MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What you say makes a lot of sense Llewelyn. When I was young I went to church all the time. I was learning so much and loved worshiping God.

Now I go to church and almost everything I hear I already know. I still love worship, yet I also am aware that my whole life is worship to God. So I don't
need to be in church to worship God. I love Jesus as much as ever. So I don't think its losing my 1st love. It is a mature love that is different than when
I was young.

My Bible studies have let me to view some things the churches I've attended differently than I was taught. Like I just listened to Hal Lindsey. What he teaches
on the end times has been proven wrong so many times since Christ didn't come back within 40 years of Israel becoming a nation. My church still teaches we
shouldn't drink when the Bible never says that. I don't even drink as I don't like the taste. But are we living by the Bible or not! So its hard to be as enthusiastic
as I used to be when I see them missing things.

Finally, when I was in church all the time I wasn't out there meeting non believers that much. A few years ago, God asked me to be a friend to people. So
I've gone out to meet people where they are and have been a friend. Its totally changed my life. Life has become so much fun. The decusscions I've had with people about life and spirituality, what others are interested in, every one I meet wants more love in their life. Its been so different than we are all sinners and need to repent. Its more like I want to love and I don't know how. But we are all learning and telling each other about how to love. Which to me ties into Jesus saying to love God and to love people.

Ya, its community and I've not had a lot of that in church sense I was part of the Jesus people.

So I'll not be going to church 6 or even 3 days a week. One works well for me. The rest of my church experience is out with the people learning more about being a friend by loving them. Oh, after I was friending people they start to say words of appreciation about what a great guy I am. So I started to learn how to say kind words back to people. In one of those exchanges God said that is me saying I'm your friend. One of the most meaningful things God has ever said to me.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is a joy when the Holy Spirit pours out in a congregation,for that matter even between 2 people on a sidewalk.

I have a Brother in Christ that often we stand talking about the Word, and one of us often will get the anointing to Preach.
We are 2 persons but one body in Christ, one thing we both have in common is we know when the power is rising up and we we pay no attention to passers by.

We know our words are for those around us listening ,but we as well are not ashamed to worship in a public place.

We are of different skin color only on earth,I truly believe God gave us this friendship for his glory.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Mmmm...it would be interesting to hear someone in an Australian AoG congregation speaking in tongues during a meeting; of course we might have to explain to the senior minister exactly what tongues is.

It is an infrequent thing here to be sure but we have had a couple of incidents of tongues and interpretation in Molong NSW. It is a small country church family but we believe in the operation of the gifts of the Spirit. Here's a little song I wrote for our worship.

Heavenly Father, we are here to worship you;
We see you lifted high and your glory fills this place,
Your presence manifested by the Holy Spirit's gifts.
For by one a word of wisdom, another speaks knowledge,
and a third prophesies by your Spirit, Lord;
There are tongues, interpretation, and a gift of faith,
And another's working miracles in the name of Jesus Christ.
Use me, oh Lord, use me, I pray,
Fill up and use this vessel of clay,
I am your servant, command me today,
In the presence of your people,
Come, oh Lord, and have your way.
© 2015 L K Stevenson

I'm afraid its not contemporary but it is what I believe should be our common experience.

Here's a dropbox link if you'd like to listen to a demo.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/891o1gi044cp9tp/AACky-GZsxFJEHL3wbXJKizsa?dl=0

God bless you all.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
What you say makes a lot of sense Llewelyn. When I was young I went to church all the time. I was learning so much and loved worshiping God.

Now I go to church and almost everything I hear I already know. I still love worship, yet I also am aware that my whole life is worship to God. So I don't
need to be in church to worship God. I love Jesus as much as ever. So I don't think its losing my 1st love. It is a mature love that is different than when
I was young.

My Bible studies have let me to view some things the churches I've attended differently than I was taught. Like I just listened to Hal Lindsey. What he teaches
on the end times has been proven wrong so many times since Christ didn't come back within 40 years of Israel becoming a nation. My church still teaches we
shouldn't drink when the Bible never says that. I don't even drink as I don't like the taste. But are we living by the Bible or not! So its hard to be as enthusiastic
as I used to be when I see them missing things.

Finally, when I was in church all the time I wasn't out there meeting non believers that much. A few years ago, God asked me to be a friend to people. So
I've gone out to meet people where they are and have been a friend. Its totally changed my life. Life has become so much fun. The decusscions I've had with people about life and spirituality, what others are interested in, every one I meet wants more love in their life. Its been so different than we are all sinners and need to repent. Its more like I want to love and I don't know how. But we are all learning and telling each other about how to love. Which to me ties into Jesus saying to love God and to love people.

Ya, its community and I've not had a lot of that in church sense I was part of the Jesus people.

So I'll not be going to church 6 or even 3 days a week. One works well for me. The rest of my church experience is out with the people learning more about being a friend by loving them. Oh, after I was friending people they start to say words of appreciation about what a great guy I am. So I started to learn how to say kind words back to people. In one of those exchanges God said that is me saying I'm your friend. One of the most meaningful things God has ever said to me.

That's quite ok. Sometimes we forget that God has chosen us to reach out. Since I'm not at church all day I don't see it as going to church 3 days a week, but I think I understand what you're saying.

