1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

At what point does it become dishonest?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Matthewj1985, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Matthewj1985

Matthewj1985 New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    So I am pretty big in the creation/evolution debate and 1 thing I see a lot is a creationist using an argument, have that argument proven wrong (no transitional fossils for example) but then trying to use the argument again in another thread. As a Christian, what point does this become bearing false witness?

2. consol

consol New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    Creationism is a law unto itself, creationism can and must be protected with what ever it takes,
    to a creationist, sin is not an issue, if you are defending creationism it's not a sin,
    lies are OK if the lies defend creationism, the book is everything, so do whatever it takes,
    creationists are lying to themselves anyway so lying for Jesus is perfectly acceptable,
    for them, two wrongs make one right, creationism being the right one.

seeker777 likes this.
  3. sbvera13

sbvera13 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Considering that they believ themselves to be telling the truth, and that the world (God's creation, and thus by extension, God himself) is lying to them in order to test their faith, I don't think they will admit to creationism being "bearing false witness."

How they rationalize worshiping a deceitful god I don't know.

4. TheGnome

TheGnome Evil Atheist Conspiracy PR Guy

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    If they aren't lying to us, then they're lying to themselves.

5. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Transitional fossils have NOTHING to do with Creationism. Even Evolutionists don't believe they appeared in the first six days of the universe's existence; nor do Atheists; nor do scientists.

6. BananaSlug

BananaSlug Life is an experiment, experience it!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Many creationists do not have any inkling of any sort in the realm of science. Arguments against evolution range from using the Second Law of Thermodynamics to quote mining. I think quote mining is the most despicable of the arguments they use. There are three explanations to explain the mining of quotes:
    1. Not reading thoroughly.
    2. Not checking the original source of the quote.
    3. Outright false witness- some mined quotes are so obvious it is hard to chalk it up to an accident...

7. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because the Creation had nothing to do with science. In fact, science hadn't even been created yet.

Think about it --- if you define science as the observation of the natural universe, then science didn't even come about until Day Six, with Adam - (unless you claim the angels engaged in science before that).

Creationists, in my opinion, need to suspend science when it comes to debating Creationism; no matter how educated they are.

8. sbvera13

sbvera13 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Something tells me that AV doesn't realize just how right he is.

9. RobertByers

RobertByers Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    There are no transitional fossils.
    In fact this is a major problem for evolution.
    Evolution must should great numbers of transitions for even one line of something.
    No cheap pinpricks of fossils and pronouncements of transitions.
    A transition must have many transitions beside it to verify its a transition and not just a creature adapted to its world with bits and pieces coincedentaly different creatures have.
    Evolution has tried to go cheap on transitions when its great claims need them by the heap.

10. consol

consol New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    You are the only one in touch with the truth Robert, God bless you.

11. DrunkenWrestler

DrunkenWrestler Eat your Wheaties and know your logical fallacies.

Faith:
    Atheist
    When the creationist's lips are moving.

12. DrunkenWrestler

DrunkenWrestler Eat your Wheaties and know your logical fallacies.

Faith:
    Atheist
    Creationism isn't too different from any other superstition that exists in the world today. When an astrological reading fails, or when a homeopathic remedy doesn't work, or when a dowsing rod doesn't find water, the practitioners don't try to figure out what went wrong. They just move on to the next customer.

A silly thing like a flawed argument shouldn't stop a creationist from spreading the Truth(tm) right?

13. sbvera13

sbvera13 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Considering how many times RobertByers has been educated by the forumgoers here about transitionals, and he still says the exact same thing about them, he probably makes a prefect case study.

So, does RB actually believe his statements, (making him wrong, but not dishonest); does he know the evidence is against him and is refusing to accept it, either by making excuses for God or blaming it on the Evil Evolution Conspiracy (making him delusional, but not dishonest); or does he deliberately choose to say something that he knows is a false representation of evolution (making him dishonest)?

14. Danyc

Danyc Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Humanist
    lol

15. Washington

Washington New Member

Faith:
    Agnostic
    I think it's all a matter of necessary denial. Any and all evidence that goes against creationism is, by default, bad evidence and doesn't merit further consideration. End of story. There may be attempts to set the evolutionist straight, speaking to evolutionist arguments, but it's never done honestly, that is, with an open AND fair mind. Evolutionary evidence first receives an "It can't be true" stamp.
    This would be amusing if it didn't impact so many people---half the population in the USA---and deprive them of a significant understanding of our world. But as with many forms of ignorance, if it doesn't impact their lives in any recognizable way, it becomes a matter of, "So what?" "So what that I'm closed minded and don't know the specifics of what I'm against. It's enough to know that the people I respect (my preacher and such) are agin' it, even if they don't know the specifics either. I've picked a religion that feels good to me, so whatever it says must be right. Excuse me now, I've got a dead squirrel that needs skinnin'"

Split Rock likes this.
  16. consol

consol New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    We worried about the Russians for years, little did we know that it was religion that was the real enemy of freedom.

MoonLancer likes this.
  17. sbvera13

sbvera13 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    [derail] We did know it. Read the writings of Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Thomas Paine, Alexander Pope, Voltaire, etc. All these people lived under a theocratic dictator (King of England, King of France, respectively) and knew full well what kind of power abuses theocracy produced. I suppose it was just dumb luck that the establishment clause is the 1st ammendment to the US Constitution? Of course, that doesn't mean the majority knew it. [/derail]

18. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    And we thank you for giving us the Christian's Magna Charta ---

[​IMG]

19. eMesreveR

eMesreveR The Light Fantastic

Faith:
    Humanist
    are those pictures necessary T.T
    i see you do that all the time

just sayin'

it's like

they're not even links

why can't you just write "The Book of Galatians"

20. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    A picture is worth a thousand words --- I just don't have the time to type them all.