Astronomy

astronomer

Apr 15, 2011
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Astronomy comes up often in discussions about God so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the subject. I'm new and still learning how to navigate these forums but I didn't see any place where astronomy was being discussed so I suppose this is as good as place as any to start.
I'm only an amateur astronomer and I hope this thread title will catch the eye of someone with more knowledge than me and he or she will take the lead in the discussions.
For now, I think it would be nice if someone would start the conversation with something they're interested in and we'll take it from there. If not, I'll post something tomorrow to get the ball rolling. Roger

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not even an amateur here :D

I need to get a new mount for my scope (needed one for the last few years)

I've got a 4.5" Reflecting dish good enough to see the spot on Jupiter & the Rings on Saturn though :)

One of these days I'll get it back set up and I'd love to have it computer controlled with a good CCD so I can watch events from the comfort my my office :D

Upvote 0

astronomer

Apr 15, 2011
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that was a quick response! You put a smile on my face. I like this website already!
Do you think there's going to be much of an interest in this subject? I sure hope so because God, family and astronomy are my top 3 priorities in life and this thread covers two of them. Nice to meet you. Thanks for responding, Roger
By the way, what brand is your telescope? I have an Orion XT10 Dobsonian.

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Seeking the middle path.....
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love astronomy but haven't done much sky watching of late. My interest in astronomy began when I first started reading science fiction in the 3rd Grade. After reading fictional books about travels to Vega, Ganymede and Betelgeuse, imagine my surprise to learn those were real places. This is when I began reading books about astronomy at a time when America was in a race to the Moon against the Soviet Union.

Recently, I gave my girlfriend an iPad. She's mostly interested in Facebook, but I had her install Star Walk on it. We'll have some fun with that on a clear, moonless night.

Upvote 0

Doctor Strangelove

Oct 5, 2012
United States
✟16,773.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm interested in astronomy - have been interested in it since childhood. I sometimes go to meetings of the local astronomy club. I have binoculars but right now no really good telescope. Also interested in radio astronomy. Would also like to someday get a spectrograph with a suitable telescope.

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

Astronomy comes up often in discussions about God so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the subject. I'm new and still learning how to navigate these forums but I didn't see any place where astronomy was being discussed so I suppose this is as good as place as any to start.
I'm only an amateur astronomer and I hope this thread title will catch the eye of someone with more knowledge than me and he or she will take the lead in the discussions.
For now, I think it would be nice if someone would start the conversation with something they're interested in and we'll take it from there. If not, I'll post something tomorrow to get the ball rolling. Roger

You know I've always wanted to get into astronomy, but I'm an amateur just like you. But I came across an interesting lesson about how to build your own telescope.

Looking up at the night sky has always given my a sense of awe of just how big God is and it has made me feel like an insignificant speck.

God is bigger and greater than the Universe that He made, and thinking about that is mind-staggering.

Upvote 0