Atheists dream - playing on my mind.

Handler

May 2, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if this is the right section. Sorry if not.

I'm going to start by saying that I am an Atheist. I have been for a while now.
My parents and family associate as Christians but religion is not a large part of their lives and never played much part in my growing up.
This really came out of the blue for me, nothing was playing on my mind. Everything has been normal in my life.
I had a dream last night that was so vivid I was sure it was actually happeningl. More-so than the usual vivid dreams.

In my dream the world was coming to an end.
(no im not an end of the world theorist, I don't think this part was important). It was something everyone in the world seemed to know and had come to terms with and instead of doing horrible things such as stealing from stores-etc, everyone was spending time with those they loved.
I was visiting my grandma with my family.
We had the news on tv, to show up to date information on the end of the world as I guess it was going to just completely explode.
The time came and it was a matter of seconds before the world would explode and my thoughts suddenly went to what would happen when I die, then just as I was thinking it, the earth beneath my feet rumbled. There was a short pain which suddenly vanished and then there was just black, and that's
when I felt it. This huge surge of emotion not coming from me but from something much greater than my own conciousness.
It was just completely sad and wanted to reach out to me but it couldn't.
As silly as it may sound I just knew it was God, it was very matter-of-factly and I knew I had made a mistake in my life by not believing in him and turning away.
It's hard to completely describe the feeling but I didn't have a body and having had a body wasn't something I really ever registered but at the same time I was terrified as i was 'falling' through nothing.
My first thought was to beg and say how sorry I was and that I had made a mistake and this only made the sad feeling coming from what i percieved to be God to get stronger,
I got the feeling he wanted to help me but he couldn't. It was impossible and it was the saddest thing for him.
At this point I was just hoping he wouldnt go away, without him there would be nothing and my consiousness would just be falling alone and that made it even more terrifying. I KNEW I would be alone forever. I had a very human moment of anger where I felt I was being punished unfairly and again the sad feeling kind of surged and I felt it telling me that this wasn't the case. That it wanted to help me.
Then it told me to -go- and that things could be different this time. When I say 'told' I really mean it just kind of let me know, there was no actual speech just feeling.
It felt like time reversed and then I woke up. I was just staring across my bedroom completely petrified that I had woken up in hell.
It took me a while to realise I was in my bedroom and that I had actually just been dreaming.

I don't know why I had this dream and with it as vivid as it was I'm definitely not trying to say that it actually happened and that I am back from the dead, but could this be a sign from God that he does exist and his way of reaching out to me? Everyone I suppose always seeks some kind of sign and have something that guides them but I haven't been looking and had got to the point where I just didn't believe at all. In anything.
I can safely say the feelings I was feeling in the dream were feelings I haven't ever experienced before. The intensity of it and the way I could tell everything it wanted me to know without words. Of course, then I tell myself
that with it being a dream I obviously knew everything without words as it was already in my head.
I'm just unsure what to think, it has had me rattled all day and questioning everything. Something I haven't done at all.

I really don't even know what advice I'm looking for. I guess I'm now curious as to whether I should be more open about the existence of God and
if someone could point me in the right direction for curious Atheists. I'm also interested in Atheist replies and whether I'm looking too much into this. I do feel a little silly posting this to be honest but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Usually I'll forget dreams as the day goes on.

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My parents and family associate as Christians but religion is not a large part of their lives and never played much part in my growing up.
This really came out of the blue for me, nothing was playing on my mind. Everything has been normal in my life.
I had a dream last night that was so vivid I was sure it was actually happeningl. More-so than the usual vivid dreams.

