Atheist

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello, I am a former christian, I de-converted to atheism a few years ago and would like to ask for reasons why I should return to christianity.

Like Matt, I think it's important to understand why you left Christianity. if a person wants to believe, then they will beleive.

Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I am a former christian, I de-converted to atheism a few years ago and would like to ask for reasons why I should return to christianity.

Returning to Christianity is the right thing to do; the only Truth. Your life will be better by returning.

Upvote 0

Meissner

Apr 30, 2012
✟7,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think the better question is to ask "Why did you turn from Jesus and choose atheism?" We will begin from there.

I never really "turned from Jesus" so to speak, more like I considered the possibility that my beliefs weren't justified, then after seeking justification through prayer, asking others in my congregation and speaking to atheists, I realised that I didn't have any reason to believe.

I am very open to the possibility that I am wrong,

if a person wants to believe, then they will beleive.

This I definitely can not agree with.
Believing is a by-product of being convinced, it is not a choice.
If you "choose" to believe something you are being dishonest with yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimarjoram

Apr 30, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I can sympathize! Although I don't know your story, I do know that the "church" has done its utmost to turn christianity into a set of religious, legalistic dogmas that keep us away from the truth rather than into it.

There are many patronizing comments I could make, but they would probably only go to confirm the very reason you left the church.

So one question would be, did you leave the church, christianity, Jesus or just your concept of God? Its an important distinction. I would hazard to guess that it was a combination of things but probably the "church" and what you came to believe is God.

If you like, I have a blog where I try to be very honest about myself and christian things, feel free to drop by, just google Jim's Awesome Blog.
:)

Upvote 0

Meissner

Apr 30, 2012
✟7,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can sympathize! Although I don't know your story, I do know that the "church" has done its utmost to turn christianity into a set of religious, legalistic dogmas that keep us away from the truth rather than into it.

There are many patronizing comments I could make, but they would probably only go to confirm the very reason you left the church.

So one question would be, did you leave the church, christianity, Jesus or just your concept of God? Its an important distinction. I would hazard to guess that it was a combination of things but probably the "church" and what you came to believe is God.

If you like, I have a blog where I try to be very honest about myself and christian things, feel free to drop by, just google Jim's Awesome Blog.
:)

I never felt really pressured by the church, it was a bunch of really nice people with whom I got along great.

The problem for me was acception of the supernatural, something I am strongly opposed to considering there hasn't been any evidence that the supernatural could even exist.

Mostly the whole concept of God, the contradictions in the Bible and the contradictions in Jesus' teachings.

Upvote 0

jimarjoram

Apr 30, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yeah, that's a problem :p
Well, for starters, the contradictions are there alright, and most christians aren't prepared to acknowledge that, lol. One of the big issues is the difference between the old and new covenants, which are in contradiction to each other. Jesus was the transition between the two so he was speaking to the Jews who were still under the old, but also speaking about what was to come after his death. The New covenant completely did away with law, legalism and religion and made a way into complete unity with God, free from "sin", condemnation, guilt etc, so we could have an intimate one to one relationship with him - yeah, I mean like a best friend/lover sort of thing. Not a knowledge and belief, but a real relationship. He talks to us, we talk to him. Sure there's the cliches of He talks to us through the bible and others, and He can, but I'm not meaning that. This is the real spooky deal.

Perhaps the easiest thing for you to do is ask God if He's real to show you. The trick of course is for you to be prepared to have your paradigms busted open.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Meissner

Apr 30, 2012
✟7,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's a problem :p
Well, for starters, the contradictions are there alright, and most christians aren't prepared to acknowledge that, lol. One of the big issues is the difference between the old and new covenants, which are in contradiction to each other. Jesus was the transition between the two so he was speaking to the Jews who were still under the old, but also speaking about what was to come after his death. The New covenant completely did away with law, legalism and religion and made a way into complete unity with God, free from "sin", condemnation, guilt etc, so we could have an intimate one to one relationship with him - yeah, I mean like a best friend/lover sort of thing. Not a knowledge and belief, but a real relationship. He talks to us, we talk to him. Sure there's the cliches of He talks to us through the bible and others, and He can, but I'm not meaning that. This is the real spooky deal.

Perhaps the easiest thing for you to do is ask God if He's real to show you. The trick of course is for you to be prepared to have your paradigms busted open.

Believe me, I've asked God to show me he is there, the problem is I understand things like mistaken attribution of causation and confirmation bias. I am very prepared for Him to be there, so far he just hasn't been:confused:

Also, do you have a specific passage where Jesus says the "old" laws are fulfilled and no longer applicable? Pretty sure Matthew has something to say about that...