You see, on Monday morning I witnessed to a friend in the business place. It wasn't aggressive 4 spiritual laws type witnessing, just sharing Jesus and what he means to me. By nightfall I was longing for someone to pray with for Paul & Val, who need to know Jesus loves them sincerely. So I visited my mum and dad who live in the same town and we had a prayer meeting. On Tuesday I witnessed to Balinda. Fortunately I had an appointment with Nathan [a local pastor] at the Mezzanine cafe. Another impromptu prayer meeting. Wednesday I was studying the word while I'm praying for Forbes to come to revival and wanted to confirm my thoughts were in line with God's so another visit to Bill and Fiona for a Bible study, or discussion if you like. Tuesday night is our Revival Prayer meeting and Thursday evening is our Bible Study. Saturday night we have breaking of bread and on Sunday I'm either in Molong Community Church or I'm at Forbes Generocity Church. During the week I've been speaking with Cindy, Kevin [praying for his healing and salvation], Ken and Margaret, Melinda, and others whose names I'm not sure of. Unfortunately I upset a lady at one of my delivery points because I said Obama shouldn't be allowed a third term and that I didn't believe in same sex marriages, but that's the way of politics, we don't all agree.

My friendship with God's people is as important as my friendship with the lost, whom I am seeking on behalf of Christ. To do what God has called us to is extremely important. May God grant you all success.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WOFFER

Woffie
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2003
Ann Arbor MI
✟29,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I said in my OP, I was saved in an AOG church. I then attended a Charismatic church for about 10 years. We attended World Harvest Church for 3 years when I was in Bible College. (Rod Parsley's Church) After that I attended a Word of Faith church for about 5 years, but things got really goofy there. I moved to a Church of Christ church for a break from goofyness. We went there for 5 years and when my wife and I moved, we started attending this AOG church. I can't tell any difference in this AOG church and the Church of Christ church which is a shame.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
As I said in my OP, I was saved in an AOG church. I then attended a Charismatic church for about 10 years. We attended World Harvest Church for 3 years when I was in Bible College. (Rod Parsley's Church) After that I attended a Word of Faith church for about 5 years, but things got really goofy there. I moved to a Church of Christ church for a break from goofyness. We went there for 5 years and when my wife and I moved, we started attending this AOG church. I can't tell any difference in this AOG church and the Church of Christ church which is a shame.

Wow that is strange.

I have never attended a Church of Christ, but know people who are and have worked in their Churches.

I would not consider them similar to any AOG, but these are strange times.

Upvote 0

Adopted Son

Aug 16, 2015
✟7,727.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would agree with iambren. I grew up in AG churches and am currently involved in one. In our church the baptism in the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit are taught on and the gifts of the Spirit are in operation at times, but I've thought about this and have concluded that with the 3 services and strict time schedule, the move of the Holy Spirit is often stifled. This is why I have come to love Sunday evening services even more than the morning. I feel that it is mostly the people who really want to seek God who attend Sunday evening and we have only one service and a bit less of a time schedule, though pastor is still pressured to end the evening service on time as well because some people complain that they must get their kids to bed, or it is too late for them to stay themselves. I've observed that we don't make time for the Holy Spirit. I also think that many in the congregation are not as passionate about seeking God as they once were as a whole. People want to be able to get home to catch their TV show or play on the internet (Ha,here I am sitting on the computer myself). The AG in my home state has ended statewide meetings such as Family Camp and such, which were awesome times at growing closer to God and times of being empowered by the Spirit. I think the individualism in our culture has invaded the church. It is tough to grow in the things of God alone and so much better to do so in community.

Since my experience is mostly in the AG, I don't know if this is solely an issue within the AG or the church as a whole, but it did seem the same in the Calvary Chapel church I attended for a couple years as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Really to me at this point of knowing what I know about different churches, having attended quite a few different churches and several denominations we really do have a lot of similarities. Yes, there are differences and some were quite noticeable yes none of them were big enough that I had to leave a church over them. Usually I changed churches because I moved, but I also changed churches when one church brought in a couple to pastor that I knew I wasn't a good fit for and then my EX asked me to change churches when we divorced.
I guess the biggest change I see in church people is there are so much to experience in this world God created. Years ago, the church was a major source of entertainment, a major place we could go to find good music and were we could find good people often that would help us in real ways. Yet the world has learned a lot of things, from sociology and anthropology to psychiatry and eastern views of humans. Each of these things has some truth that helps people for if they didn't help then people wouldn't spend money on them nor waste their time with them. So the church is just one place. They only thing that I have experienced that will change all of those things is a revival of God pouring out His Holy Spirit with so much love, power, healing and most of all giving people a sense that they have a relationship with God that all those other things become boring in some way. I don't know if the church will ever be able to bring in a ministry technique of somatic healing, a breathing technique so we can get out of our mind and into our body. Can we ever realize that God created our body, came to live in a human body, wants to heal our body and is planning to resurrect our body or will we be stuck thinking our body is part of the flesh and be ashamed of the feelings the body has! Will we see God created pleasure for our body, facts and knowledge for our mind, emotions for our heart and love for all. Or we can separate because I speak in tongues, you believe in law/grace, I believe in maturity, you believe in perfection, continue lists etc ... all pretty minor stuff as I few them.

Upvote 0