Nov 11, 2005
✟10,854.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wanted to ask this question here because I believe Catholics have a greater understanding of Authority than most. As I've been going through the process to enter Seminary Romans 13 has become very important to me.
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

I think that often times God speaks to us through those he has placed in authority over us. So here's the question, someone in authority over you tells you to do something you know to be wrong, it could be a Bishop your boss at work, your husband ( if you believe in the authority of the husband as head of the wife). Should you submit though you know it's wrong. Are you commiting a sin or would the greater sin to disobey

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Depends on what you mean as "wrong". Do you mean do something contrary to the teachings of the Church, or just something you personally don't think is a good idea?
If a superior is telling you to do something contrary to the teachings of the Church, you should first talk to them about it (humbly), and if it is still contrary in your opinion, you talk to their superior about it, etc.

Upvote 0

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
FullyMT said:
Depends on what you mean as "wrong". Do you mean do something contrary to the teachings of the Church, or just something you personally don't think is a good idea?
If a superior is telling you to do something contrary to the teachings of the Church, you should first talk to them about it (humbly), and if it is still contrary in your opinion, you talk to their superior about it, etc.

^^ what he said ....

again :)

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
FriarTuck said:
I wanted to ask this question here because I believe Catholics have a greater understanding of Authority than most. As I've been going through the process to enter Seminary Romans 13 has become very important to me.
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

I think that often times God speaks to us through those he has placed in authority over us. So here's the question, someone in authority over you tells you to do something you know to be wrong, it could be a Bishop your boss at work, your husband ( if you believe in the authority of the husband as head of the wife). Should you submit though you know it's wrong. Are you commiting a sin or would the greater sin to disobey

I would think that would depend on what you were being asked to do. If your bishop tells you to go and kill people, then disobey. If you were a priest and your bishop unfairly told you to stop celebrating Mass, then you should obey.

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
stray bullet said:
I would think that would depend on what you were being asked to do. If your bishop tells you to go and kill people, then disobey. If you were a priest and your bishop unfairly told you to stop celebrating Mass, then you should obey.
..................................................................:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Sisof8

Sep 13, 2005
Virginia
Visit site
✟9,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is there any sort of biblical proof that if it is wrong we aren't to obey?

Like... if a 10 year old has been Catholic his whole life and he loves the Church and his parents convert to a non-denominational church and tell him he isn't allowed to attend mass anymore... what does he do? what is he is 15? 17?

Or... A student's teacher has them reading a book that has cussing or sexual material in it and the student feels it would be wrong... what do they do?

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Sisof8 said:
Is there any sort of biblical proof that if it is wrong we aren't to obey?

Like... if a 10 year old has been Catholic his whole life and he loves the Church and his parents convert to a non-denominational church and tell him he isn't allowed to attend mass anymore... what does he do? what is he is 15? 17?

A ten year old would need to maintain his faith through prayer and witnessing, until he was 18, at which time he could join the Church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.