Upvote 0

Krissy Cakes

Site Supporter
Aug 5, 2008
Idaho
✟91,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CharmWelcome.gif

Hello
wave.gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!
hug.gif
I am so glad that you decided to join the site. This site is full of wonderful Christians who love to praise God, fellowship and just have a good time. I am sure that you will quickly meet many new brothers and sisters in Christ. If you are wondering where a good place to get started on the site would be, I would recommend that you check out the Edification and Life Stages boards. Edification allows you to participate in Biblical studies, to ask other Christians questions, and to post prayer requests. Life Stages is designed for people to meet and talk to people at different stages in their lives. There are many more options on this site, and if you would like for me to recommend some more for you please feel free to send me a private message.

I would also recommend that you check out the
Blessings Exchange. This board allows you to play games and participate in fellowship threads to earn extra blessings, the site's currency. You can use your blessings for such things as purchasing items for your Living Avatar or creating a Pet.

The simplest way to earn blessings is by posting. You may earn anywhere from 5-10 blessings per post depending on post size. You may also get a
Job here at Christian Forums to earn extra blessings. All you are required to do is post and collect your salary every week! The more you post, the more blessings you earn. You must have at least 100 posts to select a job. After you start earning blessings, you can deposit those blessings in a savings account at the Christian Forums Bank. By depositing your blessings in a savings account, you are able to collect a 1% interest on those savings each week! I do advise you to only deposit blessings once per week since the timer resets each time you deposit or withdraw blessings. *NOTE: Right now the blessing system is down*

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message!!
:hug:

Krissy_Cakes -•- Your CF Welcoming Angel
:angel:

Upvote 0
P

Publius

Never could understand why atheists keep saying they used to be Christians when being a Christian requires a personal encounter with God.

If you're going to claim you're a Christian, then what you're saying is:

1. God chose you before the foundations of the world

2. God sent someone to present the Gospel to you

2a. God breathed the scriptures preached to you

2b. The events portrayed in scripture are true (which, of course, necessitates the existence of God)

3. The Holy Spirit (God) convicted you of your sin

3a. You understood that your sin was an offense to God

4. You received Christ (God) and His atonement on the cross for your sin

4a. Christ's (God's) righteousness was imputed to you

4b. You were reconciled to God

5. You were adopted as a child of God

6. You have the Holy Spirit (God) living inside you

So, if you're an atheist and you don't believe God exists, how could these things be true and how could you have been a Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meissner

Apr 30, 2012
✟7,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Never could understand why atheists keep saying they used to be Christians when being a Christian requires a personal encounter with God.

2. God sent someone to present the Gospel to you

2a. God breathed the scriptures preached to you

2b. The events portrayed in scripture are true (which, of course, necessitates the existence of God)

3. The Holy Spirit (God) convicted you of your sin

3a. You understood that your sin was an offense to God

4. You received Christ (God) and His atonement on the cross for your sin

4a. Christ's (God's) righteousness was imputed to you

4b. You were reconciled to God

5. You were adopted as a child of God

6. You have the Holy Spirit (God) living inside you

So, if you're an atheist and you don't believe God exists, how could these things be true and how could you have been a Christian?

Very simple actually, I believed all those things before and found later that I was wrong to believe them.

no...What I'm saying is that I used to believe such things, not that it actually happened, big difference.

You are committing a "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Upvote 0

Meissner

Apr 30, 2012
✟7,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus loves you. You will never match the comfort and purpose He offers anywhere else.

I find more comfort and purpose in my 3 beautiful daughters and my wife than I ever did in the faith thankyou very much, your statement is void of meaning or substance.

Wotan loves you. You will never match the comfort and purpose He offers anywhere else.

^^^^
Are you convinced by this?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, I'm not. But then I've never searched out Wotan, and neither have I ever heard of anyone's heart or life being changed by him.

Just trying to help, friend. If you're looking for debate, you won't find it from me. And quite frankly, I doubt you'll find it from God either. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

And since I greatly dislike going around in circles, I will wish you well and unsub at this point.

Upvote 0

Meissner

Apr 30, 2012
✟7,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm not. But then I've never searched out Wotan, and neither have I ever heard of anyone's heart or life being changed by him.

Just trying to help, friend. If you're looking for debate, you won't find it from me. And quite frankly, I doubt you'll find it from God either. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

And since I greatly dislike going around in circles, I will wish you well and unsub at this point.

Well congratulations for making yourself feel like you have helped when you have actually done nothing.

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0