inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, OzSpen.

I read them. Romans 1:18 is very remarkable.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
This is what we see happening around us in these dark times. People pretending to be wise, deceiving and misguiding other people and themselves.

I still do not call myself Baptist, because I am not baptized, yet.

Please don't take it, personally. I like you. But I hate cricket with a burning passion. This is one sport in our country which has axed the budget for soccer. There's nothing wrong with others watching or playing cricket, but it is so boring I'd rather watch paint dry than watch cricket.

Thank you.

EDIT: Put the bible verse inside a quote

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... I have bought one KJV bible at very cheap price ($6.99). I don't find the old english to be difficult at all. In fact I like it very much...
You will be glad in the long run. The cause of the low cost is that they did not have to pay royalties to ANYONE. Notice there is no Copyright statement in front, unless it deals with references and notes added by men!

As was suggested, you need to deal with very important issues. When I was taking these things seriously many years ago, a scheme for reading was suggested that was different than what I had heard. Start your regular reading (an hour or so, early or late - whenever you will have most peace and quiet...) by reading through the Gospel According to John. Read it through a few times, till you get a sense of who Jesus really is (like anything, the successive times will allow you to notice details that escaped you previously.)

Next, read through all four Gospels, and do that a few times. If you are to trust someone with your very existence and all your future, you need to know Him - He will need to know you as well. This will get you grounded in certain basic principles you need to depend upon. Next, read through the whole New Testament. Do this a few times, and notice the impact of the letters of Paul the Apostle.

Next, choose one of Paul's Epistles, and read it through. Study and concentrate on going through that a few times. Then choose another of Paul's Epistles. Do this with each of Paul's letters, and then choose another Apostle whose letters have an impact for you. I'd suggest I & II Peter...

Let me know if this helps.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, OzSpen.

I read them. Romans 1:18 is very remarkable.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
This is what we see happening around us in these dark times. People pretending to be wise, deceiving and misguiding other people and themselves.

I still do not call myself Baptist, because I am not baptized, yet.

Please don't take it, personally. I like you. But I hate cricket with a burning passion. This is one sport in our country which has axed the budget for soccer. There's nothing wrong with others watching or playing cricket, but it is so boring I'd rather watch paint dry than watch cricket.

Thank you.

inlight12,

If you read the Bible and look at our world, you'll find that the worldview expressed in the Bible fits like a hand in glove with what is happening in our world. It's a perfect fit.

That's the way it should be as it is God's word and he tells us what is happening in our world and will happen in the future.

Now that you have a Bible, I hope that you read it from cover to cover. I have a Bible reading plan where I read 2 chapters from the OT and 1 from the NT every day. If I'm faithful and do that every day, I'll get through it in 12 months. It normally takes me 18-24 months. I use of of these Daily Bible Reading Plans.

All the best in your pursuit of the Lord through Scripture.

Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I attended my first Baptist Church today (and the first church in my life as a matter or fact). I loved the people, loved the atmosphere and loved everything there. It already feels good and it is helping me cope with past sadness.

BTW, which version of the bible should I buy?

Thanks

God bless you! First church ever? That's wonderful news.

I love my Baptist Church too and I use a NASB study bible without any problems. English is my second language and I will not embrace "old" English translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You will be glad in the long run. The cause of the low cost is that they did not have to pay royalties to ANYONE. Notice there is no Copyright statement in front, unless it deals with references and notes added by men!

As was suggested, you need to deal with very important issues. When I was taking these things seriously many years ago, a scheme for reading was suggested that was different than what I had heard. Start your regular reading (an hour or so, early or late - whenever you will have most peace and quiet...) by reading through the Gospel According to John. Read it through a few times, till you get a sense of who Jesus really is (like anything, the successive times will allow you to notice details that escaped you previously.)

Next, read through all four Gospels, and do that a few times. If you are to trust someone with your very existence and all your future, you need to know Him - He will need to know you as well. This will get you grounded in certain basic principles you need to depend upon. Next, read through the whole New Testament. Do this a few times, and notice the impact of the letters of Paul the Apostle.

Next, choose one of Paul's Epistles, and read it through. Study and concentrate on going through that a few times. Then choose another of Paul's Epistles. Do this with each of Paul's letters, and then choose another Apostle whose letters have an impact for you. I'd suggest I & II Peter...

Let me know if this helps.

Yes, there is no copyright or anything else that original KJV had (e.g. THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER, The Epistle Dedicatory etc.) It is just the table of contents and the books of bible.

Your method sounds good to me. I'll follow that.

Thanks, Avid.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
inlight12,

If you read the Bible and look at our world, you'll find that the worldview expressed in the Bible fits like a hand in glove with what is happening in our world. It's a perfect fit.

That's the way it should be as it is God's word and he tells us what is happening in our world and will happen in the future.

Now that you have a Bible, I hope that you read it from cover to cover. I have a Bible reading plan where I read 2 chapters from the OT and 1 from the NT every day. If I'm faithful and do that every day, I'll get through it in 12 months. It normally takes me 18-24 months. I use of of these

All the best in your pursuit of the Lord through Scripture.

Oz

Yes, Oz. That's it. It was my disgust towards certain things in the modern world that led me to study bible at the first place. Actually, I don't hate modernity. But the creation of artificial crisis, the perversion of justice, false beliefs etc. and many more things match very well with the summary of bible I've read.

I definitely plan to read it cover to cover. But it'd take some time. Thanks.

