inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I attended my first Baptist Church today (and the first church in my life as a matter or fact). I loved the people, loved the atmosphere and loved everything there. It already feels good and it is helping me cope with past sadness.

BTW, which version of the bible should I buy?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
May God bless you in your search for His Mercy and Grace in your life.

If you are completely comfortable with English (sounds like you are,) the Authorized King James Bible has a proven track record of about 400 years. The printing and spelling were standardized and updated over those centuries, and it is actually easier to understand that many others.

For a comparison between or among versions you would consider, try comparing the verses on this list, and see which YOU are more comfortable using. If these things are important, it then is vital we get them right.

200 Verses - aChristianSpirit

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Whatever version you want and can understand. Contrary to what some people here will tell you, there is no "right" version.

Don't be fooled by the KJV-Only rhetoric...it's all smoke and mirrors.

Upvote 0

HuSuTuA

different
Apr 2, 2003
✟127.00
Faith
Agnostic
Hi,

I attended my first Baptist Church today (and the first church in my life as a matter or fact). I loved the people, loved the atmosphere and loved everything there. It already feels good and it is helping me cope with past sadness.

Thanks

What language would you feel comfortable reading the bible in?

Upvote 0

bushinoki

Servant of the Most High
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Another good version is the New King James. Basically the same as the Authorized, but with updated language.

I also recommend visiting the site and seeing the comparisons of the different verses. Whatever feels the most comfortable to you should be the Bible you choose.

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
May God bless you in your search for His Mercy and Grace in your life.

If you are completely comfortable with English (sounds like you are,) the Authorized King James Bible has a proven track record of about 400 years. The printing and spelling were standardized and updated over those centuries, and it is actually easier to understand that many others.

For a comparison between or among versions you would consider, try comparing the verses on this list, and see which YOU are more comfortable using. If these things are important, it then is vital we get them right.

link

Thanks for the link. Yes, the accuracy of the verses is important to me. I've heard that many Christians prefer KJV over other versions. So I will definitely favor this.

However, I'll also have to check with our Reverend once.

What language would you feel comfortable reading the bible in?
English.

Another good version is the New King James. Basically the same as the Authorized, but with updated language.

I also recommend visiting the site and seeing the comparisons of the different verses. Whatever feels the most comfortable to you should be the Bible you choose.

I may end up buying NKJV. Its not like that, I do not understand medieval English. But I'd rather prefer something I can read and understand quickly.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... I may end up buying NKJV. Its not like that, I do not understand medieval English...
Be sure to compare ANY version you are considering by that list at the LINK. Even the NKJV changed their focus, and used different manuscript texts. That was very disappointing to many of us who waited with anticipation while they did that work.

Some modern versions are not better and easier to understand either. Copyright laws REQUIRE that they use different words, and this has caused them to use words that almost NO ONE would use for that meaning. Too many times, a different word or phrase is not just a choice of interpretation, but a different phrase in the Greek text that was used for translation.

There is a good book on the subject of Archaic Words AND the KJV. There are really only a few that are truly archaic. Most are more understandable than what was used to replace them in newer versions.

Archaic Words and the Authorized Version
by Laurence M. Vance, AA, BD, ThM, ThD (about 600 pages and over 5,000 footnotes)

In this book, many words are addressed, and their use in modern publications are more like the KJV, and, sometimes, almost NO ONE would use what the "modern versions" use in their place. I'll give just one example of this:

The word "Impotent" was avoided many times for a particular use we have today, but NOT ALWAYS. After changing it in some places to sick, without strength, helpless, or even disabled (to be politically correct,) the NSAB will change a different word to IMPOTENT. It had "Corrected" it 4 times before, but reinserted it where the KJV and all others had put feeble. This happens with many or all the hundreds of words in question.

Here is a modern publication that shows how it is NOT ARCHAIC to use this word. The Orange County Register, on page 24 of the June 20, 1993 issue, said this in an article titled, "Scientists Debate Whether to Kill Last Remaining Smallpox," by Lauran Neergaard.
"The CDC grew smallpox, separated its genes, rendered them impotent and cloned them."
That book gives this kind of treatment to just about every one of hundreds of "so-called" archaic words in the KJV. One group has made a list from that book of what is really archaic in a popular modern version here:

Archaic Words in the NIV by Dr. Laurence Vance

There is an hour-long video here that is from a radio broadcast. It seems rather good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CrtECHYvps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd personally recommend the NAS, its just as accurate as the KJV but it is in contemporary English. Honestly, if you can, get the NAS and the KJV. I have both and I use both of them depending on what mood I'm in.

The KJV has more beautiful and poetic language, which is great, but the NAS is, in my view, much easier to read through if you are doing long and in-depth scripture reading.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks

Hi inlight,

I'm glad you have set your heart to fellowship with others. I have found that, as a denomination, the baptist fellowships do adhere fairly close to the Scriptures in their teachings. However, baptist fellowships are autonomous congregations and so it is also true that each fellowship must be weighed on its own merits. I hope and encourage you to continue in your meetings.

As to the choice of Scripture, you're going to find some who are adamant that you use one translation over another. I've been a born again believer now for some 17 years and have read and studied the Scriptures at length. Here's my two cents worth regarding which translation is the best for you.