(no im not an end of the world theorist, I don't think this part was important). It was something everyone in the world seemed to know and had come to terms with and instead of doing horrible things such as stealing from stores-etc, everyone was spending time with those they loved.
We had the news on tv, to show up to date information on the end of the world as I guess it was going to just completely explode.
The time came and it was a matter of seconds before the world would explode and my thoughts suddenly went to what would happen when I die, then just as I was thinking it, the earth beneath my feet rumbled. There was a short pain which suddenly vanished and then there was just black, and that's
when I felt it. This huge surge of emotion not coming from me but from something much greater than my own conciousness.
As silly as it may sound I just knew it was God, it was very matter-of-factly and I knew I had made a mistake in my life by not believing in him and turning away.
It's hard to completely describe the feeling but I didn't have a body and having had a body wasn't something I really ever registered but at the same time I was terrified as i was 'falling' through nothing.
My first thought was to beg and say how sorry I was and that I had made a mistake and this only made the sad feeling coming from what i percieved to be God to get stronger,
I got the feeling he wanted to help me but he couldn't. It was impossible and it was the saddest thing for him.
At this point I was just hoping he wouldnt go away, without him there would be nothing and my consiousness would just be falling alone and that made it even more terrifying. I KNEW I would be alone forever. I had a very human moment of anger where I felt I was being punished unfairly and again the sad feeling kind of surged and I felt it telling me that this wasn't the case. That it wanted to help me.
Then it told me to -go- and that things could be different this time. When I say 'told' I really mean it just kind of let me know, there was no actual speech just feeling.
It felt like time reversed and then I woke up. I was just staring across my bedroom completely petrified that I had woken up in hell.
It took me a while to realise I was in my bedroom and that I had actually just been dreaming.

I don't know why I had this dream and with it as vivid as it was I'm definitely not trying to say that it actually happened and that I am back from the dead, but could this be a sign from God that he does exist and his way of reaching out to me? Everyone I suppose always seeks some kind of sign and have something that guides them but I haven't been looking and had got to the point where I just didn't believe at all. In anything.
I can safely say the feelings I was feeling in the dream were feelings I haven't ever experienced before. The intensity of it and the way I could tell everything it wanted me to know without words. Of course, then I tell myself
that with it being a dream I obviously knew everything without words as it was already in my head.
I'm just unsure what to think, it has had me rattled all day and questioning everything. Something I haven't done at all.

I really don't even know what advice I'm looking for. I guess I'm now curious as to whether I should be more open about the existence of God and
if someone could point me in the right direction for curious Atheists. I'm also interested in Atheist replies and whether I'm looking too much into this. I do feel a little silly posting this to be honest but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Usually I'll forget dreams as the day goes on.
:)

did you dare God to show Himself to you or did you ask that God somehow let himself be known?

this is my version of your events/dream:
post number 6 and there are a few follow ups.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7474493/

Upvote 0

Tucansam93

Mar 27, 2012
United States
✟7,710.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'm not going to say that was direct contact with God, but honestly who really knows for sure. What you experienced is what people with near death experiences have a lot. Many people with near death experiences, like you did, don't want to come back. They say that in your dreams your wants of your subconscious are revealed. So ask yourself, do you want to be an atheist? Your mind might tell you differently. I am a Christian but I have doubts like anyone else would. Faith is something that a lot of people don't accept because they have to "see it to believe it". What you said about "becoming alone" intrigued me though. Hell is living in our own pride and self pity and that sounds like what it was to me. I'm not saying you were there though. I personally hope you become a believer. I believe the human race is too weak and full of pride to put all of our confidence in science and our own conclusions with how little we actually know. I would definitely tell people about that though. It would definitely start a conversation.

Upvote 0

AbelJeffries

May 2, 2012
Arizona
✟15,123.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First, I don't see why I couldn't be God talking to you. He Loves you enough He might just have. He has talked to people through dreams before.
I also come from a similar background. My parents and almost entire family claim Christianity, but I never saw any evidence. When I hit middle school I knew I wanted nothing to do with their Christless-ianity. But, I still saw their God. A God who, though we rebelled and acted against Him, Loved us enough to die for us and allow us to live close to Him. I decided that I wanted to follow that God, not just think about Him like my family does.

I have had dreams too. Before I followed my Jesus, I dreamed I committed suicide by poisoning myself. While I woke up right before I died, I still shudder at the complete hopelessness and panic I felt. It was horrible. Fast forward a few years and had another dream but I was dying from blood loss. Since I was a Christian, I no longer felt the panic. I was at peace and ready to go Home. Home where a God who loves me infinitley has prepared a place for me. Where I will spend forever talking and having adventures with my fellow Christians.