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
God bless you! First church ever? That's wonderful news.

I love my Baptist Church too and I use a NASB study bible without any problems. English is my second language and I will not embrace "old" English translation.

Yes.

I've already bought the bible. But thanks, anyway.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,231.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, there is no copyright or anything else that original KJV had (e.g. THE TRANSLATORS TO THE READER, The Epistle Dedicatory etc.) It is just the table of contents and the books of bible.

Thanks, Avid.
Just like many earlier and all subsequent (English) translations, the Authorised Version (KJV) was copyrighted. Only certain printers were granted permission to print and distribute the AV.

But what is unique about the AV and the Book of Common Prayer is that they are both covered by a perceptual copyright in the UK held by the Crown and licensed to the Queen's Printers (see Rights and Permissions | Cambridge University Press and The Queen's Printer's Patent | Cambridge University Press). Outside the UK, they are now in the public domain due to their age.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thanks, Avid.
When you get to going over the Letters of Paul (Epistles of the Apostle Paul,) individually, I'd suggest the first you'd look at would be Romans, and then Ephesians. Trust in the LORD. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only problem I have with some of the newer versions of the Bible is the fact that they changed some of the meanings. For example, in the KJV, a maid was understood to be a virgin. In the newer versions, maid has been changed to "unmarried woman", which could technically be a virgin, a widow, or even a woman who has been divorced.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just like many earlier and all subsequent (English) translations, the Authorised Version (KJV) was copyrighted. Only certain printers were granted permission to print and distribute the AV.

But what is unique about the AV and the Book of Common Prayer is that they are both covered by a perceptual copyright in the UK held by the Crown and licensed to the Queen's Printers (see Rights and Permissions | Cambridge University Press and The Queen's Printer's Patent | Cambridge University Press). Outside the UK, they are now in the public domain due to their age.
Yes; there is a distinction between the situation with Britain and other countries.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't be fooled by the KJV-Only rhetoric...it's all smoke and mirrors.
No. It is not "smoke and mirrors". A Bible which has stood the test of time for over 400 years and has been blessed and been a blessing to millions is not to be lightly dismissed. It was "THE BIBLE" for the English-speaking world for centuries. And those who attack the Authorized Version generally have no clue about what actually happened to usher in all the false "bibles", and why they are spiritually dangerous.

Reactions: AnneY
Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe the poster meant the KJV was smoke and mirrors and was not attacking it. I believe he or she meant that the rhetoric spoken by those who support a KJV only stance is smoke and mirrors. It is common for KJV only supporters to accuse people of attacking the KJV when in fact they are only disagreeing with the KJV only stance.
Many people also think that Authorized means it was authorized by God and that is not the case. It is called Authorized because it was authorized by the king of England for use as the bible in the Church of England. Those who tell people it was authorized by God as the only English language bible that we are supposed to use are wrong.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not believe the poster meant the KJV was smoke and mirrors and was not attacking it. I believe he or she meant that the rhetoric spoken by those who support a KJV only stance is smoke and mirrors. It is common for KJV only supporters to accuse people of attacking the KJV when in fact they are only disagreeing with the KJV only stance.
Many people also think that Authorized means it was authorized by God and that is not the case. It is called Authorized because it was authorized by the king of England for use as the bible in the Church of England. Those who tell people it was authorized by God as the only English language bible that we are supposed to use are wrong.
Exactly. The original 1611 had the apocrypha in it and took verses out of the original text (Jude 25--"through Jesus Christ our Lord" was omitted), so I don't even know why the KJVO people are set on it. But most KJVO types don't read the original, do they? It wasn't even the first English bible and Erasmus was a Roman Catholic anyway.

Reactions: DawnStar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. The original 1611 had the apocrypha in it and took verses out of the original text (Jude 25--"through Jesus Christ our Lord" was omitted), so I don't even know why the KJVO people are set on it. But most KJVO types don't read the original, do they? It wasn't even the first English bible and Erasmus was a Roman Catholic anyway.
Yes that is very true. Job8 said that those who attack the Authorized Version generally have no clue about what actually happened to usher in all the false bibles. I believe he should study what actually happened to usher in the King James Version.

The Geneva bible was the first bible produced in mass for the English speaking people. King James did not like it and commissioned another translation he authorized for use by the Church of England. The Puritans actually brought a Geneva bible over with them and not a King James version. I find it really hard to understand why some people think the King James is the only English translation anyone should use.

And before I am accused by some people the above statements are not an attack on the KJV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,418.00
Faith
Baptist
The KJV reads differently from contemporary translations of the Bible because the contemporary translations reflect 400 years of biblical scholarship that the translators of the KJV did not have available to them. Very numerous errors have been corrected in the best recent translations.

The most precisely accurate translation (by a very wide margin) from a moderate to theologically liberal perspective is the New Revised Standard Version. The runner up is the Revised Standard Version, 1971 edition.

The most precisely accurate translation (by a less wide margin) from a theologically ultraconservative perspective is the New American Standard Bible, 1995 updated edition. The runner up is the English Standard Version.

For some detailed and TRUTHFUL information about the KJV and the history of the revision of it during the past 400 years, the following article is very helpful: http://www.ncccusa.org/newbtu/reader.html

Enjoy your King James Version of the Bible—but never forget that it does not reflect the most recent 400 years of biblical scholarship, and that for a more precisely accurate translation you will need to read a much newer translation. The belief that the KJV is the REAL Bible is based upon superstition, ignorance, and willful deception.

Upvote 0