God gave unto mankind His Scriptures that man may know the truth. They are a direct revelation from God, through His Spirit and the hands of men, to you. They tell you who He is; what He has done; what He is doing; and how all of this 'life' that we live today is going to work out. They tell you what He asks of each one of us and holds out for those who will trust and believe Him - the promise of salvation. The best translation of the Scriptures for any individual is, therefore, the one which makes this clear to the reader.

Personally, I have long used the NIV translation and I find that the 1973-1984 copywrite editions are perfectly satisfactory in attaining this goal. However, there are several good translations and so I also give good marks to the NKJV, the RSV, NASB or ESV. Some I personally do not find particularly faithful to the Scriptures is the Good News translation and the Messege translations.

Just keep in mind the purpose for which God gave unto mankind the Scriptures and search through some of the more qualified - based on something as simple as a google search of good translations - and you should have no problem understanding who God is and what He asks of you. The choice of whether you will believe Him and accept His terms is purely up to you and has little bearing on this particular issue.

God bless you as you mature and learn in your faith.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I started out using only the KJV. I thought that was the best translation, at the time. In fact, it seemed like the official translation. Since then, I found the NIV, and I thought that translation was far and above the KJV. I would have defended it as the very best translation had I not discovered the ESV. I would now defend the ESV as the very best Bible translation in the English language, but I have a bad track record of changing my mind. Just stay away from The Message, please.

Upvote 0

bushinoki

Servant of the Most High
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nonae, I tend to hold to the NKJV because I was raised on the traditional KJV, and the first Bible I was given came from a man I respect to this day, and it was NKJV. That Bible has seen better days, and I know I put it somewhere safe, I just can't remember where. I've read the ESV, so I know why so many people like it so much. I do agree. Easily understood in modern context, while very faithful to the literal translation.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Thanks
inlight12,

I commend you for attending this Baptist Church. I trust that you will continue.

As for a Bible translation, if you are wanting an English translation with the simplest of English, I recommend the New Living Translation. You can read it online HERE, but you'll need to choose the Bible verses you want to read. It's a dynamic equivalence translation - a thought-for-thought translation.

Another excellent dynamic equivalence translation with medium English understanding is the New International Version. Read HERE, but choose the verses you want to read.

For a formal equivalence translation (word-for-word), the English Standard Version is a good one. Read HERE.

That should give you a reasonable sample. But for basic English, I find the New Living Translation to be outstanding in its ability to communicate clearly.

I'm an Aussie. How has the cricket season been in India? Ours is about to start as we move into Spring.

Sincerely in Christ,
Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
@OzSpen, Sorry, you're in bad luck, mate. I ain't a cricket-fan.
Shucks! So you don't know the difference between silly square leg, long on, the covers, mid wicket and first slip.

As for Bible versions, the simplest English version, in my view, is the New Living Translation. I wouldn't be recommending the archaic language of earlier King James Versions.

I now notice that your avatar indicates that you are an agnostic. Would you be prepared to raise a couple of subjects in this directory on what are some of the hindrances that get in the way of your believing in God? I'd love to interact with you on those kinds of topics if you want to go in that direction.

Your fair dinkum Aussie mate, Oz

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Shucks! So you don't know the difference between silly square leg, long on, the covers, mid wicket and first slip.

Nopes. I know very little about cricket. In the part I'm form, 22 men get down on the field and fight for the possession of a ball. We have street-fights over this.

I now notice that your avatar indicates that you are an agnostic. Would you be prepared to raise a couple of subjects in this directory on what are some of the hindrances that get in the way of your believing in God? I'd love to interact with you on those kinds of topics if you want to go in that direction.

Your fair dinkum Aussie mate, Oz

Well, I cannot say that I'm still agnostic. Rather, I'm in a transition from agnostic to baptist.

The objection agnostics have for the religion is the same for atheists i.e. they want the proof to believe in God. The difference between agnostic and atheist is that agnostics also want the reasonable proof to disbelieve in God.

But I have come to the realization that believing in God does not need to have proof. You just need to have faith in God and that is enough to be a believer.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Nopes. I know very little about cricket. In the part I'm form, 22 men get down on the field and fight for the possession of a ball. We have street-fights over this.

Well, I cannot say that I'm still agnostic. Rather, I'm in a transition from agnostic to baptist.

The objection agnostics have for the religion is the same for atheists i.e. they want the proof to believe in God. The difference between agnostic and atheist is that agnostics also want the reasonable proof to disbelieve in God.

But I have come to the realization that believing in God does not need to have proof. You just need to have faith in God and that is enough to be a believer.

Why don't you read Romans 1:16-32 (NLT) where God does give (1) evidence for his existence, (2) Why people don't believe in Him, and (2) the consequence for not believing in God?

To be in transition from agnostic to Baptist, you'll need to deal with Jesus, who He is, and why he died on the cross. See:

If you'd like more information, I have provided an overview in 'The Content of the Gospel'.

If you'd like to raise some issues relating to the Gospel and receiving Jesus as your Saviour, why don't you start a new thread with a topic dealing with one of your issues with Jesus, God and salvation?

As for cricket, in my part of the world we are coming into the cricket season with Spring, but we are not allowed to play such on the streets. Law and order issues. Besides, we have lots of lovely parks in my suburb where anyone could set up a cricket pitch that would be excellent for spinners - lots of potential for movement off the pitch (the park turf).

Regards, Oz

Upvote 0