I don't even know what that is, is something that should come last in a relationship, and again, I don't even know what that would entail. "Ooo, I like your kisses." What is that? It should not ever overrule emotional compatabilty or... compatability period. Or something.

I think it's more about not liking their kisses than "Oo I like your kisses". Haha. But in my (very limited) experience, if you already have that emotional bond with someone and like them enough to kiss them in the first place, you'll enjoy it. And vice versa.

C'mon Chris, you gotta come back and clear things up here!

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2004
Canada
✟43,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
If kissing and hand holding turns you on that much then you have to be really careful. Just have a boundary talk with your partner and STICK to them, be accountable to each other if one starts to slip. I see no problems with kissing or holding hands.

Upvote 0

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, here's what I said:

Which I now regret because I was misunderstood. I should have had the oversight to know it was going to be misunderstood. :doh: So let me reiterate.

I DID NOT say that "sexual compatibility/physical compatibility" was determined by someone's skill level. Like I mentioned in another post, someone's skill level in physical acts never even crossed my mind!

I DID NOT say that this was an excuse to engage in inappropriate physical contact. In fact, I said that it was not.

I DID NOT say that the focus of a relationship should be on the physical. I even said that it was not all about that.

I DID say that the important thing is that there is healthy communication about desires, expectations, etc.

JM

Again, I didn't say that. I certainly would not consider myself "skilled" by ANY means. I have had very little practice over the course of my lifetime, trust me.

I NEVER said it was the way to "pick up a spouse." Please, everyone! Don't read into things that are not being said here.

I certainly never said it was all about "Ooo, I like your kisses." Seriously? That would be incredibly shallow of me, would it not?

I definitely never said it should overrule compatibility in other areas.

I think it's more about not liking their kisses than "Oo I like your kisses". Haha. But in my (very limited) experience, if you already have that emotional bond with someone and like them enough to kiss them in the first place, you'll enjoy it. And vice versa.

C'mon Chris, you gotta come back and clear things up here!
There is truth to this. If you find that after being with someone for awhile that their kisses do *nothing* for you, I think that indicates a problem. That doesn't mean that the person lacks skill in kissing, necessarily. I have known those to go on in relationships with people they disliked kissing or the idea of kissing...not people that are asexual, but people with normal sexual drive that simply didn't have the chemistry with that particular person. I think that is an incompatibility that puts a lot of frustration into a relationship.

What I meant about physical and sexual compatibility largely has to do with expectations and standards. It is important to be on the same page when it comes to this things. And, LIKE I SAID, most of that can be accomplished by simply communicating and talking about it honestly.

However, I stand by my statement that sometimes a simple kiss can speak volumes about a person. Someone can say what their expectations and standards are, but often what is really inside will come out when there is a physical connection. I don't take this so far as to include inappropriate sexual acts...I'm just talking about holding hands and light kissing. Through this innocent physical connection, you can discover how affectionate that person is, how often they want to be affectionate, whether or not they are comfortable displaying affection, how much emotion is tied into their affection, what kind of attitude they have towards physical contact, and a host of other things.

It is very, very hard for me to explain what I am trying to say here.

Upvote 0