So, my advice. God is calling You! He Loves You so much He died for you! We could not pay for our sins and we imperfect people deserved eternity away from our Perfect God. But, He sent His son Jesus to be our substitute! He loves us so much, more than anyone else can ever love you. While we were still in our sin, He loved us and saved us. That, my friend, is Christianity. Love in its only True Form. Jesus.

Upvote 0

whitebeaches

Legend
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2007
✟144,700.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
wow! what a dream. i think god is pulling on your heart strings. god loves you more than you will ever comprehend and i think this is His way of reaching out to you. if you have a bible pick it up and read the book of john if you dont you can go to bible gateway online and read there. maybe consider going to church on sundays. a good bible preaching church will be a good place to help find the answers to some of your questions. praying for you. ((( hugs )))

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If it makes you stop and take a serious look around -- then it is a good thing and life can certainly be different from here on out.

As for Atheists - there are a couple of them (Cosmologist Martin Reese and Physicist Leonard Susskind) that made a video recently about "What we still don't know" where they pointed out the "need" to imagine a "multiverse" - an almost infinite number of other universes so they could escape the conclusion that this one was designed. They were forced into the "design" conclusion because of the cosmological constant.

The other clue is that they are not about to make a single living eukaryote cell any time soon - the technology is far beyond us. The Urey Miller experiment is 60 years old and still "dead in the water".

And then there is Daniel 2 and 7 and 8 where over 2000 years of future world history is revealed to Daniel by God with amazing accuracy.

This is just the beginning of evidence for God - in a short post.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What you dreamed sounds to me like a reasonable scenario from a Christian perspective. But it could just as well be your own thoughts as a direct communication from God (though of course God can use natural events such as thoughts to communicate with us). I wouldn't change my life based on the assumption that the dream was supernatural. On the other hand, it seems to have affected you, so at a minimum it seems to be an indication that you're thinking about God.

About all I can suggest is that it's worth exploring what it would be like to be a Christian. I'd like to think that if you do you'll come up with more than just a dream to base faith on.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I may make a suggestion...

Put aside EVERYTHING you have previously believed or not believed about God.

Get a modern-English version of the Bible (like the New International version or Good News version) - you can find this online.

Read the 4 gospels, starting with Matthew.

What can it hurt?

I also have had dreams that I'm confident came from God, but I've always been a believer. Don't put it off...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As to recommendations for a curious atheist: I generally recommend in-person contact. The problem with places like CF is that they tend to encourage argument and extreme views. But most Christians spend most of their time trying to live Christian lives, and not arguing over hot-button issues. Do you know any Christians that seem to you like good people? Why not ask them the same question you asked us? Another reasonable possibility is to browse some of the forums here and find some people whose faith seems to resonate with you. Most people would be happy to talk with you via PM. Certainly I would.

I'm sure we can all suggest things to read, including obviously the Bible. While I think you can just read the Bible without other preparation, starting at the beginning and reading through is probably not the best way to start. You'd probably be better off to start with one of the Gospels, with some background on the context. One book I'd consider using is Harvey Cox's "When Jesus came to Harvard." It's a summary of a course on Jesus that he gave at Harvard for a general audience (i.e. mostly not Christians). It tries to hit the high points, and gives you some historical background. But he's coming from a moderately liberal point of view. I think that's the most accurate approach, but most Christians would disagree.

You'll discover quickly that there's quite a variety of Christians, with somewhat different visions of what Jesus was doing. A quick read of the liberal forum (Whosoever Will Come – Liberal) and the Fundamentalist Christian forum will give you a pretty good sense of the spectrum.

As I see it, your vision was right: God is interested in helping us, but he's set up the world so that we're responsible. I think the overarching plot of the Bible is God choosing Israel as he way of enlightening the world, and preparing it for that role, ending by sending Jesus to represent God in person. You can read the Bible as a set of rules, and see things that look barbaric. But I think you want to read it critically and ask what is the result of people who haven't gotten the message yet, and what shows what God was actually trying to do. I think Jesus was pretty clear that God loves everyone, and is trying to help us.

Upvote 0