• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Autism, Humour and Behaviour

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm very new to autism. Met one client recently, the details of which I will keep confidential. But those of you with experience and knowledge of autism, what advice do you have for me? How should I approach someone with autism? The same as I would anyone else?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That really depends on your particular client. If they are well-developed cognitively, they can apply their engineering/problem-solving capabilities toward developing coping strategies and workarounds.

If they are of more normal cognition, they can be taught some of the same strategies, but they will be less autodidactic.

If they have severe cognitive impairments (as seen in my children's generation), they may never develop past a particular mental age. My 29yo son has a mental age of 6-10 years. My 22yo daughter, 18 months.

We see plenty of examples of the first two groups when we look back through history. It is the last group that has been experiencing unprecedented growth. Some are starting to believe that it may be a distinct condition occurring on top of conventional autism.

(It is not clear to me about how you want this question answered with respect to humor.)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For myself, I get most types of popular humor, particularly puns, but I don't always get deadpan or sarcastic humor right away (and I have used both myself).

In our home, we use self-deprecating humor and repartee, but some would take personal offense at the latter. We all make mistakes, and some can be funny when you think about it. You just have to feel out your audience.

One of my running jokes about my wife:
She once went to have an MRI scan of her brain to determine the status of her tumors and the tech said that THEY FOUND NOTHING THERE...!

(We all can laugh at that because nobody thinks that she is stupid.)

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm very new to autism. Met one client recently, the details of which I will keep confidential. But those of you with experience and knowledge of autism, what advice do you have for me? How should I approach someone with autism? The same as I would anyone else?
Yes, the same as anyone else. Put other "normal" people in a broad spectrum and each one is different. A broad brush doesn't work well.
My grandchild is an Aspie who has changed dramatically from his toddler yrs., especially about age 5, to his almost teen yrs.
I hear about the behaviors, learning skills or lack there of, quirks, social skills, friends or lack of, etc. and some are like my grandson but many aren't.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Can I ask perhaps a delicate question?
It must be very challenging as a parent of an autistic child? The behaviours can be very difficult/exhausting to deal with? Worse than a child with bad behaviour who is not autistic?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It must be very challenging as a parent of an autistic child? The behaviours can be very difficult/exhausting to deal with? Worse than a child with bad behaviour who is not autistic?

Some of that, yes. My daughter is a delight, not really badly behaved, but very full on and it can be challenging.

But the biggest challenge I think is working to parent your child in a system which can't accommodate them. It's not just dealing with the child, it's dealing with everyone around them as well.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That gets back to my three levels of functioning above. Base autism operates under a different communications paradigm which is quite similar to that of the intellectually gifted. A parent can get that over time.

It is the recent epidemic of cognitive impairment on top of autism that is more of a challenge to work with. Without said impairment, a child [ASD or NT] will eventually learn from their consequences [natural or parental] and parent can make that part of their strategy. We try to prevent children from touching a hot stove, but most won't touch it a second time.

In our experience, this impairment has taken away that sense of causation. Negative consequences [both kinds] are seen as just the world being mean to them; in no way tied to their poor choices. The hot stove is just being personally "mean" to them whenever they manage to touch it. That is uncharted territory for most (if not all) parents.

Further (in our case), rebellious siblings may quickly figure out that, if they ride out the lower levels of punishment, there is nothing more their parents can legally do after a certain point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hi,

I have high-functioning autism. I like it best when people approach me as you would someone else without any touch (no handshake, ect).
I'm similar to you. I don't like touch in greetings. And hugs are for those close to you. (IMHO)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is something my middle daughter has to deal with on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another example of my weird humor:
One of my younger [NT] sons once asked why we named him the way that we did.

"By the time you were born, we had already used up all of the good names. We were scraping the bottom of the barrel..." ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That is something my middle daughter has to deal with on a daily basis.
Sorry to hear that. I think the ones who hardly speak and lack social skill must be very tough to deal with.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear that. I think the ones who hardly speak and lack social skill must be very tough to deal with.
Our granddaughter is high functioning and is fully conversant; but was quite slow to get there. But she does have extreme mood swings and has a lot of difficulty with social skills.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums