Bob Riley is my governor
✟10,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2009/02/an_advocate_for_atheists_in_ar.html

Even though the law has been unconstitutional since the 60s, I'm glad someone is taking the initiative to manually strike it down.

Being legally permissible and likely are two different things. Thank in large part to Bill Clinton and his organization the two party system never came to Arkansas. It is still a one party state where in both the cities and small towns all elections are decided in the Democratic Primary. An atheist simply can't win a free election in Arkansas even if you remove this symbolic law. How do you think Huckabee got elected in what in state politics is such an overwhelmingly Democratic state. He got elected because a large proportion of the population is Baptist and at the time he was running for Lt. Governor he was one of the state's leading Baptist clergymen.

The day an atheist is elected to the Arkansas legislature is the day that hell freezes over.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Being legally permissible and likely are two different things. Thank in large part to Bill Clinton and his organization the two party system never came to Arkansas. It is still a one party state where in both the cities and small towns all elections are decided in the Democratic Primary. An atheist simply can't win a free election in Arkansas even if you remove this symbolic law. How do you think Huckabee got elected in what in state politics is such an overwhelmingly Democratic state. He got elected because a large proportion of the population is Baptist and at the time he was running for Lt. Governor he was one of the state's leading Baptist clergymen.

The day an atheist is elected to the Arkansas legislature is the day that hell freezes over.

Agree.

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The point is, a man is making a move to at least get that bit of bigotry out of the state constitution. It was already legally permissible since the supreme court already said it was unconstitutional.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lol. That was a law? Thank goodness that law was abolished! That was so unconstitutional. I don't even know what to say.

Article 19 Section 1 of the 1874 Arkansas Constitution states that "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court."

Makes sense when thepreamble to a State's Constitution is:
We, the People of the State of Arkansas, grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government; for our civil and religious liberty; and desiring to perpetuate its blessings, and secure the same to our selves and posterity; do ordain and establish this Constitution.

And Article 2:25 is:
Religion, morality and knowledge being essential to good government, the General Assembly shall enact suitable laws to protect every religious denomination in the peaceable enjoyment of its own mode of public worship.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But it does seem to conflict with Article 2:26:

No religious test shall ever be required of any person as a qualification to vote or hold office; nor shall any person be rendered incompetent to be a witness on account of his religious belief; but nothing herein shall be construed to dispense with oaths or affirmations.

One can only assume that since Article 19 is entitled Miscellaneous Provisions that it should be understood that no religious test shall ever be required of any religious person (as to show prejudice toward one denomination or another) and that an atheist does not qualify to hold office because of Article 2:25.

Controversial, to be sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2009/02/an_advocate_for_atheists_in_ar.html

Even though the law has been unconstitutional since the 60s, I'm glad someone is taking the initiative to manually strike it down.

Hey, I am planning on doing the same in SC, but I am not yet old enough to try to run for office. So if it isn't done in the next 11 years, assuming I have stayed in SC for that long, does anyone mind challenging my attempt to run for governor so I can take it to court?

Of course, anyone who is 30+ in age and has lived in SC for 5+ years can do it, so any takers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S53

Aug 12, 2008
✟2,597.00
Faith
Messianic
Article 19 Section 1 of the 1874 Arkansas Constitution states that "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court."

Makes sense when thepreamble to a State's Constitution is:
We, the People of the State of Arkansas, grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government; for our civil and religious liberty; and desiring to perpetuate its blessings, and secure the same to our selves and posterity; do ordain and establish this Constitution.

And Article 2:25 is:
Religion, morality and knowledge being essential to good government, the General Assembly shall enact suitable laws to protect every religious denomination in the peaceable enjoyment of its own mode of public worship.

BlackAndy, don't get me wrong. I'm all for God. I'm a Messianic. However, I'd rather have a Atheist in charge who knows what they're doing than a Bible thumpin Sunday Christian who doesn't. :doh:

Upvote 0

savvy

I always finish what I....
Jul 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟1,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm trying to gain certification for teaching and was interested in Arkansas...I talked to the guy in charge of hiring and asked what actions he recommended I take to get employed. His suggestion was that I engage in lots of prayer...

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
AMENDING THE ARKANSAS CONSTITUTION TO REPEAL THE PROHIBITION AGAINST AN ATHEIST HOLDING ANY OFFICE IN THE CIVIL DEPARTMENTS OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS OR TESTIFYING AS A WITNESS IN ANY COURT.
So you commit a crime in front of athiests, and you could walk away from the crime?
It's hard to believe these laws are still in the book.
But like others have said, they weren't inforce. They just haven't been removed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wpiman2

Oct 6, 2007
Godless Massachusetts
✟18,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

Good to see that they didn't discriminate against Polytheists.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Ever since I became familiar with Dante's Inferno I've found this an amusing phrase, since per that classic the 9th and worst level of Hell is the frozen lake.

Upvote 0

savvy

I always finish what I....
Jul 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟1,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are atheists in Arkansas? Are you being held against your will? Should we send in a rescue team?

Is there an Atheist Rescue Team I didn't know about??? Why hasn't anybody come for me before???? I could be relocated to a more natural environment, like when tigers get rescued from peoples' back yards and are taken to sanctuaries. Air lift me please!
Actually I just wanna work there because they pay a darn good salary for starting teachers in that particular county.

Upvote 0

Phylogeny

Veteran
Dec 28, 2004
✟2,426.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
There are atheists in Arkansas? Are you being held against your will? Should we send in a rescue team?

LOL.

I also live in a very red state. I know someone who is an atheist and she doesn't exactly share it with people. She says occasionally she bumps into fellow atheists and they commiserate.

It's hard to be an atheist in a religious state, even around the school campus here. People can respect and understand almost any religion, even the non-mainstream ones, but to say you don't believe in God is difficult for most to understand. I grew up in an atheist household and even though I am not one, if I mention it, I think it gives people pause.

Upvote 0